Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 05-12-2010, 08:17 AM   #31
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Never seen it on either of my Jetbooks.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:03 AM   #32
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
It may be that my old "Eye - Brain" function has learned to ignore and/or compensate
for the occasional "flicker", I haven't seen it on my JBL or in the clips presented in
this thread.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #33
errata
errata began at the beginning.

Device: JBL
I'm seeing it exactly as shown on the video. Updating the firmware and putting in new batteries had no affect.

I received this response from ectaco regarding this problem:

Quote:
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your mail.

Please contact our New York office. They will provide answers to your
questions.

Customer Service Department - Roksolana

Monday-Friday

1-718-728-6110 (ext.203)
mailto: Roksolana@ectaco.com

Technical Support - Phil

Monday-Friday 9.00am - 5.30pm

1-718-728-6110 (ext.206)

mailto: phil@ectaco.com

We work Monday-Friday 9-00am to 6-00 pm (Eastern Time, New York, USA).

Phone and email are available 24/7.

Please, leave a voice message if all representatives are busy. We will
return call within 8 business hours.

We respond for all emails within 8 business hours also.
errata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #34
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I haven't seen it on my JBL or in the clips presented in this thread.
Same here. I have not noticed it on my JBL and the clips video compression artifacts are more noticeable to me than being able to see the flicker.

I hope you find a solution to your issue.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:38 AM   #35
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Okay....

So far, that's 3 to 1, in favour of "No Issues"...

Is there any chance the OP or one of the mods can add a relevant poll to this thread?
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #36
camgee
camgee began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
I'm definitely gonna send mine back while under warranty. It has gotten very bad under direct sunlight. It is really weird because under interior non-sunlight it hardly or never does it. Under direct strong sunlight at this point it is unreadable. One side of the screen's printing seems to almost move all the way to the center of the screen. It is definitely an issue with direct sunlight. Anyone out there that is more tech knowledgeable want to venture a guess about how UV rays can affect the screen so dramatically? Next chance I get I'll try to video the effect that I am seeing.
camgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:33 AM   #37
novel
novel began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
Okay....

So far, that's 3 to 1, in favour of "No Issues"...

Is there any chance the OP or one of the mods can add a relevant poll to this thread?
Fair enough.

Have also sent e-mails to etaco and was told to update firmware, recharge batteries, reset model, etc. None seemed to work and so awaiting on further advice from them. Might try to change the model of batteries I use.

Edit: poll option doesn't seem to exist when editing first post.

Last edited by novel; 05-14-2010 at 05:35 AM.
novel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:38 AM   #38
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
I've heard of people being sensitive to refresh rates on HDTV's. Maybe this is similar and not necessarily a bad unit as much as a sensitivity issue. I wonder if a replacement would actually correct the problem, or if as stated above a "tweak" to the refresh is needed?
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:03 AM   #39
theologic
theologic began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
I've heard of people being sensitive to refresh rates on HDTV's. Maybe this is similar and not necessarily a bad unit as much as a sensitivity issue. I wonder if a replacement would actually correct the problem, or if as stated above a "tweak" to the refresh is needed?
I'll place a bet that if you have a defective unit, the big part of the issue is how you use it.

If you use the JBL under incandescent lights with a big font, I think you may miss it.

If you use it in Sunlight with smaller fonts, it is pretty hard not to miss it.

Then combined with this, some units may not have the issue.
theologic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:10 AM   #40
Majah
Majah began at the beginning.

Device: eSlick
I also have the LCD flicker problem on my Jet Book Lite.

It is most noticeable to me in indirect Sunlight.
My font size is 20.
Majah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:31 AM   #41
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
But why would the problem only be occuring in full sunlight?
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:37 AM   #42
novel
novel began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingenzyme View Post
But why would the problem only be occuring in full sunlight?
Perhaps for some weird reason involving differences between the spectrum found in natural and artificial light. Another thread was searching for the exact lcd model of the device. Might help to know it I suppose.

Still think the problem might lie with the AA battery setup. Do any of the regular jetbooks (that use the built-in battery) have this issue?
novel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:30 PM   #43
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by novel View Post
Perhaps for some weird reason involving differences between the spectrum found in natural and artificial light. Another thread was searching for the exact lcd model of the device. Might help to know it I suppose.

Still think the problem might lie with the AA battery setup. Do any of the regular jetbooks (that use the built-in battery) have this issue?
I have jetBook and jetBook-Lite and both units have no issues.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:20 PM   #44
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
Quote:
Originally Posted by novel View Post

Yes, I am one of those who have this problem with a regular Jetbook. However, in my case this seems to be an issue only at two smallest font sizes. It seems quite inconsistent - sometimes I can see it with fluorescent light, sometimes there's no flicker. Probably also the angle at which light falls on the screen plays a role: if I see the flicker and tilt the screen a bit, the flicker almost vanishes.
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:01 AM   #45
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
I have noticed this flickering on my JBL as well. It comes sometimes without sunlight. You really have to look for it to see. If I don't think about it, I don't actually see it at all.

Should I try to return this unit and ask for a new one? This flickering may get worse over time, and I don't want that.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote