Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
aaronvegh
aaronvegh began at the beginning.

Device: None
New Reader (To Me): Toast?

Hi there,
Just got my new PRS500 today via ebay. When i started it up, this is what I got:

In case you can't see this picture, it shows the menu screen, sort of half-rendered with strange horizontal lines all the way through, and this circular loading image in the middle. It's definitely frozen; the reset button isn't working! Is this a software issue that I can get around, or should this be going back to the seller?

Thanks,
Aaron.

P.S. First post!
aaronvegh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:44 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, aaronvegh!

If the problem is what I believe it is, we can help you easily enough. It's one of two things, a bad screen or (more likely) a really low battery.

You want it to be the battery, because you can fix that yourself as opposed to sending it in to Sony for a screen replacement.

What you do is plug it into the AC charger (can't do USB charging for this -- the 500 won't charge from USB if the battery is really flat), and leave it until the little red light above the power switch goes out (probably about 4 hours). Then see if the problem clears up.

Let us know if that takes care of it for you!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
aaronvegh
aaronvegh began at the beginning.

Device: None
I like how my first post is a hysterical plea for help, where none was required. As soon as I plugged it in, the darned thing started acting normally. :-) Phew!

Okay, onto my ebook reading adventures! Cheers!

Aaron.
aaronvegh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:17 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad to hear it, aaronvegh! You should probably make sure it has a full charge, regardless, just to make sure you don't have the problem again.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:35 PM   #5
monkeywrench
Connoisseur
monkeywrench began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Kindle Keyboard
This brings up an interesting question and might be better for one of the PRS-505 threads but I wonder if this will be an issue since the new unit won't come with the AC Adapter and only with the USB cable?
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2007, 09:49 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
This brings up an interesting question and might be better for one of the PRS-505 threads but I wonder if this will be an issue since the new unit won't come with the AC Adapter and only with the USB cable?
It's addressed in the Conference Call write up, but there's a lot of info in that thing. The short answer is that the 505 will charge via USB even if the battery's totally flat.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:49 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronvegh View Post
I like how my first post is a hysterical plea for help, where none was required. As soon as I plugged it in, the darned thing started acting normally. :-) Phew!

Okay, onto my ebook reading adventures! Cheers!

Aaron.
Great news, Aaron. Leave it plugged into the wall charger until the little red light above the power switched goes out. That shows that it's fully charged.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote