Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-30-2017, 04:52 AM   #256
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
So since this topic got revived... I think it's fair to conclude this 4-year-old hypothesis by saying that Goodreads definitely did not get destroyed. I use it and enjoy it.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:10 AM   #257
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Shelfari got destroyed instead.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2017, 08:55 AM   #258
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Shelfari got destroyed instead.
Shelfari was a mess before Amazon bought Goodreads.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:24 AM   #259
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Goodreads could use a gigantic overhaul of its interface though.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:24 AM   #260
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
I don't use GR much anymore. I was very active there for a long time, but the groups tend to die off. Shelfari had some good book discussions, but it was dying off too. GR is good for tracking books, but I don't review much on there anymore.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2017, 01:18 PM   #261
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One of the prob;ems of GoodReads is the staff. A lot of them are just a bunch of farts. Some of the rules are stupid and very inflexible.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:32 PM   #262
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One of the prob;ems of GoodReads is the staff. A lot of them are just a bunch of farts. Some of the rules are stupid and very inflexible.
Any example? Because I think some of them are too "wide".
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:40 PM   #263
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Any example? Because I think some of them are too "wide".
One rule is that is annoying is the cover. They won't replace a cover unless it's from the author's site or the publisher's site. So if all you can find it a low resolution cover they won't use a hi-res cover from somewhere else even if it's the same image as the one from an official site. Also, they used to get covers from B&N and they came with rounded corners and they would not replace them.

Page numbers for eBooks (i.e., ePub) have to be the page number that's incorrectly published since it's a pBook page number. ADE displayes the correct page number for an ePub.

And then if there is a new cover for an eBook, they insist on making a new entry for it but because the system won't allow ISBN to be used more than once, the new entry has no ISBN numbers.

Those are some of the problems.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:48 PM   #264
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
None of which have ever affected my GR experience in the slightest.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:00 PM   #265
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
One rule is that is annoying is the cover. They won't replace a cover unless it's from the author's site or the publisher's site. So if all you can find it a low resolution cover they won't use a hi-res cover from somewhere else even if it's the same image as the one from an official site. Also, they used to get covers from B&N and they came with rounded corners and they would not replace them.

Page numbers for eBooks (i.e., ePub) have to be the page number that's incorrectly published since it's a pBook page number. ADE displayes the correct page number for an ePub.

And then if there is a new cover for an eBook, they insist on making a new entry for it but because the system won't allow ISBN to be used more than once, the new entry has no ISBN numbers.

I don't find them a problem, really. And about ADE... well, sorry, I agree with them: publisher.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:12 PM   #266
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I don't find them a problem, really. And about ADE... well, sorry, I agree with them: publisher.
But the page number they insist on using is wrong. It's a different edition with a different page number.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:14 PM   #267
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
But the page number they insist on using is wrong. It's a different edition with a different page number.
Most readers just don't care about ebook page-numbers, Jon. Especially when it comes to consuming fiction.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:18 PM   #268
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
And ADE "page numbers" are only "right" for devices and apps that use ADE's numbering schemes. Just can't see page numbers in an eBook worth worrying about much in the sense that GR uses them.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:09 PM   #269
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I'm not a fan of the ADE "page" numbers. I tend to go and look up a paper edition if my ebook doesn't have reasonable size pages. I didn't care at all until I started tracking page counts, but if I am counting them I want them to be vaguely meaningful. ADE pages are about as useful as Amazon locations.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:23 PM   #270
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The only use I get out of a page numbers is using them for reference purposes. When I put a book down I need to know at what point I stopped reading the book. Before eBooks, I would memorize the page number I stopped at. Now the book remembers where I stopped and I do not have to do even that.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote