Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
proximus
proximus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Kindle 4 doesn't exit Tequila-Diagnostics

I purchased my Kindle two weeks ago and it had been working flawlessly for 10 days. The other day I accidentally unplugged it from the laptop without the usual USB safe removal. It then rebooted and it hasn't left the diags mode since. I tried to reset it by pressing the power button for 20 secs for a couple of times but nothing changed. Also, when I now plug it to my laptop, it doesn't show unless I previously selected "Enter USB mode" on the diags page. How can I make it back to normal? (I use Windows 7).
proximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Solutions for your problem have been described many times in this forum. Even in recent posts. And in the hacking wikis. Answering the same questions repeatedly gets rather tiring so I will let someone else explain how to use the forum tools to find what you seek. Or perhaps even post some links to some of the solutions.

EDIT: Hints: Recharge your battery. Export USB drive. Create missing folder and XML file. Use "disable diags" menu. Done. There are other solutions too. Read this thread starting at this post :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2222554

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-16-2012 at 02:20 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
proximus

I looked for other threads about this and, as you said, I found some. The fact is, I don't understand what the solutions involves. For example, in your hints: what do you mean by "Create missing folder and xml file"?
Old 09-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximus View Post
I looked for other threads about this and, as you said, I found some. The fact is, I don't understand what the solutions involves. For example, in your hints: what do you mean by "Create missing folder and xml file"?
Read the edit in my previous post. I added a link that should answer your questions.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Read the edit in my previous post. I added a link that should answer your questions.
You might want to check that link, your clipboard may have done you in again,
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
proximus

I checked that link but I cannot understand the advice given there...I'm really a noob when it comes to these things and if somebody extremely kind and willing wrote me a step by step recipe to solve this problem I'd be very grateful.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I fixed the link in the previous post.

I have a lot of problems with cut and paste. I usually test my links after posting. I do not know how I missed that one.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I fixed the link in the previous post.

I have a lot of problems with cut and paste. I usually test my links after posting. I do not know how I missed that one.

Here it is again:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2222554
Old 09-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
proximus

Yeah well...I entered "Device Setting", clicked "Device info from xml file" (which was the only option that resembled more or less what you suggested) and then appeared the following "USB device exported. Copy the deviceSettingInfo.xml to the Kindle. Once you are done eject the USB device from the PC then.". I created a file named like that using Notepad (I didn't write anything in it) and copied it into the Kindle folder. I rebooted and nothing happened.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
Kalja
Kalja began at the beginning.

Just create an empty deviceSettingInfo.xml and copy it within the doc log folder - that might help
Kalja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #11
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalja View Post
Just create an empty deviceSettingInfo.xml and copy it within the doc log folder - that might help
That is not what I said to do at the linked post. Go read it.

What I said WILL work. Really. Do it...
Old 09-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #12
proximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
The "Device Setting" used to be the first test on the main menu. Find it and run it to create the missing file (like it says). That file is needed to disable diags.

EDIT: Alternatively, you can export USB from the diags menu, and create the missing "diagnostic_logs/device_info.xml" file on the shared USB drive from the host PC.
(Note: I have a K4 not K5. I'm sorry about that, I assumed that K5 meant something like "the last series of Kindle", not a precise model).

Yes, it's the first "test" (what exactly do you mean by test? To me it seems like a directory and nothing more) on the main menu. I found it. What do you mean by run it? There's nothing to run, there are only some options to click on, namely:

1) Set serial number
2) Set PCB ID
3) Set MAC address
4) Set Manufactoring Code
5) Display Serial Number Barcode
6) Device info from xml file
7) To reboot - FW LEFT
8) Exit - FW RIGHT

So now I can't use your first advice anymore since I do not know what you meant. Now to the second advice: I followed (my interpretation of) your instructions, i.e.: from the diags menu I selected the "USB Device mode". Then the Kindle appeared on my computer, I created (with Notepad) an empty file named "device_info.xml" and put it into the folder "diagnostic_logs". I rebooted and nothing changed.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
(Note: I have a K4 not K5. I'm sorry about that, I assumed that K5 meant something like "the last series of Kindle", not a precise model).
1) https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
2) https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180113
3) Be certain that your M$-Windows did not actually create a file with a *.txt extension. Set your machine to display filename extensions.
4) Notepad is not a good choice unless you have a version you can set to use LF line terminations rather than Windows line terminations.

Last edited by knc1; 09-16-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #14
proximus

1)-2) Now I am sure I have a Kindle 4, thank you!
3) I am certain that it is not a *.txt file. It is a .xml file, and under type it reads "XML document".
4) I haven't the lightest idea of what you just said. If it might help, I also have XEmacs as text editor. Maybe I should use it instead of Notepad?

EDIT: I just want it to be clear: I am not a developer, my Kindle didn't brick (I learned some jargon lurking around here) because I was trying to jailbreak it or something. It just happened and I really want this diagnostics to go away.

Last edited by proximus; 09-16-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
4) I haven't the lightest idea of what you just said. If it might help, I also have XEmacs as text editor. Maybe I should use it instead of Notepad?
Yes.
It should be possible to select the file line endings (which may not matter to xml, but its a good practice to use the file's target system line endings (Linux/Unix) in this case).
That editor will probably auto-detect the line endings used in the file and may offer to convert them for you.

That editor will most probably protect you from the system setting a filename of something.xml.txt when you meant something.xml

I have not used the M$-Windows version of XEmacs myself, but know of it on other systems.