Notices

Old 11-26-2009, 02:10 AM   #46
TheMooch
Member Retired
TheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 Sony eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMooch View Post
Mine was received on the dock in Texas on the 18th. I haven't heard anything on it since. Looking at the work order on the Sony site it shows as Serial Number "Pending", but no other info. Hopefully I'll see it back soon.
LOL! A few short hours after posting this I got an email from UPS indicating that my reader would arrive on Friday. NICE! Thanks Sony!
TheMooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:36 AM   #47
kwailau
kwailau began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoblessPirate View Post
I sent in a busted 500 (lower part of the screen was cracked) hoping to either get an estimate on the screen repair or at the very list the 75 bucks off a 600. Turns out there's a 3rd option... They are sending me a PRS 505 free. It's in the mail now. If you have a busted one SEND IT IN!
Wow, that's incredible! Congratulations!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ima...1/thumbsup.gif
kwailau is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2009, 12:34 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I am rather impressed by Sony. I sent in the 500 on Friday November 20th and got the email saying it's due back On November 27th. It would have been back today if not for Thanksgiving. Not sure however if anyone will be home to collect it when UPS delivers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #49
Akumag2
Enthusiast
Akumag2 began at the beginning.

Had i known sooner I may well have busted mine to get the upgrade to a 505 (so long as its the red one), then again I much prefer the layout of the 500, its superior to the 505, I just like to the 505's screen better.
Akumag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:53 PM   #50
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
One more question for those who have their rejuvinated PRS-500
Does it recognise collections on memory stick now? The PRS-500 had this annoying habit of only recognising collections created in internal storage only..
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2009, 05:23 AM   #51
Akumag2
Enthusiast

dont know about collections, dont have a memory stick to try.

I would like to know if the clock, icons & toggle stick hacks are going to work again?
Old 11-27-2009, 10:40 AM   #52
taildragger-j3
Writer AND Reader
taildragger-j3 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
According to what I've heard the clock / toggle hacks are no longer functional. We'll need to get some of the "nerds" working on the new system so we can get them back.
taildragger-j3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:53 PM   #53
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
Like me, I'll bet a lot of you who sent in PRS-500s in to Sony last week are getting them back today. The UPS guy just delivered mine about an hour ago.

To those who are planning to sent their units in for update, I'd strongly advise you to back up all your content to your computer. I'm glad I did: all of my books, pictures, and mp3s were gone from my Reader, so I'm starting out fresh. I've be playing around with the e-pub capability and so far, so good. With the latest Sony e-book library software and the latest version of Adobe Digital Editions, I was able to successfully checkout and transfer an e-pub book from the Boston Public Library's collection. The paging and justification does have the little quirks others have mentioned, but it doesn't bother me.

The new firmware has given me time and date functions I didn't have before, and a couple of other things I don't recall being in the old Settings menu. I haven't tried using the new and improved PRS-500 with Calibre on my other computer yet. I'll check that out later.
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have received the 500 back just about 20 minutes ago. It seems to be the same functionality as the 505. You can even now properly delete books without resorting to a poorly functioning hack.

And the fonts for ePub being on the Reader work the same as they do for the 300, 505, 600, & 700. That's good news.

I plugged the 500 into the USB port on my XP system and it comes up as a removable device. So the 500 will work on 64-bit Windows without the need for a USB driver.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #55
Akumag2
Enthusiast

@ kilohertz53

I was all excited when you mentioned date and time, went to my setting to find them and there they were under option 2, got it all set up correctly (was sec for central time, guess thats the time for the repair place) but alas it is pointless as it doesnt show up when you are reading

On a plus side I have found a good thing, when the battery was low before you get the ! then it used to turn off that was it, but now I get the ! symbol I press the ok key and it allows me to continue reading, it didnt do that before, and just to test it I kept page turning when it has no bars of battery and I got 50 pages out of it, seems we just got a bit more battery life
Old 11-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #56
GeneS
eBook Enthusiast
GeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-350, Astak PocketPro, iPhone, Asus eee Pad Transformer
Received my 500 back 8 days after sending it in ... would have been 7 but for the holiday. Everything seems to work as before. Library is now contained in 10 separate folders (they've divided the alphabet) instead of all in 1. It's a nice touch, but would have been much better if full support for folders could have been done.

I have one fairly significant negative ... Calibre no longer recognizes my reader. Has anyone else had the same experience? I didn't notice any comments one way or the other in this thread.
GeneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:29 PM   #57
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad to see plenty of people are getting their PRS-500's back!
I never installed any of those hacks. Seemed all too experimental to me.
Good to hear 64 bit will work
Deleting books option? Juicy

The calibre thing disturbed me. Sounds like Kovid will need to add functionality for post-firmware 500's in calibre, especially given how different the firmware apparently is. - Especially so that we can have EPUB generation by default.

Time support, eh? I can only hope I can select GMT+10 and GMT+11 (AEST and AEDT respectively)..

Did anyone try setting up collections on their memory sticks? Sounds like a better way to avoid needing to hunt around for specific groups of books in those new folders given the size of my ebook collection..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneS View Post
Received my 500 back 8 days after sending it in ... would have been 7 but for the holiday. Everything seems to work as before. Library is now contained in 10 separate folders (they've divided the alphabet) instead of all in 1. It's a nice touch, but would have been much better if full support for folders could have been done.

I have one fairly significant negative ... Calibre no longer recognizes my reader. Has anyone else had the same experience? I didn't notice any comments one way or the other in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumag2 View Post
@ kilohertz53

I was all excited when you mentioned date and time, went to my setting to find them and there they were under option 2, got it all set up correctly (was sec for central time, guess thats the time for the repair place) but alas it is pointless as it doesnt show up when you are reading

On a plus side I have found a good thing, when the battery was low before you get the ! then it used to turn off that was it, but now I get the ! symbol I press the ok key and it allows me to continue reading, it didnt do that before, and just to test it I kept page turning when it has no bars of battery and I got 50 pages out of it, seems we just got a bit more battery life
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have received the 500 back just about 20 minutes ago. It seems to be the same functionality as the 505. You can even now properly delete books without resorting to a poorly functioning hack.

And the fonts for ePub being on the Reader work the same as they do for the 300, 505, 600, & 700. That's good news.

I plugged the 500 into the USB port on my XP system and it comes up as a removable device. So the 500 will work on 64-bit Windows without the need for a USB driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragger-j3 View Post
According to what I've heard the clock / toggle hacks are no longer functional. We'll need to get some of the "nerds" working on the new system so we can get them back.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:49 PM   #58
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneS View Post
Same here, it seems to be a common problem. But I have no doubt that it will be addressed in the next version of Calibre.
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:07 PM   #59
taildragger-j3
Writer AND Reader
taildragger-j3 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Mine's here too. ALL my books were still here although the bookmarks, etc. were no longer there. No biggie. I do miss the joystick page turn, but I'm hoping someone will get it back for me before too much longer.

Same story about linking to eBook Library & Adobe Digital Edition - slick as butter on on ice!

I'm SO GLAD to have it back.
taildragger-j3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:49 AM   #60
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragger-j3 View Post
Mine's here too. ALL my books were still here although the bookmarks, etc. were no longer there. No biggie. I do miss the joystick page turn, but I'm hoping someone will get it back for me before too much longer.

Same story about linking to eBook Library & Adobe Digital Edition - slick as butter on on ice!

I'm SO GLAD to have it back.
Glad to hear it
How often have you been applying butter to ice?