Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-23-2007, 06:17 PM   #1
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Supported Format Matrix Added to Wiki

I just added a new matrix to the Formats page of the MobileRead Wiki. The cross reference grid shows eink ebook readers along the top and formats down the left side. The types are divided into "eBooks", "Music", "Graphics", and "Compressed" with the formats under each. In each cell of the matrix is either "Yes" or "No".

The order of the device listing and the first few rows were lifted from the Eink Comparison Matrix page of the Wiki.

There may be errors, please correct if you find any. There may be missing formats as the firmware for each reader improves. Also since some of the reader's specifications referenced for this project were based on prerelease data, this may change.

The big hole in the matrix is the omission of older ebook readers such as the eBookwise. If someone with that reader could add the supported formats we would all be better for it.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:22 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well, done, RWood, and nice idea. One thought occurs to me, do you think the matrix might be clearer if the "Yeses" were marked (either as "Yes" or with an "X" or some such) and the "Nos" left blank?

You're getting to be quite the Wiki-Master.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2007, 07:11 PM   #3
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY reader
where did you get info about the amazon Kindle?
sic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

NatCh: Good thought about the "X"s and blanks. I had a bit of a problem keeping myself straight in the formatting as it was. The Wiki table functions are a bit obtuse and somewhat like the 800 pound gorellia, it sits where it wants to sit. I had at first envisioned the matrix being at the top of the page as an introduction to the formats, but no matter where I put the code the matrix always seemed to show up at the bottom of the page. I will do a little more research on the Wiki and modify it soon.

(I was lucky the last time I made a major change to the pages as an unnamed guru through an ISP in Switzerland modified and updated the formatting after I was finished. )

sic: I got the information from post #5 by DHer in a thread started by CommanderROR. There were some other external references there but I did not run them down.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:28 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Assuming the Amazon Kindle uses MobiPocket Reader (or at least completely supports .MOBI files), it supports many more formats via "desktop" (Windows XP) conversion: .doc, .rtf, .pdf, .html, .chm, (.ocf) and .txt. I don't know if MobiPocket Reader supports .txt without conversion.

Also, .PDB is Palm Database File format but this covers many incompatible file types. What MobiPocket supports is AportisDoc, which is the main Palm e-book format. Other .pbd file types include zTXT, PeanutPress, TomeRaider, Plucker, and iSilo. There is a brief discussion of this on the FBReader Google group here.

Last edited by wallcraft; 02-23-2007 at 08:37 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2007, 10:13 PM   #6
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
A really wonderful and valuable addition. Fantastic job!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:56 AM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer

The matrix is now revised by removing the "No" responses and replacing them with blank spaces. Also the Sony Reader graphic and music formats were expanded and corrected. The last part was also updated on the Eink Comparison Matrix.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:52 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Kindle information is originally from page 28 of the manual, which just lists the native formats based on their filename extensions. I added discussion on AZW (a mystery), and modified MOBI, PDB and PRC on the formats page.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:44 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My guess is that AZW is probably "AmaZon (something -- Write, maybe? Or 'Weader')"
Old 02-24-2007, 08:46 PM   #10
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Amazon is thinking big these days. Maybe it's something like the "AmaZon Webstore" format?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 09:41 PM   #11
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Great work. Easy to see all the formats quickly.

I got all excited when I saw txt for the iLiad. Thinking I had missed something, and having loads of txt files, I quickly loaded one onto my MMC.

It was unreadable because the text was too small and didn't flow properly.
All the right-hand side was cut off.
Undaunted, I changed the font to size 16, A5 page size and tried again.
Exactly the same thing - no change from the previous document either in text size or the right-hand margin problem.

Oh well, back to my PDF A5 documents which I have to say do look excellent on the device.

I notice that PDF does not have a YES against it for the iLiad ?
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:36 PM   #12
RWood
Technogeezer

It does now. Thanks for that catch.

It seems from your description that the iRex (forgive me as I do not have one) does not reflow text lines as some other readers and applications will. Even changing the font size and page size prior to saving will do nothing as these parameters are not stored in a text file. Being almost a content only format, text files contain the letters; numbers; space; punctutation; and only paragraph, tab, and line feed controls.

Perhaps what is needed is something like the old DOS based word processors that had the ability to generate text outputs with hard returns at the end of each line that would conform with the line length of the iRex.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:09 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader

I have updated the Bookeen entries based on the N.A.E.B. LLC specs.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:12 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

Good show, wallcraft, but keep in mind that NAEB is planning on adjusting the format list on their units (assuming that they can successfully do so), so their list may or may not end up fitting with what Bookeen 'officially' does or doesn't support.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:01 PM   #15
RWood
Technogeezer

Nice addition of the link to the cross reference matrix for the eink devices. I keep hoping that someone will add some of the legacy devices such as the eBookWise.