Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 08-23-2011, 02:20 AM   #1
greatparthi
greatparthi began at the beginning.

Device: none
Exclamation Need Help In Creating .MOBI

Hi Geeks,

Think i,m totally new to this EBook Domain. I'm Quite familiar with epub format. so i have created Separate html files in chapterwise for e pub format. and i do have .opf and .ncx file. now i want to create the same book in .mobi format for my kindle 2.
let me explain the scenario:
1. i have some 20 html files (for a single PDF Book).
2. opf and .ncx (compatible for .epub format).

now what are all the steps i need to follow the get these files in .mobi format. i'm totally dummy (novice) at this point, step by step guidance will be appreciable. thanks.

P.S: i heard more about calibre and mobiperl while surfing this forum.. and i'm quite confused. take i dont want to use calibre as it is too easy for this process...i want to create everything on my own....will any one help me....
for your kind info: i do have some nice grasping power..and also some programming knowledge.

PS1: In the same time i want to include Audio/Video files.. in mobi format books.. i want to know the .opf media type and all.....ill be thankful...thanks in advance.
greatparthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:15 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatparthi View Post
PS1: In the same time i want to include Audio/Video files.. in mobi format books..
Right, and I want a truck loaded with gold. Audio and video are not supported in ePUB, much less in mobipocket.

If you want to create everything on your own, forget about using ePUB as a source format for mobipocket. ePUB supports CSS, and mobipocket does not, so directly converting ePUB to mobipocket can be quite frustrating. Better learn the pseudo-HTML that mobipocket supports and work from there.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2011, 05:00 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatparthi View Post
Hi Geeks,

Think i,m totally new to this EBook Domain. I'm Quite familiar with epub format. so i have created Separate html files in chapterwise for e pub format. and i do have .opf and .ncx file. now i want to create the same book in .mobi format for my kindle 2.
let me explain the scenario:
1. i have some 20 html files (for a single PDF Book).
2. opf and .ncx (compatible for .epub format).

now what are all the steps i need to follow the get these files in .mobi format. i'm totally dummy (novice) at this point, step by step guidance will be appreciable. thanks.

P.S: i heard more about calibre and mobiperl while surfing this forum.. and i'm quite confused. take i dont want to use calibre as it is too easy for this process...i want to create everything on my own....will any one help me....
for your kind info: i do have some nice grasping power..and also some programming knowledge.

PS1: In the same time i want to include Audio/Video files.. in mobi format books.. i want to know the .opf media type and all.....ill be thankful...thanks in advance.
If you want that level of control, use Kindlegen. It will take ePubs and ePub source as input, and will do some conversion of CSS to Mobipocket formatting.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:22 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Right, and I want a truck loaded with gold. Audio and video are not supported in ePUB, much less in mobipocket.
They are supported, though, for Kindle eBooks. There's a sample which comes with "Kindlegen" illustrating how to create eBooks with multimedia content. Such books will only be viewable on the various Kindle apps for PC, iPad, etc; they can't be viewed on a Kindle reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:03 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They are supported, though, for Kindle eBooks. ... they can't be viewed on a Kindle reader.
Go figure!
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
...Such books will only be viewable on the various Kindle apps for PC, iPad, etc; they can't be viewed on a Kindle reader.
The books can be viewed on a Kindle device. Its just that the audio and/or video will be missing. When properly coded the book will display alternate text instead of either the audio or video.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:18 AM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
They are supported, though, for Kindle eBooks. There's a sample which comes with "Kindlegen" illustrating how to create eBooks with multimedia content. Such books will only be viewable on the various Kindle apps for PC, iPad, etc; they can't be viewed on a Kindle reader.
Yes, which would be more fascinating if the provided sample ("Jabberwocky") actually worked on an iPad--which it does not. Amazon knows it doesn't.

Now go figure that.

Nonetheless, for the everyday user and author, even if he could get his mobis to have audio and video, you can't upload them through the KDP, so at most he could listen/see his a/v on only his own iPad, sideloaded to Kindle for iPad.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote