Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 05:18 AM   #1
Aerys
Connoisseur
Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.

Device: iPad 2 & Nexus 7
Alternative to <ruby> tag

Anyone know how to make a "facsimile" of what the <ruby> tag can display in MOBI?
Aerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:49 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
KindleGen 2.7x supports the <ruby> tag in KF8 files.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
Aerys
Connoisseur
Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.

I don't know if it's just a bug but using the <ruby> tag makes the "ruby base" character invisible for "Kindle Paperwhite" mode for the Kindle Previewer 2.71 which is why I'm looking for an alternative.

No problem with the display of the <ruby> for Kindle Fire but unfortunately I need it for "Kindle Paperwhite" since it's the only one to support Japanese "vertical" writing at the moment.

Here's a screenie of the output display of the <ruby> tag (in red) for KindleFire vs KindlePaperwhite.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenie.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	97493  
Old 12-09-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Kindle Previewer is notoriously unreliable when it comes to displaying complex non-Latin text. You may want to test your Japanese book on an actual Kindle, because even my old K3 displays horizontal Ruby text fine in spite of KP saying it doesn't.
IMHO, it's safe to assume that all current eInk Kindle models (i.e., K3 and higher) support at least horizontal Ruby text.

Spoiler:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title></title>

<style type="text/css">
body {font-size: 130% }
</style>
</head>

<body>
<h3>Simple Ruby test</h3>

<p><ruby><rb>東</rb><rp>(</rp><rt>とう</rt><rp>)</rp> <rb>京</rb><rp>(</rp><rt>きょう</rt><rp>)</rp></ruby></p>
</body>
</html>

BTW, what kind of CSS did you use to format the vertical Ruby text?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	97496  
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:19 AM   #5
Aerys
Connoisseur

@Doitsu,

Thanks a lot.

I finally found the problem with the <ruby> tag at my end. The embedded Japanese font I had was causing the characters inside the ruby tag not to be displayed. I might need to dig further why it happened since it only shows up on "vertical" writing mode or you might be correct that it might be an issue with KindlePreviewer.

I'm using ePub3 code "-epub-writing-mode: vertical-rl;" in the CSS of the BODY tag to display the whole page in "vertical right to left". It works for "Kindle Paperwhite", ADE 2.+, and iBooks 3. I haven't gotten to testing it on the Nook or Kobo if it works on them too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenie2.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	97497  
Advert
Old 03-28-2013, 02:45 AM   #6
totsubo
totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I was looking at how to include furigana (ruby) in my book for the Paperwhite and just noticed this in the official Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines:

Quote:
Support for Chinese, Japanese, and Korean Text
The Kindle family of devices has limited support for Chinese, Japanese, and Korean text. The Kindle
Readers for e Ink devices and applications can render horizontal left to right Chinese, Japanese, and
Korean text. They have limited font support for the CJK characters. There is no support for right to left
vertical scripts and no support for Japanese Ruby script.
This might explain what you're seeing in the Previewer.
totsubo is offline   Reply With Quote