Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHolyGrail View Post
What functions are you referring to? These are things which were removed?
What is being referred to are hacks made to the 500 that have been removed when the new firmware was put in place.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:12 PM   #17
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

Thanks to confirm the justification doubt... concerning that part it's still the same thing we also have with our other Sony readers.

Have lots of fun with your rejuvenated prs500, you deserve it.

Best regards,

Last edited by DDHarriman; 11-23-2009 at 07:22 PM.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2009, 05:25 PM   #18
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
This is the same manner in which all ADE devices (including the 505) generate page numbers. The reporting, however, (e.g., "Page 8-9 of nnn") was altered in the last 505 update so that it would only report one page number (e.g., "Page 8 of nnn").
Which 505 update is that? Mine still shows 'Page 8-9 of nnn'
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:28 PM   #19
taildragger-j3
Writer AND Reader
taildragger-j3 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
I've taken off all the books as some I will be putting back on won't be LRF any longer but ePub.
There's so much I don't know / understand about all this. Why would you not want LRF books on your reader? I thought we could mix LRF & ePub books now.
taildragger-j3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:33 PM   #20
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Interesting. I didn't think about it until just now, but I bet the PRSCustomizer removed the split page numbers. I apologize for the noise.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #21
rwsimon
Connoisseur
rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 2 Sony PRS-500s, iPad
To respond to taildragger: there is no problem mixing LRF and ePub titles on the updated Reader. I have no idea whether everybody will get all their books back with the upgrade; this was my experience, but that doesn't prove much.

Also, is having the books by author and books by title subdivided into groups of a few alphabet letters and books by date subdivided into various time periods (today, this week, this month, etc.) a feature of the newer readers that has been added to the 500? Just curious.

In any case, I've packed up my second reader to send off to Sony. Now that I know that no harm is done, off it goes.
rwsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:49 PM   #22
taildragger-j3
Writer AND Reader
taildragger-j3 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Thanks for the update. I've got all mine stored here on my desktop (and my laptop, I think) so it won't be a BIG deal if they get "lost."

I'm pleased that we'll now have access to ePub books on our 500's but the others LRF work so well on mine, I can't see a reason to re-download or convert those.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
taildragger-j3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:29 PM   #23
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsimon View Post
Also, is having the books by author and books by title subdivided into groups of a few alphabet letters and books by date subdivided into various time periods (today, this week, this month, etc.) a feature of the newer readers that has been added to the 500?
Yes, those features are available on the 505, as well.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:23 PM   #24
mikemc2
Zealot
mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505,Kindle 3,Nook HD+,iPod Touch,Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
My 505 also shows hyphenated page numbers. I've checked for firmware updates recently and I was up-to-date.
mikemc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:27 PM   #25
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Congratulations Glad to hear you got yours back safe and sound.. and with no content missing!
Does it mount as a volume under Windows - i.e. drive F: or whatever?
Do you have 64 bit Windows?
Did you try connecting your Reader to the USB hub on your Mac keyboard? If so, try connecting it directly to your Mac via the back, and let us know how that goes. - This is something I observed when trying to use Calibre for OS X with my PRS-500 and I believe it would prove to be an issue with the official software too. (This is with a model A1048 keyboard with twin inbuilt USB hub - white keyboard with clear plastic backing; I don't think it delivers enough current to use a PRS-500..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsimon View Post
I received my upgraded PRS-500 from Sony this morning. Here's the first few observations:

1) None of the content was missing. All my books were still there.

2) So, apparently, LRF and LRX are still supported.

3) The menus on the reader (books by author, date...) now have alphabetical submenus (A-C, etc.)

4) I don't see any particular difference in speed or behavior except that when I call up a book or change font size, at least for the first time, there is a "formatting" process that takes place for several seconds.

5) There is still no support for the Mac. I tried installing the Library software for Mac, but the Reader is not recognized by the software. (I run the PC software in Parallels under Windows XP.)

I just installed Library 3.01 for the first time, so I haven't really tried out anything new other than putting an ePub file onto the Reader, which worked fine.

So, the very preliminary news that that nothing bad happens to the Reader with the upgrade. I'll report on anything more I discover if there is anything else to report.

Last edited by AprilHare; 11-23-2009 at 11:39 PM. Reason: too large an image
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:18 AM   #26
Lime2K
Lime2K began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader (PRS-500)
Mine, according to UPS, should be back tomorrow. I'll see what's up with it when I get it back, as I've got the OSX version of <<insert name of whatever Sony is calling their bookstore this week>> installed for my 505, along with calibre.

I'll put them through their paces! Hopefully the new firmware makes PDFs run much faster (and yes, I'm talking about ones sized for the reader, not 8x11 sized ones)
Lime2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:28 AM   #27
rwsimon
Connoisseur
rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 2 Sony PRS-500s, iPad
To AprilHare:
I use 32-bit Windows XP in my virtual machine.
I always connect my Reader through the USB hub on my Apple keyboard, so I don't think there's any problem there. The Mac can see the Reader and even figure out what it is. But the Mac version of eBook Library won't recognize it as a Reader. It just shows "error" on the display. On the Windows side, the Reader mounts as a removable drive ("E:" in my case.)
rwsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:17 AM   #28
eksor
Connoisseur
eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs700, i-mate JAMin, smartq v7, GeeksPhone Zero, iPad 3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The 505 has no justification and no split/hyphened page numbers. The split/hyphened pages are newer then what the 505 has. The 600 & 300 have it. Not sure of the 700.
I have a prs700, no justification while reading epub

Regards
eksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:50 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksor View Post

Regards
Um.. not talking justification, but page number in the bar at the bottom.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:56 AM   #30
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksor View Post

Regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Um.. not talking justification, but page number in the bar at the bottom.
If there is more than what fits on one page, the PRS-700 displays the hyphenated page.

Example 5-6 of 182.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote