Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #46
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Hmm, interesting ...

Because all my iPad information is basically apps. Books are usually a few MBs, but those are Kindle books.

If that's the case, then I guess is not too bad. I wonder if I should do the same with my Mac Book air or not.

I just logged into my iCloud account and was able to locate my iPad2 via GPS/Google. Of course, it's at home, but kind of creepy. It was very, very accurate, similar to a Google app. I have on my Android cellphone.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #47
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
-Can I combine or go back to iTunes method?
-What if I go beyond 5GB?
-What's the frequency for those backups
Don't know that much about iTunes. To me, iTunes is the place I go to when I need free apps.

see above

Don't know, because iCloud Backup keeps failing on me every time I turn it on.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #48
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I just logged into my iCloud account and was able to locate my iPad2 via GPS/Google. Of course, it's at home, but kind of creepy. It was very, very accurate, similar to a Google app. I have on my Android cellphone.
Big Apple Brother is watching you
Old 10-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #49
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It will get stable, trust me. Bunch of people using the service now. My upgrade took 2.5 hrs last night and went smoothly.

I'm interested on iCloud mainly because my ebooks and apps, that's it. See my other post on your different thread about how I keep my music collection safe and sync. A hint: Samba and Amazon prime.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #50
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I did a reset (soft reset I think it's called, where you press the two buttons until the picture of the apple comes on) and I now do have the Messages icon. I don't know what happened before but it's OK now.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #51
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
Is anyone planning to upgrade their idevice to iOS5 over the next couple of days? I'm typically a "wait at least a few days to see what breaks" kind of person, but I'm very interested to hear how it goes for those of you bold enough to install the earliest version.
Installed it on my iphone 4 this morning. It took about an hour, start to finish.

The phone seems a little faster in some apps.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #52
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Not a very good start for Tim Cook. First, there was the lackluster and disappointing launch of pretty much nothing at last week's Apple event and now this botched roll out of iOS 5 / iCloud.

Maybe next time he'll have his ducks in a row.
I suggest a recount.

From what I read, the iPhone 4S is selling faster than any previous iPhone, & half of the current 4 users plan to upgrade. I didn't think I'd upgrade myself, because I figure that with Apple, the best strategy is to skip every other hardware upgrade. But I must say that Siri plus a better camera has my attention. I will be ugrading my number 4 son's 3G for Christmas. I suggested to my wife that she upgrade her 3GS, but she concluded that the GS feels better to hold than the 4S. So she'll hang on in hopes of a better designed 5. Whatever "teardrop" shape means... Maybe Apple should give some thought to sex-specific designs!

As for the rollout of iOS 5 & the Cloud, I don't have any sense that it's running into any more problems than one might reasonably expect based on past experience. It kinda looks to me like they just underestimated demand.

I see that Apple stock is up $45 since the rollout over 10%. It has recovered from the drop that occurred just after the rollout & Steve's death.

I think that we've had an iPad rollout experience - an initial <shrug> followed by gradual realization that Apple got it right, after all.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #53
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
I actually surprised at the people who complained about the 4S. Given the upgrades: dual-core processor, Siri, better camera, adding 32GB/64GB sizes, and an upgraded OS, Apple could have changed the shape slightly, slapped an iPhone 5 label on it, and everyone would be happy. But since they kept the body and just added an S to the name, parts of the apple community are in a tizzy.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #54
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
I actually surprised at the people who complained about the 4S. Given the upgrades: dual-core processor, Siri, better camera, adding 32GB/64GB sizes, and an upgraded OS, Apple could have changed the shape slightly, slapped an iPhone 5 label on it, and everyone would be happy. But since they kept the body and just added an S to the name, parts of the apple community are in a tizzy.
That's what I was thinking. My conclusion is that Apple has taken a marketing perspective - the new body design was saved for the next upgrade, which might not have that much more to recommend it. But we are talking about a company that convinced buyers that the color of of a device is hugely important.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:19 PM   #55
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I can see that it's not unusual. Wouldn't it be refreshing if they actually planned ahead for a change?
But then they'd have servers which are over-built for most of the year's traffic.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #56
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
But then they'd have servers which are over-built for most of the year's traffic.
So they're incapable of rolling it out incrementally?
Old 10-14-2011, 11:40 PM   #57
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
So they're incapable of rolling it out incrementally?
Rolling it out incrementally is easier, at least technically. However, can you imagine the outcry and support calls from folk who can't install the update right away?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:46 AM   #58
sehlat
Enthusiast
sehlat began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone Marvin, Marvin 3
Great upgrade, until I tried Stanza...

Is there ANY way to revert to 4? I'm about ready to scream.
sehlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:12 AM   #59
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehlat View Post
Is there ANY way to revert to 4? I'm about ready to scream.
Technically speaking, you can, via DFU (Device Firmware Update) but I would not recommend you that. You will be on your own, because downgrades are not supported by Apple.

I would stick with iOS 5 and not ruin your whole device only because Stanza. Be patient. Others apps are having minor issues too so it's a matter of time, maybe a few weeks, for Stanza devs to address that issue and release a new version.

Sorry to heard you like it so much, but I think you failed in checking with other users prior saying Yes to an upgrade.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #60
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
I would stick with iOS 5 and not ruin your whole device only because Stanza. Be patient. Others apps are having minor issues too so it's a matter of time, maybe a few weeks, for Stanza devs to address that issue and release a new version.
Hah, Stanza devs. I think the last developer who remained at Lexcycle/Stanza left Amazon a few months back.

I'm really hoping Amazon would renege and continue updating Stanza (even if they don't add features and just do it for compatibility). It's amazing that even now, years after its initial release, no ebook reader app on iOS has so far been able to come to the same level as Stanza in terms of customization and support for very large libraries. I just checked and I apparently have 2,700 ebooks in my Stanza library. Imagine trying to organize that in iBooks.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote