Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-19-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
sakoni2001
sakoni2001 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-300
Managing Collection using Calibre

Hi

Sorry, I am a novice to the book readers, therefore, could do with assistance.

I would like to create a list of authors in collection, so that all books can be uploaded under the relevant authors.

Any suggestions how I could go about doing this.

Many thanks in advance.
sakoni2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:45 AM   #2
IvoSenden
Reading is no multitask
IvoSenden doesn't litterIvoSenden doesn't litterIvoSenden doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakoni2001 View Post
I would like to create a list of authors in collection, so that all books can be uploaded under the relevant authors.
Well, first thing you want to do is download Calibre. It's free, and much better than the original Sony Reader software.
Next, you should be aware of the fact that your Sony reader is capable of sorting all books by author, so in my humble opinion there shouldn't be a need to make your own author sorting by collections. But if you want to do so, it's best to drag your ebooks on your PC to the library screen from Calibre. There, you can enter or rename 'tags'. Those will be recognized by your Sony reader as collections.
When you change your ebooks like this, Calibre will create new subfolders on your PC, having the same name as the 'author' field of your ebooks. Please note that when you delete books out of your Calibre library (which I prefer to do after modifying or uploading them) these subfolders will be deleted as well, so if you want to save the modified books with the new tags, copy them from the new subfolders to a folder where you like to store your ebooks, before cleaning up your Calibre library.

Personally, I just use the author sort function on my Sony readers. As for collections, I've created collections by genre, like 'Adventure English', 'Thriller Dutch', 'Science Fiction English', 'Biography Dutch', etc. by naming the tags from my ebooks like that in Calibre. I've made these same subfolders by genre on my harddrive and copied the books into those, so I can always find them very easily and I never have to fiddle around in my library to get them into the right collection on my Sony readers.
IvoSenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 07:33 AM   #3
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoSenden View Post
Personally, I just use the author sort function on my Sony readers. As for collections, I've created collections by genre, like 'Adventure English', 'Thriller Dutch', 'Science Fiction English', 'Biography Dutch', etc.
Is there any way to sort the books, (for example by title), within a collection? My collections seem to be ordered simply by the date that the books were sent by calibre.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
You need to force the reader to resort your metadata. The first time you send books to the reader, it will sort based on author first name (sony's fault) and then every time after, it just adds the new books metadata to the end of the old metadata. So, if you want all your books sorted by last name and in order, you need to refresh this metadata and choose the author sort last name in calibre. The best way to get the most succinct answer is to ask this question in the calibre forum since I can't remember how to walk you through this process off the top of my head.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:02 AM   #5
sakoni2001
sakoni2001 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoSenden View Post
Well, first thing you want to do is download Calibre. It's free, and much better than the original Sony Reader software.
Next, you should be aware of the fact that your Sony reader is capable of sorting all books by author, so in my humble opinion there shouldn't be a need to make your own author sorting by collections. But if you want to do so, it's best to drag your ebooks on your PC to the library screen from Calibre. There, you can enter or rename 'tags'. Those will be recognized by your Sony reader as collections.
When you change your ebooks like this, Calibre will create new subfolders on your PC, having the same name as the 'author' field of your ebooks. Please note that when you delete books out of your Calibre library (which I prefer to do after modifying or uploading them) these subfolders will be deleted as well, so if you want to save the modified books with the new tags, copy them from the new subfolders to a folder where you like to store your ebooks, before cleaning up your Calibre library.

Personally, I just use the author sort function on my Sony readers. As for collections, I've created collections by genre, like 'Adventure English', 'Thriller Dutch', 'Science Fiction English', 'Biography Dutch', etc. by naming the tags from my ebooks like that in Calibre. I've made these same subfolders by genre on my harddrive and copied the books into those, so I can always find them very easily and I never have to fiddle around in my library to get them into the right collection on my Sony readers.
Thank you for your help.

Regards
sakoni2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
Is there any way to sort the books, (for example by title), within a collection? My collections seem to be ordered simply by the date that the books were sent by calibre.
Update! I was mistaken. Calibre is already sorting my books by title within each collection. Sorry if this caused any confusion.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote