Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Hackers crack Amazon's Kindle DRM....

Does anyone know more about this?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12...kindle_hacked/
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 4, iPhone 4
And the countdown before Amazon cracks down on this begins:

HaggisMacJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Amazon seemed to think that it was the perfect DRM from what I read on the net....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaggisMacJedi View Post
And the countdown before Amazon cracks down on this begins:

hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
David Derrico
Connoisseur
David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Derrico ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 & Kobo Wireless
Even as an author, I have to say that DRM does more harm than good. It annoys legitimate customers more than it prevents piracy. And, honestly, if someone steals a copy of my eBook, no skin off my back, I hope they enjoy the thing and maybe tell a friend.

Plus, what normally happens is that pirates can crack it anyway, so now it's just annoying legitimate customers and locking them to a particular device. Meh.
David Derrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:55 PM   #5
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Check out this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...highlight=k4pc

This is only for the Kindle for PC. I don't believe this is for topaz.
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 10:56 PM   #6
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Interesting.

Anyone used it? How long does it take?
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:29 AM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
The article is incorrect the kindle DRM has been cracked for some time, since they use the same DRM as MobiPocket. What Labba and cabbage did was extract the PID from your Kindle for PC since the PID is needed to liberate a kindle book.

However the kindle has two formats Mobi and topaz. It is topaz DRM that remains to he cracked. When I first saw this post I thought somebody really made news.

Last edited by =X=; 12-23-2009 at 01:31 PM. Reason: fixed spelling
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:27 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Interesting.

Anyone used it? How long does it take?
I have never done this before. This doesn't extract the PID since the Kindle for PC uses a "per-book session key for the actual en/decryption."

I was able to install Kindle for PC, purchase a book from Amazon, install Python, save the scripts in the proper directory, remove the drm, place the resulting .mobi file in Calibre, convert the .mobi file to epub and have it on my reader in about 30 minutes. Now that everything is set up, from purchase to reader in just a few minutes.

The actual script took less then a minute to execute.

This doesn't work for topaz books. You can tell before you buy by downloading the sample chapter. All the files download with a .prc extension, but when the script is run on the topaz sample the result will be an error telling you it is topaz.

I think Amazon may get a little more of my business now.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-23-2009 at 06:44 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:31 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
However the kindle has two formats Mobi and topaz. It is topaz DRM that remains to he cracked. When I first saw thisla post I thought somebody reallynmade news.
This is big news (to me). It means that even though I don't own a Kindle or an iPhone I can purchase books from Amazon and convert the books for use on my reader.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-23-2009 at 03:36 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:54 AM   #10
sergiodongala
Connoisseur
sergiodongala doesn't littersergiodongala doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
This is big news (to me). It means that even though I don't own a Kindle or an iPhone I can purchase books from Amazon and convert the books for use on my reader.
Well good news for me too, know I can buy some books in amazon.
sergiodongala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:24 AM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I Love Cabbages.

And yes it works well from all reports.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...950#post700950
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:43 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiodongala View Post
Well good news for me too, know I can buy some books in amazon.
Just make sure if you buy a book that it isn't in the topaz format.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:01 AM   #13
sibelhodge
Enthusiast
sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Here is another story about it from BBC news: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8428126.stm
sibelhodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:30 AM   #14
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I thought this was kind of funny, since I've known how to strip the Kindle's DRM for about 2 years now. Not exactly breaking news (no offense to the OP intended).
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:40 AM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I thought this was kind of funny, since I've known how to strip the Kindle's DRM for about 2 years now. Not exactly breaking news (no offense to the OP intended).
True, but it changed with the Kindle4PC.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote