Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2009, 11:10 AM   #1
dachengruoque
dachengruoque began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
Refurbished or New Kindle Dx? How to tell??

Under the URL
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...4&sr=8-1-fkmr0
It seems that at least two kinds of officially acknowledged versions of Kindle dx are available at Amazon. It is often the case that many refurbished laptops are on sale with a label sticked beneathe the laptop reading something like refurbished or repaired or something. Does Amazon provide any similar indicators telling customers which is new and which is refrubished? There is nearly $100 difference in price and there is blaring differences in their parts as well. If there are such indicators of the like, what are they? Does anyone have related information on telling them apart? Thanks for your information!
dachengruoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I've bought a couple refurbished original Kindles. The only difference was that they had a small red sticker on the shrink wrap next to the product bar code. If you didn't know what it meant you wouldn't know the device was refurbished.

Welcome to MobileRead.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dachengruoque View Post
and there is blaring differences in their parts as well.
What differences in parts are there?
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
JAdams
SamIam
JAdams doesn't litterJAdams doesn't litterJAdams doesn't litter

Device: iPad, K3, Kindle PW, Kindle Fire HDX
I also purchased one of the refurbished Kindle 1's.
It looked like it had never been opened.
The packaging and unit were complete and pristine.
JAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I've purchased a number of refurbished K1s, they are all in great working condition, I would recommend trying it out. No tell-tale signs it was refurb as far as I could see.

If there are any serious issues, then just return it.

Last edited by fugazied; 10-03-2009 at 07:30 PM.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2009, 08:41 PM   #6
dachengruoque

thanks a lot for your information! but i asked some seller in the states to buy me a new kindle dx. for sure the seller promised the price i paid for is to get a new kindle dx but I am afraid that the seller would do something to send me a refurbished one, which is surely what I would like to see. as some said in the thread the refurbished kindles worked perfectly as new ones though i prefer new ones better nearly $100 price gap is not paid for waste, it must find its way to better parts, lasting life or steady perforamnces in new kindles which probabaly can't be detected instantly. but any way thanks for your contribution. i will ask Amazon for more info on the differences and report here for anyone else concerned about the issue.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:59 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
As I see it, you are looking at the prices for a new and refurbished Kindle DX.

The refurbished DX's are simply those which have been returned, for various reasons. They are in perfect shape, and carry the same warranty/guarantee as a "new" one.

There is no difference, internally, between a refurb and new Kindle, whether its a DX or other model.

Hope this helps.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:47 AM   #8
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I've bought a couple refurbished original Kindles. The only difference was that they had a small red sticker on the shrink wrap next to the product bar code. If you didn't know what it meant you wouldn't know the device was refurbished.

Welcome to MobileRead.
I was wondering if someone could provide a picture of this sticker so that interested users will know what to look for
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:03 AM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
I was wondering if someone could provide a picture of this sticker so that interested users will know what to look for
Its a small, red, circular sticker. About 1/2" in diameter.

Thats it.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:08 AM   #10
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Its a small, red, circular sticker. About 1/2" in diameter.

Thats it.
Does it have any markings on it or it's just a plain red dot?
Old 10-04-2009, 02:06 AM   #11
dachengruoque

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
As I see it, you are looking at the prices for a new and refurbished Kindle DX.

The refurbished DX's are simply those which have been returned, for various reasons. They are in perfect shape, and carry the same warranty/guarantee as a "new" one.

There is no difference, internally, between a refurb and new Kindle, whether its a DX or other model.

Hope this helps.
Well, price difference itself is an indicator of some internal quality. I would not like to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the truth might be on your side, but I reserve my stand that there might be some differnce in the two kinds of kindle and their performance etc.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #12
Blog Kindle
Addict

I would say that difference in quality would be negligible. You are almost as likely to get a lemon or DoA new Kindle as have problems with used one.

Just as with cars - it's more of a question of personal preference. Some people just don't want used cars so a car looses several grand just by rolling out of the dealer lot for the first time. Did it suffer any mechanical damage by driving these few hundred yards? Hardly so.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:45 AM   #13
dachengruoque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
I would say that difference in quality would be negligible. You are almost as likely to get a lemon or DoA new Kindle as have problems with used one.

Just as with cars - it's more of a question of personal preference. Some people just don't want used cars so a car looses several grand just by rolling out of the dealer lot for the first time. Did it suffer any mechanical damage by driving these few hundred yards? Hardly so.

Well thanks a lot for your opinion on this! But I prefer a new one whatever it might be DOA or lemon. I paid a new one price then I should have a new one not a refurbished. It seems that a lot of people are trying to convince me that the refurbished are as good as the new. I am posting the list here in orde not to be screwed. C? But anyway
Old 10-05-2009, 07:09 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

Welcome to MobileRead.
How do you like those Kindle 1s, Nate?

I'm thinking of buying a Kindle 1 as a emergency replacement for my Kindle 2 - which I am loving, by the way.

How "cludsey," "fudsey" is a Kindle 1, actually?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:59 AM   #15
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
How do you like those Kindle 1s, Nate?

I'm thinking of buying a Kindle 1 as a emergency replacement for my Kindle 2 - which I am loving, by the way.

How "cludsey," "fudsey" is a Kindle 1, actually?

Don
The main "cludsey" factor for me is the difference in accessing functions betw the K1 and K2 - using a slide button on the back of the K1 to turn on Whispernet, and using the scroll wheel versus the joy stick. I upgraded to a
K2 but kept my K1 as my "travel" Kindle - carry it to work to read at lunch, to appointments, etc. - I have absolutely no trouble adjusting between them.
My biggest objection to the K1 vs the K2 is accessing the dictionary - I got very spoiled with the K2 - having definitions constantly accessible on the bottom of the page I was reading. The K1 dictionary lookup feature is extremely "cludsey" and interrupts the reading flow. If you are not a big dictionary user, this won't bother you.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote