Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-24-2015, 06:16 AM   #1
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum
chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.

Device: Tolino Vision 3HD
No metadata.opf file. Why?

Hallo.

Sorting my library I found an author whose books are all without the usual metadata.opf files. What does that mean?

I can read the books, also edit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	metadata.opf.png
Views:	390
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	139580
Example with metadata.opf (other authors).

Last edited by chaot; 06-24-2015 at 12:41 PM. Reason: [I]metadata.opf[/I] files
chaot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:38 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaot View Post
Hallo.

Sorting my library I found an author whose books are all without the usual metadata.opf file. What does that mean?

I can read the books, also edit.

Attachment 139580
Example with metadata.opf (other authors).
That is the metadata backup file that can be used if the DB needs repair.

Something/someone has seriously messed with your Calibre Library

But it is easy to repair this particular (just takes some time to run).

Right click the Library Icon: Library Maintenance: Check metadata backup status: Click the Queue button (and go do something else for a bit. Rate is about 1 title per 3 seconds)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2015, 12:39 PM   #3
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum
chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.

If I'm not terribly mistaken and confuse now the respective author XY and even at the risk that I will now declared insane: Without any intervention, the metadata.opf files have now gathered.

Quote:
... and go do something else for a bit. Rate is about 1 title per 3 seconds
Your proposal would so hardly have been practicable - I could have slept a whole night (the next morning my PC would have dissolved into small parts, maybe).

No, I would have copied author XY to a /home/ali/XY file, then delete him from calibre. With tool Run wellcome wizard load XY back from the separate file, edit (Queue all books for backup) (20 books → 60 seconds). After add that author back to calibre.

If I find again such ones without metadata.opf files I will report here.

Last edited by chaot; 06-24-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:01 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If I'm not terribly mistaken and confuse now the respective author XY and even at the risk that I will now declared insane: Without any intervention, the metadata.opf files have now gathered.

Your proposal would so hardly have been practicable - I could have slept a whole night (the next morning my PC would have dissolved into small parts, maybe).

No, I would have copied author XY to a /home/ali/XY file, then delete him from calibre. With tool Run wellcome wizard load XY back from the separate file, edit (Queue all books for backup) (20 books → 60 seconds). After add that author back to calibre.

If I find again such ones without metadata.opf files I will report here.

You did not say that you recently added those problem titles

The same place as that button, SHOWS the pending update counts

Get a new PC if that light of a task will dissolve it

The process is deliberately slowed to run, no strain, in background (you can even close that dialog box) and do other stuff with Calibre
Old 06-24-2015, 02:52 PM   #5
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You did not say that you recently added those problem titles
Right, because I didn't recently added anything. I don't understand for why you questioning that!?

Quote:
The same place as that button, SHOWS the pending update counts
Right, wait a moment. I checked that already, now I show you pictures. After you wrote your first post I started straight away.

Name:	Book metadata files remaining to be written_0.png
Views:	225
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	139607
After click Queue all books for backup calibre counts the books in total (here about 10000), show that figure and started.

Name:	Book metadata files remaining to be written_6852.png
Views:	261
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	139608
Now we are on 6852 remainings. Today, there is not enough time for the full run. I hope calibre remembers where it left off. That would be comfortable, I would say.

Quote:
Get a new PC if that light of a task will dissolve it
This is already planned. One with SSD, after the summer holidays, theoretically day for day they are getting cheaper. Just I have to make a library Total check (I don't trust my PC any longer, even if off) and backup all that stuff. Then I am away!

Quote:
The process is deliberately slowed to run, no strain, in background (you can even close that dialog box) and do other stuff with Calibre
Right!

Oh, if you knew. I live without electricity, water from the source. If I want to work, I have always to consult civilization. Therefore here (in the forum) sometimes arise these delays. But I feel very comfortable that way.

Last edited by chaot; 11-13-2015 at 11:09 AM. Reason: optic
Advert
Old 06-24-2015, 06:44 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Right, because I didn't recently added anything. I don't understand for why you questioning that!?
Every time Calibre makes a change to the metadata (dirty), it queues those records (only). [if you bulk change 12 books and look in that box, you should see it counting down from 12 ]

Quote:
Oh, if you knew. I live without electricity, water from the source. If I want to work, I have always to consult civilization. Therefore here (in the forum) sometimes arise these delays. But I feel very comfortable that way.
Car Battery (and or PV panel) with a Car cord for your laptop (More efficient than 12V to 120V to Laptop brick, unless you need 120V for accessories ) Been there, ran a portable POS system in a tent for 3, 12hour days on a size 8D (150lbs) truck battery
Old 06-30-2015, 05:48 AM   #7
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum

Besides objection. Two different 60 minutes sequences each gave pretty much a value of 2.5 seconds processing time per book.

As you said, it runs completely silently and in the background. And calibre remembers the previous day's level and carries on in editing. (Otherwise, at least I would have been hard to come to an end.)

EDIT Next I will deal with that repair tool Embed metadata Library metadata backup status a little closer, but currently elsewhere new problems have emerged, so I have to move it a little to future.

I missed a final message whether or what was repaired/done.

Referring to tips for life away from civilization: MobileRead, the forum for all occasions. Thank you very special.

Last edited by chaot; 07-03-2015 at 06:26 AM. Reason: EDIT