Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 08-07-2011, 06:48 AM   #1
garyhgaryh
Zealot
garyhgaryh began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Running out of space.

I can no longer install apps. I've run out of space.
I have a stock pe with ermine upgrade.

I deleted some old apks from my /sdcard/download folder. I see no change in disk usage! I also deleted some apps using the manage app menu.
Still not enough space.

My app space is over 19.2 megs of about 322 megs.
My internal storage is 20 megs of 22 megs free.

Looks like I need to clear the app space. Can someone tell me
The diff between the two (app and internal). Best to explain to me
What dirs consist of app space and internal.

Once I'm able to install link2sd I will do the mods mention in the other
Thread to put my apps on sdcard.

I have a bunch of apps loaded from the amazon app store but failed to install.
Where are those apks located? If I delete them will I be able to dowload them again for free since I got them as free app of the day and it may not be free now.

Thanks
Gary
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:31 AM   #2
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
I can no longer install apps. I've run out of space.
I noticed when sideloading (USB to PC) after installation the original apk was still stored, thus taking up space. I now store all apks in dropbox and delete them from the edge after installation.

Edit: Any books loaded which were subsequently added to the library will have two copies on the edge.

Last edited by Gunnerp245; 08-07-2011 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Additional infio.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Gary, I didn't think the PE was so different to the EE in the way of storage.

From my EE:
App storage, total 322MB, available 9.68MB.

Internal storage, total 2.49GB, available 1.82 GB

SD card, total 0.96GB, available 0.89GB.

The thing I find strange is your internal storage is only MBs whereas mine is GBs. Maybe someone else with a PE can confirm that.

As far as I know, things that are downloaded go into the download directory.

I very much doubt that you can re-download paid apps for free once the free day has ended but again I'm nor sure not having tried it.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:39 AM   #4
garyhgaryh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post

From my EE:

The thing I find strange is your internal storage is only MBs whereas mine is GBs. Maybe someone else with a PE can confirm that.

I very much doubt that you can re-download paid apps for free once the free day has ended but again I'm nor sure not having tried it.
You are right, my int storage is in gb.
It's 2.49gb with 2.01 gb avail.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
mokel22
Zealot
mokel22 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Quote:
Looks like I need to clear the app space. Can someone tell me
The diff between the two (app and internal). Best to explain to me
What dirs consist of app space and internal.
The only way to clear up app space is to delete from the "manage app" area. Just try to get rid of a few big ones that you don't use often or if it an app that doesn't need to store data, you can only install it when you need it.

App Storage is like your primary hard drive that has your OS as well as all of your programs stored

I do not know how Amazon stores the apps that you download, but do not install. I assume they would delete them, but I'd never found out where.

Internal space is like your secondary drive that holds your media and uninstalled app apks (among other things)

Quote:
Where are those apks located? If I delete them will I be able to dowload them again for free since I got them as free app of the day and it may not be free now.
Amazon keeps track of what apps you have gotten in the past and will let you download them again any time you want, don't be afraid to let them go.

I do not know where the uninstalled apps are located, as I have never found where they are stored, can anyone else shed some light.

Either way, you don't need to worry about that because Amazon puts their downloads on your internal storage anyway and you have plenty of that. One thing to make certain of is that if you have other app down loaders to make sure that you choose to download the apps into the bigger storage area (or else your completely screwed because IDK how to delete from the app space)

Last edited by mokel22; 08-07-2011 at 09:11 AM.
mokel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #6
mokel22
Zealot
mokel22 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post

From my EE:

The PE storage is the same as your Edge storage. In addition, you can reinstall the free apps because they count as a digital purchase and amazon keeps track of which apks you have purchased in the past.
mokel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
garyhgaryh
Zealot

Just a quick update:

I was able to make room by deleting installed apps only. I deleted large ones like angry bird and the dolphin browser.

I'm able to install link2sd, but the funny thing is that I need to clear out 25-30 megs in order to install an app that takes up only 316k.

Gary
Old 08-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Just a thought. I don't know if the pe is the same but I have a pandigital and have found that when uninstalling I have to reboot to get the space I've cleared out. I also have to reboot if I pull the sd card, copy an apk to it, put it back in. The apk will not show up until I reboot. The system does not refresh all the time. Once in awhile if I use refresh in es explorer a new file will show up but not all the time.

I once uninstalled five or six apps trying to free space for a small program and it kept giving the same space problem message - rebooted and all was well.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:21 PM   #9
garyhgaryh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by exscentric View Post
Just a thought. I don't know if the pe is the same but I have a pandigital and have found that when uninstalling I have to reboot to get the space I've cleared out. I also have to reboot if I pull the sd card, copy an apk to it, put it back in. The apk will not show up until I reboot. The system does not refresh all the time. Once in awhile if I use refresh in es explorer a new file will show up but not all the time.

I once uninstalled five or six apps trying to free space for a small program and it kept giving the same space problem message - rebooted and all was well.
i noticed when I was deleting stuff, my space was not being freed. However, if I go through the app manager you can see the free'd space.

I have the gemini app manager and it clears memory for you if you click on 'optimize memory'.

I got my sdcard working on my edge (see thread about sd card on ermine).
Gary
Old 08-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #10
jclmaster
jclmaster began at the beginning.

Quote:

I got my sdcard working on my edge (see thread about sd card on ermine).
Gary
Congrats!
jclmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:37 PM   #11
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Just downloaded Gemini, will be a great addition!

thanks
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:10 AM   #12
garyhgaryh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by exscentric View Post
Just downloaded Gemini, will be a great addition!

thanks
Yeah that's a keeper app.

Anyone know where I can get the market enabler app?

gary
Old 08-08-2011, 02:47 AM   #13
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Congrats on solving your storage problem, Gary, and I see you got the market enabler, too, and put the link in the Apps sticky!

It would seem that all is good! (Just how I like it! )
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote