Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
cathie
Connoisseur
cathie doesn't littercathie doesn't littercathie doesn't litter

Device: kindle, Kindle Fire
Question hairline cracks

Just my luck. I got my K3 as a Christmas present from my better half last year. And have been blessed with no problems or accidents. Take my word for it that it's not usually the case for me.
But I notice that my K3 has developed a hairline fracture in the bottom right hand corner. Where the plastic casing meets the screen, the crack runs about a centimeter or so on an angle out towards the edge.
It's not bothering me but my husband insists that I should contact amazon. I know that this cracking has happened to a lot of people, but at this late a date I am wondering if it is worth pursuing...
cathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Amazon seems to have awesome customer support, give them a call there's nothing to lose.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:13 AM   #3
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
With Mr. Schwarzenegger above. Why not contact them? You can only profit from it and there's no risk to lose anything.

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-29-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:59 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Cracks at the screen corners are a known issue on the K3. It's purely cosmetic, but Amazon will exchange it for you if it bothers you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:03 AM   #5
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Nook Color
I had that problem a little more than a year after I got my Kindle and I was told it was not covered. However, I had another issue with my Kindle (fading letters on the keyboard), which was covered so I got a free replacement.
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #6
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
I found a hairline crack on my K3 after almost a year, and they are replacing it, no questions asked. Can't beat Amazon customer service.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
cathie
Connoisseur
cathie doesn't littercathie doesn't littercathie doesn't litter

Device: kindle, Kindle Fire
I have the same thing with the fading keyboard letters. Someone suggested that a 'skin' might help with this problem. But I am not so worried about that as much as the crack. I am worried that the thing might develop into some major issue, and I would be lost without my k3.
cathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathie View Post
I have the same thing with the fading keyboard letters. Someone suggested that a 'skin' might help with this problem. But I am not so worried about that as much as the crack. I am worried that the thing might develop into some major issue, and I would be lost without my k3.
Don't worry about it. It's a stress fracture due to the sharp corner of the bezel. It's purely cosmetic and it won't spread. It certainly won't do the electronics or the screen of the Kindle any damage at all. Amazon should certainly replace it for you, though, if you wish.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
I found a hairline crack on my K3 after almost a year, and they are replacing it, no questions asked. Can't beat Amazon customer service.
+1 I have a brand new K3 in my hands right now because of this crack issue. Although there were questions asked - specifically, did I drop it and did I put anything heavy on it. No and no. Boom! New K3. Amazon rocks.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria144 View Post
Don't worry, contact with Amazon CS and everything will be Ok.
No, contact Kindle CS, not Amazon CS. They're separate.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Had a crack like that on my K1, superglued it and the joint is stronger than the original.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #12
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Seems like only the graphite K3 cases have the problem. My wife's graphite case has had the crack for at least 8 months. It hasn't gotten any worse, and hasn't caused any issues or problems. My white case doesn't have the crack.

As stated above, if it bothers you, call Kindle CS and they'll replace your K3. But there's no urgency about it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #13
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool cracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Seems like only the graphite K3 cases have the problem. My wife's graphite case has had the crack for at least 8 months. It hasn't gotten any worse, and hasn't caused any issues or problems. My white case doesn't have the crack.

As stated above, if it bothers you, call Kindle CS and they'll replace your K3. But there's no urgency about it.
I don't think so, my friend (I know about this first hand as I made the call about it to Kindle CS for her) had a white one that had cracks at both lower corners and got it replaced for free and with no shipping charges.

Last edited by alansplace; 01-19-2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: typo
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #14
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I had the same problem and Amazon sent me a new kindle immediately. It's worth it for peace of mind.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #15
NightGoat
Connoisseur
NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle Oasis, DXG, and Kobo Aura One
I was having problems with my K3 and the lighted-case not working, I called CS and while troubleshooting I happened to mention the cracks, the CS person stopped right then with the troubleshooting... and I had a new K3 on my porch the very next day.
NightGoat is offline   Reply With Quote