Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 03-01-2009, 06:58 AM   #1
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
What ?

You know, guys, I've spent a while jumping in and out of these threads, the blog and the wiki / and google search - and I still cannot find anything that tells me what OpenInkPot is .....

Sell it to me (and other users who may be interested but haven't asked)....
Old 03-01-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I googled it and this was the first entry on the list:

http://openinkpot.org/

BOb
Advert
Old 03-01-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
quickhand
Connoisseur
quickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheese

Device: Hanlin V3, Sony prs-505, Hanwang n516
I'll see if I can take this one.
Ok, so you buy an ebook reader. Most of the popular models are just about the same: e-ink screen, some buttons, maybe wifi and touchscreen. That's the hardware.
Then you've got the software side: the bookshelf, apps, reader software, as well as the whole framework behind. This is what most people end up comparing between readers. This is the firmware.
Openinkpot is a firmware replacement. On supported readers you can completely replace your original firmware with OI, with its framework, custom bookshelf, reader software - all of it. Your original firmware doesn't have folders in the bookshelf? You can't choose the fonts you want to read in, or adjust the margins, or bla bla bla? No problem. Get rid of your old firmware. Openinkpot has these features, and is becoming more useful day by day. OpenInkpot is developer friendly, free, and completely open source, so anyone can add the features they want and share them with the community.
That's OpenInkpot. Got it? You can go to the website and find out more.
ps. Please correct me, someone, if I got something wrong. I tend to play a little fast and loose with the technical terms
Old 03-02-2009, 05:38 AM   #4
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I googled it and this was the first entry on the list:

http://openinkpot.org/

BOb
Of course I went there - but where does it describe what OpenInkPot is?
What it does.
How does it improve my reading on my chosen device.
What does it give me as the 'extra'.

OIP obviously does something good - else it wouldn't have a defined place on the MR menus.

Where's the introductory paragraph that defines the product.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickhand View Post
I'll see if I can take this one.
Ok, so you buy an ebook reader. Most of the popular models are just about the same: e-ink screen, some buttons, maybe wifi and touchscreen. That's the hardware.
Then you've got the software side: the bookshelf, apps, reader software, as well as the whole framework behind. This is what most people end up comparing between readers. This is the firmware.
Openinkpot is a firmware replacement. On supported readers you can completely replace your original firmware with OI, with its framework, custom bookshelf, reader software - all of it. Your original firmware doesn't have folders in the bookshelf? You can't choose the fonts you want to read in, or adjust the margins, or bla bla bla? No problem. Get rid of your old firmware. Openinkpot has these features, and is becoming more useful day by day. OpenInkpot is developer friendly, free, and completely open source, so anyone can add the features they want and share them with the community.
That's OpenInkpot. Got it? You can go to the website and find out more.
ps. Please correct me, someone, if I got something wrong. I tend to play a little fast and loose with the technical terms
Thank you - that's cleared up the questions - now where did you, may I ask, find that description explicitly described?
Old 03-02-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
The project is in a very early Beta stage. It makes perfect sense to me that they wouldn't publish a list of features until they've got a fully working version to release. At the moment they probably don't want casual users stumbling across it and installing it before a stable version is produced.

But you can find out more info in several places, including this forum, the project's blog:

http://blog.openinkpot.org/

...and the Users' Guide:

http://openinkpot.org/wiki/0.2/UsersGuide
Advert
Old 03-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #6
quickhand
Connoisseur
quickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheese

The description attached to this forum is:
"OpenInkpot is a community project aimed at creating a free, open-source firmware replacement for various e-book devices."
And the openinkpot website says, at the very top:
"OpenInkpot is a free and open-source Linux distribution for eink-based devices."

These descriptions, for those who know what the terms "linux distribution" and "firmware" mean, pretty much say it all. But that's always an issue with projects run by tech savvy people: they don't know how to talk to people who aren't.

That said, this a community project, where the philosophy is "don't complain, contribute!" If you find the explanations insufficient, submit your own. We need all the help we can get (don't forget, either, that this project is run by non-native English speakers).

And as for us wanting to discourage users, not at all! Anyone who's tried it will tell you it is pretty damn stable and usable already.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #7
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
The project is in a very early Beta stage. It makes perfect sense to me that they wouldn't publish a list of features until they've got a fully working version to release. At the moment they probably don't want casual users stumbling across it and installing it before a stable version is produced.

But you can find out more info in several places, including this forum, the project's blog:

http://blog.openinkpot.org/

...and the Users' Guide:

http://openinkpot.org/wiki/0.2/UsersGuide
The users guide is just that, a guide for users - but to be a user there needs to be a 'selling point'? An area of interest to bring new folk into the project - either as contributor or user of the end product.

Quote:
The description attached to this forum is:
"OpenInkpot is a community project aimed at creating a free, open-source firmware replacement for various e-book devices."
And the openinkpot website says, at the very top:
"OpenInkpot is a free and open-source Linux distribution for eink-based devices."
Okay, that's a pithy introduction. Uses words that make sense; but as a replacement for the firmware - what makes this better than the manufacturers efforts .... ?

Quote:

These descriptions, for those who know what the terms "linux distribution" and "firmware" mean, pretty much say it all. But that's always an issue with projects run by tech savvy people: they don't know how to talk to people who aren't.
I've been involved in IT since the 70s - and one thing that is very necessary is the description for the "non-savvy-man-on-the-street".

Quote:

That said, this a community project, where the philosophy is "don't complain, contribute!" If you find the explanations insufficient, submit your own. We need all the help we can get (don't forget, either, that this project is run by non-native English speakers).

And as for us wanting to discourage users, not at all! Anyone who's tried it will tell you it is pretty damn stable and usable already.
One cannot until one knows what's what .........

Okay - Take the specs for the Cybook 3 - which is my model.
Explain what openinkpot does that improves my reading experience on said unit. Why should I use openinkpot in preference to what Bookeen, in their tardy way, provide.....

Back to my original request; Sell openinkpot to me as a 'customer'.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Okay - Take the specs for the Cybook 3 - which is my model.
Explain what openinkpot does that improves my reading experience on said unit. Why should I use openinkpot in preference to what Bookeen, in their tardy way, provide.....

Back to my original request; Sell openinkpot to me as a 'customer'.
1- It's still not in a stable state, so it's probably not advisable to install it for non-moderately-tech-savvy people.

2- It's not ported to the Cybook, so it improves nothing over Bookeen's firmware: you cannot use it.

3- The main advantage is that it is an open and actively developped platform. If you find a problem or want a feature you can kindly ask and it will at least be heard, or you can implement it yourself. More immediate advantages are: support for more formats (ePub, LIT, rtf, are good candidates), possibility of adjusting some parameters (margins, line spacing), folder support, etc. Another advantage is the possibility of using the same software in different readers.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #9
quickhand
Connoisseur

You are working under a fundamental misconception: You are not my customer. This is a community effort. I am a volunteer. I am paid $0 to make this sale.
Ours is not a customer-salesman relationship. We are equals. I am motivated to work on this project by my desire to create the best possible firmware for my ebook reader, which upon purchase I realized to be woefully limited by the firmware provided. If you are happy with the firmware on your ebook reader, no skin off my nose. But if you miss all the features that were left out due to a concern with profits and quick release over quality, come check us out. And yes, I realize having a solid base of users is essential to the long-term success of this project, but it is probably better to have users that are willing to meet us half-way, and do a little leg-work, without a sense of entitlement to my time which is as precious to me as yours is no doubt to you.

The reason to adopt OI? For me it comes down to this: more and better features, and an open development process that allows me to add more and better features. If you want to know more, read up on our website, or ask your questions. And if you find it useful and worthwhile, contribute.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:21 PM   #10
GeoffC

Quote:
You are working under a fundamental misconception: You are not my customer. This is a community effort. I am a volunteer. I am paid $0 to make this sale.
Ours is not a customer-salesman relationship. We are equals. I am motivated to work on this project by my desire to create the best possible firmware for my ebook reader, which upon purchase I realized to be woefully limited by the firmware provided. If you are happy with the firmware on your ebook reader, no skin off my nose. But if you miss all the features that were left out due to a concern with profits and quick release over quality, come check us out. And yes, I realize having a solid base of users is essential to the long-term success of this project, but it is probably better to have users that are willing to meet us half-way, and do a little leg-work, without a sense of entitlement to my time which is as precious to me as yours is no doubt to you.

The reason to adopt OI? For me it comes down to this: more and better features, and an open development process that allows me to add more and better features. If you want to know more, read up on our website, or ask your questions. And if you find it useful and worthwhile, contribute.
But you still haven't explained what features are better with inkpot....The website doesn't expicitly say....

If we are equals - then tell me, as an equal, why inkpot is good for me....

My use of the word customer is incorrect, and for that I apologise - look upon me as a potential user....
Old 03-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #11
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
1- It's still not in a stable state, so it's probably not advisable to install it for non-moderately-tech-savvy people.

2- It's not ported to the Cybook, so it improves nothing over Bookeen's firmware: you cannot use it.

3- The main advantage is that it is an open and actively developped platform. If you find a problem or want a feature you can kindly ask and it will at least be heard, or you can implement it yourself. More immediate advantages are: support for more formats (ePub, LIT, rtf, are good candidates), possibility of adjusting some parameters (margins, line spacing), folder support, etc. Another advantage is the possibility of using the same software in different readers.
I am moderately tech-savvy, so I take note of your comment in 2....
now if you were to tell me that it could provide folder support to the Cybook ... earlier and better than Bookeen's firmware then you may convince me that it is worthwhile my consideration....
Old 03-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #12
quickhand
Connoisseur

Our bookshelf has folders, sorting, user defined tags, custom file filtering, cutting copying pasting deleting of files, more.

We have two different reader programs, FBReader and Coolreader (you can use the one you prefer), that allow full customizability of reader experience, with features such as: margin, line spacing, precise font size settings, custom user fonts, dictionary, text search, etc. etc. etc. As well as support for just about every book type you can think of: fb2, HTML, CHM, plucker, Palmdoc, zTxt, TCR , RTF, OEB, OpenReader, mobipocket, text, and more.

Our PDF reader supports white space/margin trimming and full panning and zooming.

This is just off the top of my head. There are lots of features not listed.

When it comes down to it, the most important thing to me is that I can make my books look EXACTLY - to the pixel - the way I want them to. No other firmware lets me do that. I got involved in this project, essentially, because of pathological pickiness.

Our port to the cybook is very far along, but stalled because we don't have any developers working on it (we are in the process of porting to some other devices and have no time). Find us an interested developer with a cybook and some time on his hands and you'll have your folders, and a whole lot more.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #13
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Geoff, I can tell you what OpenInkPot (OI) does for me on my EZ Reader (& all those in the Hanlin V3 family) and to some extend what it does not do.

It allows me to;
  1. read several unDRMed formats. e.g. .PRC (& MOBI), RTF, HTML, FB2, TXT, PDF(not any better than others with PDFs)
  2. use either of two reader SWs, FBreader and Cool Reader (each has unique features, e.g. CoolReader allows the 10 page advance similar to the original Sony)
  3. search for text string
  4. delete books from the reader
  5. change the font to any True Type Font (but not Open Type Font)
  6. change the font size
  7. use folders & sub-folders
  8. standard things like bookmarks, navigation, etc.

What it does not do;
  1. read DRMed ebooks
  2. read Epub (yet) (edited 3-4-09 - it does read Epub)

There are two ways to load OI, 1) you can flash it to the internal memory just like updating your firmware or 2) load it on an SD card and keep your original firmware but still change to OI. To chang back to the original firmware, you have to reboot. This second way is ideal to try OI without losing your original firmware.

With the number buttons on the Hanlin V3s it is easy to use. I'm not sure how well it would work on a Sony or Cybook without those keys.

Hopw this helps some.

Last edited by slayda; 03-04-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:22 PM   #14
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
What it does not do;
  1. ...
  2. read Epub (yet)
Slayda, my installation of OI reads epub. Are you sure your's doesn't? It's FBReader, which does epub quite well.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #15
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Our bookshelf has folders, sorting, user defined tags, custom file filtering, cutting copying pasting deleting of files, more.

We have two different reader programs, FBReader and Coolreader (you can use the one you prefer), that allow full customizability of reader experience, with features such as: margin, line spacing, precise font size settings, custom user fonts, dictionary, text search, etc. etc. etc. As well as support for just about every book type you can think of: fb2, HTML, CHM, plucker, Palmdoc, zTxt, TCR , RTF, OEB, OpenReader, mobipocket, text, and more.

Our PDF reader supports white space/margin trimming and full panning and zooming.

This is just off the top of my head. There are lots of features not listed.

When it comes down to it, the most important thing to me is that I can make my books look EXACTLY - to the pixel - the way I want them to. No other firmware lets me do that. I got involved in this project, essentially, because of pathological pickiness.

Our port to the cybook is very far along, but stalled because we don't have any developers working on it (we are in the process of porting to some other devices and have no time). Find us an interested developer with a cybook and some time on his hands and you'll have your folders, and a whole lot more.
Good job of selling, quickhand.