Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-04-2010, 05:15 AM   #1
DrDk
DrDk began at the beginning.

Device: A81
Screen Contrast

Hello,

I am looking to buy an e- book reader.
I have seen an Irivers story,
I am worried that I will not be able to put up with the low contrast of E ink.
Is the Jetbook a better option?
I mainly read in bed and need to read a larger than normal font size. I am running out of large print options at my local library.
I am thinking that the 5 " Jetbook in landscape mode may give a "brihter" contrast than e-ink.
Any thoughts?

Thanks DrDK
DrDk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Low Contrast?
OK, compared to Laser toner black on Brite White (90+ grade), e-Ink probably won't pass.
But, neither would my dead tree paperbacks

I equate the e-Ink display with a 10 year old paperback page color.
Cheap paper turns yellow-ish. That is about the contrast you get.
I love reading on a screen without a back light. My eyes do not tire like they do when staring at my monitor.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
E-INK gives a great contrast and save your eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDk View Post
Hello,

I am looking to buy an e- book reader.
I have seen an Irivers story,
I am worried that I will not be able to put up with the low contrast of E ink.
Is the Jetbook a better option?
I mainly read in bed and need to read a larger than normal font size. I am running out of large print options at my local library.
I am thinking that the 5 " Jetbook in landscape mode may give a "brihter" contrast than e-ink.
Any thoughts?

Thanks DrDK
Dear Dr.DK:

There are SO many benefits to E-Ink:

1, 8,000 pages to a single charge (roughly 2 novels). If you read 2 hours every day it should last you a week at least.
2. No eye strain. Ever sat at a computer? It tires your eyes and they start to water after a while. You do not get this with E-Ink. Your eyes remain refreshed and feeling fine after long reading,.
3. Contrast is a subjective thing. To me, the 5 inch Pocket PRO has excellent contrast and you can chage the font styles as well. Also, when reading PDF or EPUB, you have NINE font sizes at your beck and call.

Plus, buying an eBook Reader Light is very inexpensive and easy. We are planning at Astak to run our "free reader light with every Pocket PRO purchased" again soon.

PLEASE, do not make the mistake of thinking a back-lit screen is good.

Last edited by Robertb; 03-04-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Dr.DK:

There are SO many benefits to E-Ink:

1, 8,000 pages to a single charge (roughly 2 novels). If you read 2 hours every day it should last you a week at least.
Given a average paperback is about 600 pages long, a full charge could last you anywhere from about 4 novels to around 13 novels worth of reading. 4 novels if you are going to read at the x-large or xx-large text size. Most of us use medium text size, so, a full charge should last about 8 average novels or roughly 2 4-book series.

(Right now, I'm on my 6th novel with 50% battery life left.)

As for Rob, I don't know what novels you read, but 2,000 pages per novel... (4,000 page turns, with each page being two page turns).

Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 03-04-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:17 AM   #5
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Honestly, I find the PP very readable in rooms with good light or sunlight. In dimmer light the slightly lighter text is an issue.
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2010, 08:26 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
In dim light, one option is to increase the font size. If there is enough light to easily read a paperback there is probably enough for EInk.

The jetBook uses a reflective LCD technology, so it also needs external light to work. Some people say it is more readable than EInk, but I'm not sure the difference is huge. It has lower resolution and shorter battery life, but it is a viable option (fast page turns help with zooming PDFs for example). Note that the jetBook supports eReader DRM (encryption), rather than Adobe ePub/PDF.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Robert is conservative now on most things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
Given a average paperback is about 600 pages long, a full charge could last you anywhere from about 4 novels to around 13 novels worth of reading. 4 novels if you are going to read at the x-large or xx-large text size. Most of us use medium text size, so, a full charge should last about 8 average novels or roughly 2 4-book series.

(Right now, I'm on my 6th novel with 50% battery life left.)

As for Rob, I don't know what novels you read, but 2,000 pages per novel... (4,000 page turns, with each page being two page turns).
Dear Acreo:

Yes, I know you can get more than two average novels on a single charge. The problem is that every time I try to break it down in simple terms (such as novels per charge) someone in a booming post yells and screams. Also, people occasionally tend to pin my butt to the wall for the least things... so I am always on the conservative side. Being the "spokesperson" for a company is never easy and many people seem to hang on one word. Recently I was kidding about Griffey and his famous chocolate sauce and if he was there "he would barf chocolate sauce on a thread". It was meant as a joke but taken as an insult (not by Griffey). I drove away a good poster on that frivolous and meant-well statement.

So, I TRY now to not go overboard with any statements... even meant in jest!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
kdf9511
Madman With A Box
kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Nook Glowlight, Nook Color, Kindle 4, Astak Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post

That is one thing I have been trying to play with while setting up my reading library to migrate to the PP. I want to find a font and size that will allow me to read at the original size but have the text be at about the medium zoom level. That would at least make the page numbers correct.
kdf9511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:50 AM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
2. No eye strain. Ever sat at a computer? It tires your eyes and they start to water after a while. You do not get this with E-Ink. Your eyes remain refreshed and feeling fine after long reading,.

PLEASE, do not make the mistake of thinking a back-lit screen is good.
Just to keep it real here... while the Jetbook does have an LCD screen it is NOT back lit. The contrast on the Jetbook screen is similar to eink. I actually think the jetbook screen is a bit sharper... and the page turns are lighting fast. Of course, you pay the price in battery usage... the Jetbook will run about 18 hours on a single charge... so you will probably be charging it every day or two depending on your usage.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:45 AM   #10
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Just to keep it real here... while the Jetbook does have an LCD screen it is NOT back lit. The contrast on the Jetbook screen is similar to eink. I actually think the jetbook screen is a bit sharper... and the page turns are lighting fast. Of course, you pay the price in battery usage... the Jetbook will run about 18 hours on a single charge... so you will probably be charging it every day or two depending on your usage.

BOb
Who read 9-18 hours nonstop everyday? I read 3-4 hours per day and charge my jetBook one time per week.

P.S. Yes, jetBook screen is much sharper and page turns much faster
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:47 AM   #11
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
In dim light, one option is to increase the font size. If there is enough light to easily read a paperback there is probably enough for EInk.

The jetBook uses a reflective LCD technology, so it also needs external light to work. Some people say it is more readable than EInk, but I'm not sure the difference is huge. It has lower resolution and shorter battery life, but it is a viable option (fast page turns help with zooming PDFs for example). Note that the jetBook supports eReader DRM (encryption), rather than Adobe ePub/PDF.
jetBook-Lite has support for eReader DRM. jetBook don't have it yet.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:29 AM   #12
kdf9511
Madman With A Box
kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Nook Glowlight, Nook Color, Kindle 4, Astak Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Who read 9-18 hours nonstop everyday?
I can easily. When I get into a good book I loose all track of time. The first week I had my PP I was reading 8-10 hrs a night. I finally had to start setting a timer to cut me off at about 4 hrs.
kdf9511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Who read 9-18 hours nonstop everyday? I read 3-4 hours per day and charge my jetBook one time per week.
I do, part of what you can do being semi-retired.

At least 1 or 2 days every week reach those numbers, not quite non-stop.
There is cats to pet and food to take care of

My PEz makes it well over a week on a chargw.

I don't know exact page turns, because I sometimes jump books during the day.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote