Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 08-29-2009, 06:59 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Post Austen, Jane: Northanger Abbey (Illustrated). v5. 22 Dec 2013

A fully illustrated version of Jane Austen's "Northanger Abbey", with 24 full-page watercolour illustrations by C.E.Brock.

"Northanger Abbey" is the story of the young and naive Catherine Morland and her venture into the complexities of adult social life. It takes a tongue-in-cheek view of a girl's ideas of romance and adventure formed by reading Gothic novels, and how, with a series of very entertaining episodes that result in anti-climaxes, Catherine realises that real life is different to fiction.

Illustrations are used, with thanks, from http://www.mollands.net and http://www.solitary-elegance.com. Both these web sites are great resources for all fans of Jane Austen!

Enjoy!

EDIT: 3 Mar 08

Recreated the book with improved layout and formatting. Uploaded v2.

EDIT: 3 Apr 08

MR user "dynabook" sent me a list of errata and helpful suggestions for stylistic improvements (eg systematically replacing "the general" by "the General", when referring to General Tilney). Fixed the errata and made the suggested improvements. Uploaded v3.

EDIT: 10 Aug 08

Replaced the cover with a greatly improved one. Thanks to Paul Durrant for this.

EDIT: 22 Dec 13

Thoroughly proofed and revised. Numerous errors and omissions restored. Added the "Biographical Note" written by Jane's brother, Henry, that appeared in the original posthumous publication of the book. I would now regard this as a finished work, so if you find any error, no matter how small, please let me know. Uploaded v5.

Previous downloads: 1188
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Northanger Abbey.epub (1.28 MB, 840 views)

Last edited by HarryT; 12-22-2013 at 07:56 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
elfwood
elfwood began at the beginning.

Device: none
Re: e-book uploads

I've just started browsing the titles recently added and I have a question. Why add books to this e-library that are already available at other sites such as Project Gutenberg? Seems like a real duplication of effort.

Elle
elfwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2009, 04:12 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
If you compare the formatting, you'll notice the difference.

Most uploaders here take the source text from sites like Project Gutenberg (PG), but those texts have usually very simple layout and formatting, and are not offered in all the ebook formats people may want (ePUB has only recently been an option at PG). Adding chapter breaks, hyperlinked table of contents, formatting poetry and letters, including illustrations, etc. are some of the things that make the ebooks here "better" than the PG sources.

Then comes the proofreading. PG texts have often dozens of OCR and typographical errors, missing diacritics, missing italics... By comparing the text with a printed edition of the book, or just by reading it carefully, most of these can be detected and corrected, which improves again the quality of the uploads hosted here.

Moreover, it is not a duplication of effort. We use the PG texts as a starting point and work from there. The effort already spent in creating the PG texts is greatly appreciated, and it's not lost, as it allows us to skip the scanning and OCR stages or to work on books we don't have access to.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:25 AM   #4
januaryman
Used DTBs & iPad User
januaryman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I've been here a while and never looked to DL an ebook. Your versions are just beautiful, HarryT! Thank you so much for the efforts. 2 questions: 1) Do you have a list of the ebook you have done? I'd like to look at all of them! 2) What do you use to edit the ebooks? Is there a simple program I can use to do things like fix spelling errors I find, add illustrations?
Keep up the good work!
januaryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thoroughly proofed and revised. Numerous errors and omissions restored. Added the "Biographical Note" written by Jane's brother, Henry, that appeared in the original posthumous publication of the book. I would now regard this as a finished work, so if you find any error, no matter how small, please let me know. Uploaded v5.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by januaryman View Post
I've been here a while and never looked to DL an ebook. Your versions are just beautiful, HarryT! Thank you so much for the efforts. 2 questions: 1) Do you have a list of the ebook you have done? I'd like to look at all of them! 2) What do you use to edit the ebooks? Is there a simple program I can use to do things like fix spelling errors I find, add illustrations?
Keep up the good work!
It is simple to search by poster just the eBook Uploads section and find all the books from any poster. The MobileRead advanced search capability is quite powerful. Note also the wiki page https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Nota..._at_MobileRead

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 12-22-2013 at 06:03 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote