Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
TGNY
Enthusiast
TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-600
Library Ebook Expired?

Hi,

I borrowed my first ebook last week from my local library (World War Z by Max brooks, very good so far) and it was due to expire a few days ago on saturday but It is still on my reader and readable. Am I missing something here? do I have to return it somehow? am I accumulating late fees?
TGNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
What does the number next to the book title say? (you know, the one that counts the days left). What do you see in Adobe Digital Editions? Maybe it just hasn't expired yet?
There should be no late fees on ebooks, as they automatically stop working.
You can also go to your library and check if your book is "recently returned" or not.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 08:56 PM   #3
TGNY
Enthusiast
TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.TGNY has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

In the list it says expired next to the book title but still readable. I just noticed in the sony reader program it is unviewable. I dont see it in Adobe, I dont think I even used it to download the book. I'm still confused lol
Old 01-20-2010, 05:21 AM   #4
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
If it's no longer viewable on the sony software, then you have "returned" it.
No idea why it's still readable on the reader - my first library book expires in a week, I'll check then if I can still open it.
I use ADE instead of the sony software for borrowing (and purchasing), but I don't think it should make any difference.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:04 AM   #5
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
You shouldn't be able to view library books after the expiration date. They will remain on your Sony Reader until you delete them but if you open them they should say protected page or similar. Maybe there was a glitch with yours.

But rest assured you do not incur late fees or anything like that - the books are just assumed returned to the library at the end of the borrowing date. With epub files you can return those early in the ADE software by right-clicking on the book I believe and choosing return item.

Interestingly if you borrow audiobooks and transfer to say your iPod, they will work even after the expiration date has passed but will be removed from the audiobook software.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
strange. when i checked out a few books they became unreadable on the reader and the desktop software said they were expired. they didn't disappear, just wouldn't display. maybe your unit glitched and you got lucky.

world war z was a good book. enjoy. his survival guide is pretty funny too but probably wouldn't work well on the reader due to all the graphics.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
I wonder if the reader only checks the status upon opening the book but if you don't close it you can keep reading even past the expiration?
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:23 AM   #8
TGNY
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
I wonder if the reader only checks the status upon opening the book but if you don't close it you can keep reading even past the expiration?
I went to the book list in the reader and back and it was still readable, is that what you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
world war z was a good book. enjoy. his survival guide is pretty funny too but probably wouldn't work well on the reader due to all the graphics.
The guide was the 1st and only ebook i purchased so far, it actually worked out OK.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:20 AM   #9
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGNY View Post
I went to the book list in the reader and back and it was still readable, is that what you mean?
I was thinking about opening another book before coming back, so that "continue reading" doesn't have the same book. The only other thing (besides this being a bug) that I can think of is that the date in the reader is wrong.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:53 PM   #10
TGNY
Enthusiast

When Im done reading I will try that and post results.

How can you tell the date on it?

When the book 1st appeared on my list it had a 7 next to the title, so I had 7 days left to read it. Despite the date Im sure the 7 days counted down. I have learned that 7 days can be changed to 14 days (and up to 21 days on other media) by changing your preferences at the library website.

Last edited by TGNY; 01-22-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #11
dmapr
Evangelist

Quote:
When Im done reading I will try that and post results.

How can you tell the date on it?

When the book 1st appeared on my list it had a 7 next to the title, so I had 7 days left to read it. Despite the date Im sure the 7 days counted down. I have learned that 7 days can be changed to 14 days (and up to 21 days on other media) by changing your preferences at the library website.
On my PRS-900 it is the very first item when I go to the Settings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen124.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	44134  
Old 01-23-2010, 01:20 PM   #12
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
On my PRS-900 it is the very first item when I go to the Settings.
Is there a PrtScr (print screen) function on the PRS-900?
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:25 PM   #13
dmapr
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Is there a PrtScr (print screen) function on the PRS-900?
There is one provided by porkupan for which I'm very grateful
Old 02-06-2010, 09:13 AM   #14
TGNY
Enthusiast

Ok so this is the verdict, the book remains openable/readable on your reader as long as you don't open another book even after it has expired. I read my well expired book and when I was done I opened another book and went back to the public library ebook and it was unopenable/expired!

Good tip to know
Old 02-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #15
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Ok so this is the verdict, the book remains openable/readable on your reader as long as you don't open another book even after it has expired. I read my well expired book and when I was done I opened another book and went back to the public library ebook and it was unopenable/expired!

Good tip to know
Thanks for the follow up!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote