Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #31
Lime2K
Lime2K began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader (PRS-500)
Ok, after getting my 500 back and charging it (I know I charged it before I sent it, but whatever...) I will concur with rwsimon's assessment: The OSX ebook library does not recognise it ("Error") but it shows up as a removable drive even under OSX 10.6.2. Calibre (the latest version as of today) does not support it either, and just copying the books onto the drive (into /database/media/books/) also does not work (They copy, but are not recognised.). I'm assuming that they changed the product IDs with the new upgrade. Here's what Apple System Profiler had to say about it:
Quote:
Sony Portable Reader System:

Capacity: 96.3 MB (96,337,920 bytes)
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: Yes
BSD Name: disk2
Product ID: 0x031e
Vendor ID: 0x054c (Sony Corporation)
Version: 2.2a
Serial Number: 0800461000355D25
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Sony
Location ID: 0x1d100000
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 500
Partition Map Type: Unknown
S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported
I haven't tries it under XP yet (gotta dig up the backup discs I need first).
More updates as I figure stuff out!
Lime2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #32
taildragger-j3
Writer AND Reader
taildragger-j3 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Another good reason to use a PC instead of a Mac LOL. Just kidding, just kidding

Haven't heard from Sony/UPS about mine yet. Still keeping my fingers crossed.
taildragger-j3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #33
lextrex
lextrex began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Got mine back this morning. I'll add a few notes, sorry if I duplicated anything from earlier posts:

-I got the exact unit back. I noticed the same scratches, beauty marks etc. that were on the unit when I shipped it. All books were still there.

-Adobe Digital Editions now sees the device on Windows provided that you have upgraded to the latest version of that AND eBook library. You can move PDF files to the device now using Adobe Digital Editions, although I haven't figured out the benefit of this app yet.

-I have not tested sony's software on Mac nor calibre, but the device now mounts both the SD and internal memory on Mac and Win as removable storage. Now you can copy files to and from without software, if you want to do it this way.

-The device charges on a Mac with no Sony/Calibre software installed now. (I don't remember this being the case before) I think they made it charge the same way as the PRS 505

-In a book, the 0-9 keys now bring up a direct page entry, activated by the enter joystick.

-PDF reflow works on a few tested PDFs. It's a big improvement in this department!

- I had a clock hack and icon hack on the unit when I sent it off. These are both gone with the update.

I'll post any new findings, if I see anything stand out.
lextrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:39 PM   #34
Ualdayan
Ualdayan began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addepalli1 View Post
I sent my PRS the very next day. Do they send some kind of info stating when it is shipped and all...
UPS sends you an email letting you know. They send it NEXT DAY AIR too, but unfortunately in my case at least instead of the normal "Pickup scan" it said "Package has been received into UPS SCS possession" then it says "EXCEPTION: Package was tendered to UPS too late for requested service. Delay is likely." and sure enough it didn't come today.
Ualdayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:43 AM   #35
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
What is the version number of the new firmware?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 06:33 AM   #36
lextrex
lextrex began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
What is the version number of the new firmware?
Version 2.0.00.09180
lextrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:19 AM   #37
taildragger-j3
Writer AND Reader
taildragger-j3 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Had an email from UPS that "Shipping Information Has Been Received" Hope that means it will be back soon. I guess with Thanksgiving, I may not see it until Friday. Oh well . . .
taildragger-j3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:26 AM   #38
Akumag2
Enthusiast
Akumag2 began at the beginning.

I received my 500 back today after 6 days, I actually called Sony yesterday as their website suddenly lost all information on my repair with both repair number and phone number, and I was suprised to get an email at 3am today saying it was on its way and by 10am it was here.

So all books are still on the device

Same device back (with all my scratches & dents from the one drop it had getting off the bus)

Firmware is now 2.0.00.09180

Customer firmware clock & icons are now missing.

I notices it is really slow in changing font sizes about 40-105 seconds for the first time on each book but then its normal speed.

I dont have any ePub books to try, I am assuming all the books on there that were lrf & pdf are still the same format.

Ok speaking of ePUB format as the store will only be dealing with that from now on will all the current books I own be converted or stay the same does anyone know?
Akumag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:57 AM   #39
Ualdayan
Ualdayan began at the beginning.

For some reason as soon as I connect my Reader now the ebook Library program stops responding. I left it alone for 30 minutes to see if it was just working on something, and it never unfroze. It happens each time I connect the Reader. Any ideas?
Ualdayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:12 PM   #40
JoblessPirate
JoblessPirate began at the beginning.

Sent in a busted 500 -> Got a 505 Replacement

I sent in a busted 500 (lower part of the screen was cracked) hoping to either get an estimate on the screen repair or at the very list the 75 bucks off a 600. Turns out there's a 3rd option... They are sending me a PRS 505 free. It's in the mail now. If you have a busted one SEND IT IN!
JoblessPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:40 PM   #41
TheMooch
Member Retired
TheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 Sony eReader
Mine was received on the dock in Texas on the 18th. I haven't heard anything on it since. Looking at the work order on the Sony site it shows as Serial Number "Pending", but no other info. Hopefully I'll see it back soon.
TheMooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:47 PM   #42
wyldkit
Connoisseur
wyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500 (until I have enough Sony Rewards points for the PRS-300)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMooch View Post
Mine was received on the dock in Texas on the 18th. I haven't heard anything on it since. Looking at the work order on the Sony site it shows as Serial Number "Pending", but no other info. Hopefully I'll see it back soon.
Same here, except mine was received on the dock on the 20th. I called there on Monday (the 23rd), and they said they had it and would be working on it that day.
wyldkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:05 PM   #43
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
It's too bad about Mac OS X Software still not seeing the device, but good news that LRF remains on board.

ePUB isn't the greatest format. The notion of a fixed 1024 word "page" is not user friendly. It should work like LRF in that it displays the page number based on your font size and screen size. ePUB also does not show a header at the top of the screen, so if you are in a book when you turn your reader on, you have no indication what book it is.

I still may send my Reader in, though I will be using LRF for as long as I can manage. I am hoping that Mac support will be forthcoming on updated Readers.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:56 PM   #44
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Is there also an update for the PRS-505?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #45
wyldkit
Connoisseur
wyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500 (until I have enough Sony Rewards points for the PRS-300)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldkit View Post
Same here, except mine was received on the dock on the 20th. I called there on Monday (the 23rd), and they said they had it and would be working on it that day.
UPDATE: I called the Laredo facility again today, and they put me on hold several times while they tried to figure out the status of my PRS-500. Eventually, they took my phone number and said they'd call me back when they figured out what had happened to it. That was six hours ago, and I've heard nothing. They had the UPS tracking number and knew it had been delivered, but they didn't seem to have any idea what had happened to it after that.

Think they'll send me a new one if it's lost for good?
wyldkit is offline   Reply With Quote