Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2014, 02:48 AM   #1
peartree
Enthusiast
peartree began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Anybody else having reading time issues?

Lately I've noticed the reading time on my PW has gone a little wonky. It used to be scarily accurate, but now it'll suddenly underestimate the amount of time left, sometimes by a huge margin. It'll show "5 minutes left in chapter," for example, when it really takes 10 or 20. I'm familiar with the ;ReadingTimeReset function, which works pretty well, but I find myself having to do that several times per book. I can fix it each time but there seems to be some kind of larger issue that keeps throwing it off. Anyone else experiencing these issues and/or know of a fix?
peartree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:08 AM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
After all these years of reading with my kindles I have found that they are totally inacurate about the time left in a chapter or a book. One time the kindle read one minute left in chapter for the whole book and it would take me fifteen minutes to read what the kindle estimated to be one minute worth of reading. I never put too much stock in those estimates and I recommend that you do the same thing.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I never put too much stock in those estimates and I recommend that you do the same thing.
Sounds like good advice. Quite apart from any imperfections in the algorithm, there are always going to be factors that will affect your reading speed: a change in your environment; variations in your mood; or just the fact that the second half of the chapter is more, or less, interesting than the first.

Personally, I'd rather just get on with reading the book, and not worry about how long it's going to take.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #4
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I've never once paid any attention to the time left. As for it being inaccurate for years, I don't think it existed until I got the Paperwhite. When I first started reading on a Kindle I was irritated that there weren't page numbers but now I actually prefer location and just leave it set there. The location plus the percentage give me all the information I need.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:53 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I find the time remaining to be reasonably accurate on most books. On a few it doesn't work at all.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2014, 02:57 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I don't care about chapters at all. When I stop reading, I stop; then I start when I start again. Chapters are, after all, an artificial construct that may or may not have meaning within the whole book. I've seen chapters where it is just a change of scene, when other changes of scene don't seem to merit a new chapter, for example.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:46 PM   #7
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I agree, Susan. I rarely pay attention to chapters.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:18 PM   #8
peartree
Enthusiast
peartree began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
I get what you guys are saying about varying reading times depending on the situation, but even with that grain of salt it used to be very accurate. It would be nice if you could just calibrate it once globally, rather than having it constantly compute it. I always liked the reading time feature, because I have a weird OCD aversion to stopping in the middle of a chapter. Maybe I should just switch to page number though, if it's not going to cooperate...
peartree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:08 PM   #9
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Mine used to be pretty spot on. I only use the time left in book. But lately, its been stuck on 12 minutes left in book. All the way through.

I did a couple of reboots, but still the same. But them my PW1 is pretty moody since that huge cloud update.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:19 AM   #10
gdornick
Eager reader
gdornick began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle K3, PW1 & PW2, Nexus 5, iPad 2, Onyx Boox i86ML Plus
I have noticed exactly the same the last couple of weeks with my PW: estimated reading time is about 50% lower then real reading time.
I am not sure but I think I upgraded to the latest firmware about 2 months ago and since then the reading time is not correct anymore.

How does this ";ReadingTimeReset function" work?

Gaal.

Last edited by gdornick; 10-20-2014 at 09:23 AM.
gdornick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:24 PM   #11
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdornick View Post
I have noticed exactly the same the last couple of weeks with my PW: estimated reading time is about 50% lower then real reading time.
I am not sure but I think I upgraded to the latest firmware about 2 months ago and since then the reading time is not correct anymore.

How does this ";ReadingTimeReset function" work?

Gaal.
Here's the thread where the Reading Time Reset is discussed as it applies to the PW:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=194368

All you need to do is do a search within the book you need to reset the reading time. Search for ';ReadingTimeRest"--with the ; in front. It'll turn up no results, but when you go back to reading it should show "learning reading speed".
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #12
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Chapters are artificial, sure, but so are punctuation, sentences and paragraphs. Chapters provide useful places to stop reading. Not all books use chapters, but when chapters aren't used, there often are chapter-like breaks.

I had a Paperwhite, but I lost it, so now I'm back on a K3. I never found the time remaining to be at all useful or accurate.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote