Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-18-2009, 07:49 AM   #1
abuzakour
abuzakour began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
need gift cards :(

Hi Guys,

the same old story. I live outside the US and can't buy books from Sony.

I've read that someone can send me the codes and i can pay by paypal!

thanks in advance
abuzakour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
PM me. I have bought them for several members here.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2009, 06:15 AM   #3
JCB_Digger
eBook newbie
JCB_Digger began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Hi Bob,

I'm in the same situation - I bought a couple of PRS505's early this year, one for me, one for my daughter (who's 11 and devours books at an alarming rate). I'm currently happy to work my way through what's available for free at Project Gutenberg, but she's read pretty much everything I think's interesting/suitable and has a reading list for her next academic year.

(a few) of the books are available at the Sony Ebook store (but none of them on Waterstones, which would be the first port of call) - I'm registered with the Sony store, but of course the stumbling block is when you come to enter your CC details..

So, can I contact you for some codes? And could you/anyone suggest any other online ebook sellers who might stock kids books?

It's really infuriating situation for her to be in - imagine being given a Ferrari, but being told that petrol is now being rationed a 1 gallon a month :-)

Thanks in advance, John
JCB_Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Hi John and welcome to MobileRead.

WH Smith's ebook store and Books on Board both do children's books. I think WH Smith's has a somewhat better selection.

My son, who is 9 yrs, enjoys writing and has written two chapter books. I have formatted these and loaded them on the 505 for him to read.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
John,

Sure... PM me and I will be happy to help you out.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2009, 11:56 AM   #6
AndiR
Rather interested
AndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle, Sony Ereader, Ipad & iPhone
You can buy from more than just Sony!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuzakour View Post
I live outside the US and can't buy books from Sony.
Epub and several other formats are available as well as Sony's DRM'd efforts

Check out the wiki here for the 505 formats and ebook shops

AndiR
AndiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:00 AM   #7
JCB_Digger
eBook newbie
JCB_Digger began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Many thanks for all your replies.

Curly: I've given the Books on Board site a quick looking over, and there's a decent selection there, thanks very much for the pointer.

AndiR: Again, thanks - lot's of useful information there...

BOb: "You've got mail" :-)

Regards, John
JCB_Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:43 PM   #8
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
My brother today pointed me towards http://www.entropay.com/, which is a UK-based company doing prepaid Virtual VISA Cards. He's got one and was able to use it today on the Sony eStore, so might be worth a look, although there looks to be a 5% 'loading' charge involved.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:41 PM   #9
iozy
iozy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I've noticed that some books I want are only available at the sony store... but I use a mac. Is there no way of purchasing titles and getting the file without a PC?
iozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:34 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You don't need a PC, but you do need to run Windows. "Bootcamp" or "Parallels" on the Mac will allow you to do so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:45 AM   #11
iozy
iozy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
could i use a friends PC for the odd sony store purchase and still run everything else through calibre on the mac? or would the reader be tied to the PC-only from that point onward?

Thanks for your help...
iozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:01 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That would work fine. You can have up to six "devices" (a "device" is either a PC or a Reader) registered to your Sony account.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote