Notices

Old 12-14-2010, 05:17 AM   #1
pimpoum
Enthusiast
pimpoum began at the beginning.

Device: none
creating a TOC for MOBI

Hi all,

Is there a way to create a TOC for mobi files from scratch?

(I'd rather fetch this TOC from my already existing PDF bookmarks but that's another post of mine HERE)

Thanks
pimpoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Yes. You can use two types of TOC with the Mobi format, which can co-exist at the same time:

1) an html TOC which shows up as a regular "page" in the book itself and is what pops up when Kindle users navigate to the "Table of Contents" entry in the Menu

2) an ncx TOC which is otherwise invisible, but provides chapter marks which show up as black dots in the location bar that Kindle users can flick the five-way controller back and forth to jump between spots

I have no idea how these things would show up on other Mobipocket readers.

For the 1st option, just create a regular HTML file with links to the positions in the text, and before you generate the Mobi, include it in the <guide> items of the OPF as <reference type="toc" title="Table of Contents" href="toc.html" />

This ensures that the Kindle will correctly pick it up as a navigable Menu item.

For the 2nd option, you'll have to create an NCX file and link it from the OPF. Here's another thread with an example in it: Authoring Kindle eBooks with Chapter Markers. It's pretty easy, just a little tedious to fill in the PlayOrder info, though there are probably tools to automate the process.

You can modify pre-existing Mobi files by unpacking them using Mobiunpack and regenerating them through KindleGen or Mobiperl or Calibre or other software.

If you've got access to the source files, you're better off creating an ePub first, then generating a Mobi from that, than converting directly from Mobi. ePub files are considerably easy to create, tweak, and maintain, whereas for Mobi you basically have to dissasemble and recompile them every time you want to change things.

Hope this helps.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've recommended going ePub > Mobi quite often. ePub is the easiest format to edit of any eBook format. And if well made, the ePub will convert fairly well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've recommended going ePub > Mobi quite often. ePub is the easiest format to edit of any eBook format. And if well made, the ePub will convert fairly well.
^ I agree 110%...

I love my Kindle and don't ever want to consider another reader but that doesn't mean I necessarily love mobi. The epub/Sigil/Calibre combo is impossible to beat in my opinion. I create/edit all of my ebooks in Sigil and convert to mobi for final reading. When I'm done, I have my final epub and the mobi for my Kindle. If I ever notice a mistake or need to make a change or ever get a reader other than my Kindle, I have the epub to fall back on.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post
^ I agree 110%...

I love my Kindle and don't ever want to consider another reader but that doesn't mean I necessarily love mobi. The epub/Sigil/Calibre combo is impossible to beat in my opinion. I create/edit all of my ebooks in Sigil and convert to mobi for final reading. When I'm done, I have my final epub and the mobi for my Kindle. If I ever notice a mistake or need to make a change or ever get a reader other than my Kindle, I have the epub to fall back on.

- Byron
And if you ever get a different reader that does ePub, you'll have your ePub eBooks if you want to read them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert