Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-28-2009, 08:02 AM   #61
batpuppy
Connoisseur
batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 , Samsung TabA 8.0, Kindle fire 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldkit View Post
UPDATE: I called the Laredo facility again today, and they put me on hold several times while they tried to figure out the status of my PRS-500. Eventually, they took my phone number and said they'd call me back when they figured out what had happened to it. That was six hours ago, and I've heard nothing. They had the UPS tracking number and knew it had been delivered, but they didn't seem to have any idea what had happened to it after that.

Think they'll send me a new one if it's lost for good?
Yeah mine was received at the docks in Laredo on 11/19/09 but so far its not in the repair system. I have emailed the repair center but so far got no information back from them on the status. I really hope its not lost or something.
batpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:10 AM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpuppy View Post
Yeah mine was received at the docks in Laredo on 11/19/09 but so far its not in the repair system. I have emailed the repair center but so far got no information back from them on the status. I really hope its not lost or something.
A few days after my 505 was received by Sony, I did check the repair system and it showed the 500 was not received. So I called and the person on the phone was able to tell me that yes it has been received and it was going to be worked on that day. The repair system never did show the 500 as being repaired. The 500 has been returned and the repair system still shows it's not been received.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #63
wyldkit
Connoisseur
wyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500 (until I have enough Sony Rewards points for the PRS-300)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A few days after my 505 was received by Sony, I did check the repair system and it showed the 500 was not received. So I called and the person on the phone was able to tell me that yes it has been received and it was going to be worked on that day. The repair system never did show the 500 as being repaired. The 500 has been returned and the repair system still shows it's not been received.
Did you get an email from UPS when they sent it back? I keep checking for that too, but nothing so far. It's only been a little over a week, so it's well within their two weeks. I just wish I had some way of knowing what was going on and when to expect it back. Why have an online status system if you're not going to update it?

EDIT: Just got my email from UPS, so I guess Sony did receive it and is now mailing it back!

Last edited by wyldkit; 11-28-2009 at 05:47 PM. Reason: new info
wyldkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #64
Akumag2
Enthusiast
Akumag2 began at the beginning.

I actually had the same experience with the repair site.
Next day it had been received, then after a few days it was no-longer in the system with either the repair number or my phone number.

I called and they said it was received but had not been worked on give it another 7 days, but then later that day I got the UPS email that it would be at my door next day, and it was.

Whole thing was less than one week.

as an addendum to the joystick page turn, I had only just installed my custom firmware for stick, clock and icons about a month ago, and its amazing how much I use the stick to turn pages and rely on the clock to go to bed or get back from lunch to work, I hope that there will be an updated firmware soon.

As for calibre, I only use it to create lrf files which i then load into the sony library software, so loss of functionality in calibre is no biggie for me.
Akumag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:36 PM   #65
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Given how many mentions of the loss of joystick page turn there are, I'm absolutely shocked Sony has messed with this so much in each model. One handed reading/page turning is great, and one of the features you can only have on a E-Reader (vs. a real book). I've become totally spoiled by its convenience.

The PRS-500 had great page turn layout, though it was left-hand-holding emphasized. The joystick hack fixed that... but it's... a hack! The PRS-505 obviously tried to balance things... then everything went to pot!

The PRS-300 has one place to turn pages, dead center. Yeah it's balanced, but it's not easily accessible from EITHER right or left hand... unless you have a freakishly long thumb (apologies to those with freakishly long thumbs!)! In a word, horrible!

The PRS-600 is better, but left-handed focused again. Swipes requires 2 hands. But I am certainly most disappointed by the lack of thought going into the PRS-300. From a company that is so good at design, it's really surprising they abandoned function for form.

Rant over (sorry!).

Though all the more reason to be really thankful and appreciative that Sony implemented this upgrade program!!

-Pie

Last edited by EatingPie; 11-28-2009 at 02:40 PM.
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2009, 03:51 PM   #66
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
......The PRS-300 has one place to turn pages, dead center. Yeah it's balanced, but it's not easily accessible from EITHER right or left hand... unless you have a freakishly long thumb (apologies to those with freakishly long thumbs!)! In a word, horrible....

-Pie
Ok, I have to disagree with this comment. Have you actually held one? I mean, if you hold it in both hands or even in one hand, it's very easy access. I mean, I don't have really long thumbs or anything, but my thumb goes across the middle page turner easy...

Having said that though, I would have preferred page turns on the side as well....
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:29 PM   #67
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
Ok, I have to disagree with this comment. Have you actually held one? I mean, if you hold it in both hands or even in one hand, it's very easy access. I mean, I don't have really long thumbs or anything, but my thumb goes across the middle page turner easy...
Yep, I sure did. Both at Target and at BB. Had my PRS-500 in hand for comparison.

It felt a strain to reach the button, as opposed to the very well placed PRS-500 buttons, which are very comfortable to access. (This was holding one-handed.)

-Pie
Old 11-30-2009, 11:05 PM   #68
batpuppy
Connoisseur
batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 , Samsung TabA 8.0, Kindle fire 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldkit View Post
Did you get an email from UPS when they sent it back? I keep checking for that too, but nothing so far. It's only been a little over a week, so it's well within their two weeks. I just wish I had some way of knowing what was going on and when to expect it back. Why have an online status system if you're not going to update it?

EDIT: Just got my email from UPS, so I guess Sony did receive it and is now mailing it back!
What contact I have had with sony support keeps telling me it be done and back to me in 14 days. They have better get going as two weeks is up Thursday and so far no email or anything.
batpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:43 PM   #69
JoblessPirate
JoblessPirate began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Woot Red 505 in my hand

Got my red 505 yesterday. This company is awesome. Now off to sell it lol
JoblessPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:21 PM   #70
DonaldL.
Connoisseur
DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500/300/650, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
Yep, I sure did. Both at Target and at BB. Had my PRS-500 in hand for comparison.

It felt a strain to reach the button, as opposed to the very well placed PRS-500 buttons, which are very comfortable to access. (This was holding one-handed.)
You must have very short thumbs. The button to turn the page is 1 7/8ths to the edge of the book.
DonaldL. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:19 PM   #71
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldL. View Post
You must have very short thumbs. The button to turn the page is 1 7/8ths to the edge of the book.
It's not just distance, it's position. Sheesh.

The 500 has buttons almost exactly where the tip of my thumb is naturally resting. Almost half-way up the device. On the 300, you have to lower your thumb almost horizontally, which is totally unnatural and uncomfortable when holding with one hand.

Maybe I should have said "freakishly long and flexible thumbs."

-Pie
Old 12-04-2009, 11:16 PM   #72
Xtremegene
Connoisseur
Xtremegene began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 --- Nokia n800
Really happy with the 'new' functionality on the PRS-500. Only took a year or two, but it got here!
Xtremegene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #73
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Could someone please backup their updated firmware and send it to me? I would like to check two things:

1) Hack PRS-500's ADE to support default custom EPUB fonts (much like I did it with PRS-505).

2) Try what happens if I put this newer ADE on my PRS-505.

Thanks.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote