Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
blaser
Enthusiast
blaser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
DXG version 3.4

Can DXG upgraded from 3.3 to 3.4?
If yes how?

What are the advantages, disadvantages?
blaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I don't see any such version numbers for the DXG. The latest update on Amazon is 2.5.8.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529680
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
blaser
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I don't see any such version numbers for the DXG. The latest update on Amazon is 2.5.8.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529680

Look at the following link
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=172941
Old 11-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Your question would probably be best asked in that subforum.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I am 99% certain this was done by a couple of people.
You would have to hunt down the threads.

I found https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=510 which is related with no actual answer. maybe it was Dpavlin who did it? I honestly do not remember.

Last edited by twobob; 11-12-2012 at 10:26 AM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #6
budalb
Enthusiast
budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony PRS-600
Just did a semi-successful 3.4 firmware update to my DXG. I tried the update for KF8, but it is not working. Here are what I did. Hopefully some expert can fix the problem.

1) did 3.2.1 update with Yifan's instructions/tools.
2) did 3.3 update according to the link. This one may be an incomplete update.
3) downloaded 3.4 file from Amazon and unpacked it by kindletool. Deleted the patchs of fb.modes, webkit library and kernel. Repack the whole things into a new bin file. followed normal update.

At least the firmware version shows "3.4"

Settings of parental control, voice guide, etc are there. Font rendering is more like K4's. PDF contrast can be adjusted.

Last edited by budalb; 11-25-2012 at 08:54 AM.
budalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
blaser
Enthusiast

How do you pack it back into a bin file?
Old 12-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #8
budalb
Enthusiast
budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.budalb knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

use "kindletool create". You also need to delete those update to kernel modules. I only change the file "611680021-1725970040.ffs". A list of files I bypassed:

/usr/lib/libwebkit-1.0.so.2.5.0
/lib/modules/2.6.26-rt-lab126/kernel/drivers/video/eink/legacy/eink_fb_shim.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.26-rt-lab126/kernel/drivers/usb/gadget/g_file_storage.ko
/etc/init.d/wpa_supplicant
/etc/fb.modes
kernel update

Here is the steps I did:

1) download the bin file from amazon. The one for wifi+3G.
2) "kindletool convert xxx.bin". concert it to .tgz/.tar.gz file.
3) unarchive the .tgz/tar.gz file to a sub-directory.
4) cd into the sub-directory, use any txt editor to open "611680021-1725970040.ffs". delete those lines related to the list of files above. Save the file. I also delete the kernel item in "update-Update_611680021-1725970040.dat".
5) use "kindletool create ota --device dxg * update_3.4.bin" to repack the files.
6) copy update_3.4.bin to kindle and update.

Last edited by budalb; 12-01-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
budalb
Enthusiast

I just did some investigation. Here are what I got:

1) libwebkit patch failed due to memory issue. It looks DXG has no enough memory. I applied patch outside and copy it to kindle.
2) The KF8 issue is more complicated. htmlreader is used to process mobi8 files. htmlreader sends requests to a process "webreader". But the "webreader" crashes, probably due to incompatible rink_fb modules. The 3.4 was built on top of different kernel from DXG, so all the kernel module updates are not effective in DXG.

Attached is the crash messages.
Attached Files
File Type: txt webreader crash.txt (11.2 KB, 445 views)

Last edited by budalb; 12-02-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
blaser
Enthusiast

Do you see benefits to 3.4 on top of 3.3 on the DXG?
Is it worth to upgrade?
Old 01-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #11
bloor
bloor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG 3.2.1
Sent a PM budalb
bloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #12
Kobudera
Hungarian
Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by budalb View Post
Just did a semi-successful 3.4 firmware update to my DXG. I tried the update for KF8, but it is not working. Here are what I did. Hopefully some expert can fix the problem.

1) did 3.2.1 update with Yifan's instructions/tools.
2) did 3.3 update according to the link. This one may be an incomplete update.
3) downloaded 3.4 file from Amazon and unpacked it by kindletool. Deleted the patchs of fb.modes, webkit library and kernel. Repack the whole things into a new bin file. followed normal update.

At least the firmware version shows "3.4"

Settings of parental control, voice guide, etc are there. Font rendering is more like K4's. PDF contrast can be adjusted.
Hi!

Working Duokan Lite 7.6?
Kobudera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #13
misojogi
Enthusiast
misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.misojogi knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS -500, Sony PRS505, Kindle3, Kindle DXG, Prestigio
Can somebody uploads all files for upgrade Kindle DXG to 3,4?
misojogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #14
budalb
Enthusiast

I have listed the changes in my previous posts.

I failed to make KF8 format working due to kernel incompatibility. The long wake from long sleep isn't resolved either. The rest of updates are working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaser View Post
Do you see benefits to 3.4 on top of 3.3 on the DXG?
Is it worth to upgrade?
Old 02-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #15
budalb
Enthusiast

that will violate Amazon's copyright. I am not capable of making a patching tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misojogi View Post
Can somebody uploads all files for upgrade Kindle DXG to 3,4?