Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-21-2010, 07:27 AM   #1
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
My EZ reader is dead Need a replacement

Ok, My EZ reader died, (I dropped it and the screen shattered) so I need a replacement.
What do you all suggest...and Why?
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I suggest first finding out from Astak what it would cost to replace the screen.

I still think that the EZ Reader's represent the best value for money, i.e. the right mix of features and price for a basic ebook reader. If you are looking for a "high end" ebook reader than for 6" I would also consider the Onyx Boox 60 (also sold as the BeBook Neo) and at 8" I would look at the iRex DR800SG. Both of these have a Wacom touch screen that does not reduce the clarity of the screen but requires a special pen for touch input. At 5" a good alternative would be the PocketBook 360, particularly since it has come down in price.

The big unknown is what the devices with SiPix screens will add to the mix. These include the Hanlin A6 and A9, which will presumably be sold as EZ Readers in the US. However, relying on the delivery dates of new screens and new readers has not historically been a practical strategy. They are almost always late.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I think I saw mention that Aztak is going to mention a really cool new reader soon (like in the next few days). Maybe you should wait to see what they roll out.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I think I saw mention that Aztak is going to mention a really cool new reader soon (like in the next few days). Maybe you should wait to see what they roll out.
I agree with you both, BUT I dunno if I can wait....Ifeel like I am missing an arm...or part of a hand or something at the moment..... Considering a Sony PRS 700...Compromise on contrast but with side-lighting...*Shrugs* Just can't seem to go back to P-Books....
Old 02-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaopanda View Post
I agree with you both, BUT I dunno if I can wait....Ifeel like I am missing an arm...or part of a hand or something at the moment..... Considering a Sony PRS 700...Compromise on contrast but with side-lighting...*Shrugs* Just can't seem to go back to P-Books....
Yeah good point. But why not just get another EZreader? Nothing wrong with the 700, except the contrast, which you seem good with.

I think I'd probably be itching to get a replacement too.
Advert
Old 02-24-2010, 03:55 AM   #6
Xiaopanda
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Yeah good point. But why not just get another EZreader? Nothing wrong with the 700, except the contrast, which you seem good with.

I think I'd probably be itching to get a replacement too.
The 700 simply has lighting, which is perfect as I really don't want to carry a mess of accessories around with my 'reader.....The EZ reader is great, and I love it too, but maybe the snob factor is winning out with the Sony....
Old 02-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaopanda View Post
The 700 simply has lighting, which is perfect as I really don't want to carry a mess of accessories around with my 'reader.....The EZ reader is great, and I love it too, but maybe the snob factor is winning out with the Sony....
Well, sounds like you should get the 700. The way I look at it, that feature isn't coming back anytime soon on ereaders and you might as well grab it when you can.