Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-08-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Restarted by itself?

My 505 just restarted -- apparently by itself. I pressed the next page button (on the right side) it went blank for a bit and then came to the restarting screen! It lost my bookmarks as well. Is this something I should expect to happen on occasion???

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I should expect to happen on occasion???

On occasion, but not very often.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
On occasion, but not very often.
Well that's encouraging.

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2009, 10:18 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Well that's encouraging.

Thanks!
My 505 that I sold when I got my Kindle 2 used to do it maybe once every 2 weeks with very heavy use (4-6 books a week). For mine it seemed after it did it the battery meter would have dropped 1-2 bars. I don't know if it was somehow recalibrating the battery meter or if some kind of buffer was filling up or what. I've just bought a 505 from a forum member, but that hasn't arrived yet so I don't know if it will show the same behavior.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:23 PM   #5
kennyc

Thanks for you help. I'm hoping it was just an anomaly.
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 01:01 AM   #6
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I've had my 505 about a year and a half. It's spontaneously rebooted three or four times. That's with daily usage. It doesn't always use the book marks either.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:07 AM   #7
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
I've had this issue with a couple of books I converted to EPUB with Calibre (version 0.5 I think). Was this the same for you? If so head up to the Calibre forum and see if this was/is an issue and whether it has been rectified.
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:58 AM   #8
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I've seen it occasionally and suspect that there's a combination of things involved, but my guess is that there's some issue where certain books/pages result in the readers needing more memory than normal. If the reader's been in use for a while, that may not being available, due to it being used elsewhere in caches, etc, and the reader has a fatal error & resets. When it resets, the same book/pages can be read and, immediately after a clean start, the memory's available...

(There have been cases reported in the past where it's been possible to create ePub's which always crash the reader, but AIUI, those cases have been found & trapped.)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:06 AM   #9
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I've had my 505 about a year and a half. It's spontaneously rebooted three or four times. That's with daily usage. It doesn't always use the book marks either.

dordale
Hmm, you mean it doesn't always LOSE the bookmarks?
Old 09-09-2009, 06:09 AM   #10
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0zza View Post
I've had this issue with a couple of books I converted to EPUB with Calibre (version 0.5 I think). Was this the same for you? If so head up to the Calibre forum and see if this was/is an issue and whether it has been rectified.
I didn't convert this one -- I was reading "Of Human Bondage" from Project Gutenberg.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:11 AM   #11
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
I've seen it occasionally and suspect that there's a combination of things involved, but my guess is that there's some issue where certain books/pages result in the readers needing more memory than normal. If the reader's been in use for a while, that may not being available, due to it being used elsewhere in caches, etc, and the reader has a fatal error & resets. When it resets, the same book/pages can be read and, immediately after a clean start, the memory's available...

(There have been cases reported in the past where it's been possible to create ePub's which always crash the reader, but AIUI, those cases have been found & trapped.)

Yes that was the case here. I though it might be associated with the 'page' of the books since that is when it happened -- going to the next page, but after the reboot (and once I found the right page -- as the current bookmark page had disappeared) it worked fine.

I also just check the "History" and that seems to be intact, so despite losing the bookmarks, it retained the reading history.

Last edited by kennyc; 09-09-2009 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:48 AM   #12
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
Well, call me a complete idiot incurable optimist, but I sent an e-mail to Sony Support about this issue, because it's happening to both of the 505's in my house, too. We'll see what they have to say.
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:58 AM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflower75 View Post
Well, call me a complete idiot incurable optimist, but I sent an e-mail to Sony Support about this issue, because it's happening to both of the 505's in my house, too. We'll see what they have to say.

Please keep me (us) posted.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #14
veysey
Enthusiast
veysey doesn't litterveysey doesn't litter

Device: Sony ?
Me too ...

Only had a 505 for about a week, and am playing with various books, but I seem to run into this a lot - 5 or 6 times in a week.

I've been using epub almost exclusively.

Observed correlations:
- Large ebooks (For instance, the Webster dictionary posted here in the book forums)
- Some epubs created from web-site source with calibre.

Definitely post if Sony tells you something!

Cheers
veysey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:09 AM   #15
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Hmm, you mean it doesn't always LOSE the bookmarks?
That's what I mean. I do have one book, the LRF version of the KJV Bible (DL'ed from here) that will reliably cause a reset if I try to change the font size to large. What usually happens is the reader forgets my most recent bookmarks, but remembers older ones. Sometimes it's forgotten everything though.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote