Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #766
dracodoc
Connoisseur
dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony T1
This is really not a good direction. What is Amazon thinking? Push away numerous volunteer developers that solving problems for their half-baked products?

I think I cannot use a kindle without KPV too, the original UI is so user-unfriendly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
Don't buy it at least for now. AMAZON is forcing PW to upgrade to 5.3.0 firmware, which wipes out all the jailbreaks and hacks. They are declaring wars on kindle hacker community now.

I just finshed single/double tap and hold gesture detection last night and was about to test it this morning on my PW, and it turns out it has been auto-upgraded to 5.3.0 without asking me (because I forgot to turn into ariplane mode).

I have never read anybook on my PW so far becuase the native reader sucks so much.
dracodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:36 AM   #767
tigran
Zealot
tigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Aura One,HD,H2O,Touch,Mini,Kindle 3+DXG,Nook Simple Touch
Hmmm, this is very worrying... Can this happen on a Kindle 3 too? I.e. upgrading without my consent AND without me even turning on WiFi/3G? If so, then I would be very interested in a hack to PREVENT this from happening. KPV on Kindle 3 is, for me, a "mission critical" application and I don't want to wake up one day to see the device "auto-upgraded" with something that disables it.

What I am saying is that they may turn on WiFi "behind my back" and download the latest firmware and upgrade the device. Is this at all possible? Does anyone know the answer?

I found this suggestion:

# mv /etc/uks /etc/uks.disabled

Is this a good idea or will it disable ALL TODO requests, e.g. getting a book via WiFi? I want to disable just the auto-updating.

Last edited by tigran; 11-20-2012 at 05:57 AM.
tigran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:05 AM   #768
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Way better is to raise the minimum charge level for an update to 115 % in /etc/updater.conf

Code:
# Minimum battery required for an update (percent)
_MIN_BATT=115
I have also an idea on how to prevent the Amazon updates from even being successfully downloaded...
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:08 AM   #769
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
On the K3, the impact of such an update is smaller than on K4/K5/KPW since we have USB downloader mode on K3 and ATK/k3flasher.

PS: I suggest to keep this thread on-topic, i.e. discuss kpdfviewer here. There are other threads that deal with Amazon's policies and technical approaches to keep Amazon from updating.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #770
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
On the K3, the impact of such an update is smaller than on K4/K5/KPW since we have USB downloader mode on K3 and ATK/k3flasher.
K4/KT also have USB downloader mode, AFAIK more powerful than on K3. K4/KT owners are ultimately safe from any Amazon updates (though, the solution - custom U-Boot/Linux build for executing through USB downloader mode - isn't implemented ATM).

In fact, PW also have exactly the same USB downloader mode as K4/KT (because it's a SoC feature), but nobody know how to activate it (yet?).
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:25 AM   #771
tigran
Zealot
tigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Aura One,HD,H2O,Touch,Mini,Kindle 3+DXG,Nook Simple Touch
We now have the new 2012.11 release of KPV available at:

https://github.com/hwhw/kindlepdfviewer/wiki/Download

The list of changes that went into this release is found at the above URL, just under the download link.
tigran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #772
George's Kindle
Enthusiast
George's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beautyGeorge's Kindle does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: kindle 3
Thanks for your outstanding work.

After using Doukan lite as a pdf viewer for over a year, I switched to KPV today.

I love it.
George's Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #773
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
my kindle dxg was broken for some time, finally today i got it repaired.

i can't believe pdf reflowing has been accomplished. it is great. i want to thank to every member of the team.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #774
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
It would be very useful as introduction and incentive to newbies if there were more youtube videos on zooming modes, gamma correction, installation procedure etc.

I have found just these two lately

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PauN_9O4dM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moiRFi6Ttp4

Last edited by markom; 11-28-2012 at 06:39 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #775
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
My camera looks like ghosts have taken over it or "perhaps it's being operated by a poor sighted child", the few videos I have made are not a service or of service to anyone.

: ) You make some!!! I would watch : D
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #776
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
My camera looks like ghosts have taken over it or "perhaps it's being operated by a poor sighted child", the few videos I have made are not a service or of service to anyone.

: ) You make some!!! I would watch : D
They are good enough.

Please make another one on zooming A4 format in kindle DX by cutting the margins with Shift-X and rotating such zoomed pdf to landscape mode with K button.

Last edited by markom; 11-28-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #777
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually I was thinking

Spoiler:

Seriously . make some videos. people will thank you.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #778
markom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Actually I was thinking

Spoiler:

Seriously . make some videos. people will thank you.
Only camera I've got is bad one on my two year old mobile phone.

So it will probably have to wait until I change my iPad 1 for iPad 4

It did cross my mind though, because it is a lot easier and quicker for non-english speaking people to realize advantages of any application this way.

Last edited by markom; 11-28-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #779
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
Only camera I've got is bad one on my two year old mobile phone.

So it will probably have to wait until I change my iPad 1 for iPad 4

It did cross my mind though, because it is a lot easier and quicker for non-english speaking people to realize advantages of any application this way.
I totally agree. and PDFViewer is an excellent product. For many languages.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #780
jackhulk
Connoisseur
jackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjackhulk has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: K3 3G
I'm having problems getting this to run on my K3GB 3.4.

I've installed jailbreak successfully (tested with screensaver), installed Launchpad, and then created folder "customupdates" on root of Kindle
and copied kindlepdfviewer-master.zip to customupdates.

Ejected, press Shift-Shift-I and 'Success' message is displayed. I then press Shift-Shift-Space and again receive 'Success' message. Finally I press Shift-P-D but nothing happens?

I uninstalled jailbreak completely, and started from scratch again to make sure I hadn't made a mistake, but I still get the same result.

Uninstalled jailbreak again, and thought I'd have better luck with Kite, but where installation says "Kite should now present two new pseudo-documents for starting KPDFviewer", I get nothing. I know Kite is installed correctly as the screensaver.sh ran successfully via ondrop, and I see the 'Kite enabled' on restart, but apart from that, I can't see any difference and no new documents are visible.

I've been at this for hours, seems straight forward but I'm clearly going wrong somewhere, but where?
jackhulk is offline   Reply With Quote