Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-15-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
rossh
rossh began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader Pro
Unhappy Save a copy of your old firmware if upgrading!

@all,

I downloaded and installed the new firmware release (dated 3/12/2010), and it seems to have re-introduced two of the nasty problems I had with the original firmware that shipped with my EZ Reader - i.e. extremely short battery life (I got less than a day with the new firmware on a fully charged unit) and also lots of missed key presses.

The previous firmware release (dated 12/10/2009) solved both these issues - I was routinely getting several weeks or a month without ever having to turn the unit off, and very rarely had a missed key press.

I'm recharging the unit now, and will give the new firmware one more chance - but I'm very glad I saved a copy of the previous firmware since I expect I will be reverting to it tomorrow. I recommend others grab a copy of the previous version in case it disappears from the www.astak.com site (I notice it's not listed on www.theezreader.com).

Ross.

P.S. I never got to the bottom of the original power problem (since it was solved) but I recall reading somewhere in these forums that it may have been due to the unit failing to power down the SD card correctly - if this is the case, this issue may not affect people without an SD card installed.
rossh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossh View Post
@all,

Ross.

P.S. I never got to the bottom of the original power problem (since it was solved) but I recall reading somewhere in these forums that it may have been due to the unit failing to power down the SD card correctly - if this is the case, this issue may not affect people without an SD card installed.
Only use an SD card (almost always)
Been on the same battery charge since Fridays upgrade...4 Bars still, many EPUB chapters
Key-presses do get lost from time to time. No pattern I have determined (Green LED is out, so not busy.)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
@all,

I downloaded and installed the new firmware release (dated 3/12/2010), and it seems to have re-introduced two of the nasty problems I had with the original firmware that shipped with my EZ Reader - i.e. extremely short battery life (I got less than a day with the new firmware on a fully charged unit) and also lots of missed key presses.
I thought I noticed the keypress problem myself, but I wasn't sure? The benefits far outweigh those two things, though. And I don't believe I have had the battery issues.
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:59 AM   #4
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I'm also experiencing the battery issue again since the new firmware update. I was previously charging my PP about once every two weeks I've already had to charge it twice in the last three days!

I've not noticed the "lost keypress" issue but then I got into the habit of always pressing firmly to overcome the issue in the first place.
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:39 AM   #5
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnementh View Post
I'm also experiencing the battery issue again since the new firmware update.
Still 4 bars, and my PP has never been turned off since the first day the update was available.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Still 4 bars, and my PP has never been turned off since the first day the update was available.
I've just had to put it on charge again

The only difference between now and before the firmware upgrade is I'm currently reading .mobi rather than .epub though I can't see how that would cause such a huge reduction in battery life!

It's not a major issue as I only really use it at home so I'm always in reach of a power socket but it is a little bit frustrating having to charge nearly every day... it's becoming just like my iphone lol
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:00 PM   #7
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
My battery is still on 4 bars too. How can this only effect some readers?
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:06 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wonder if it is format related. Maybe the factory is trying something to work on the idle lockup problem that some formats have.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:10 AM   #9
rossh
rossh began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader Pro
Good though about the battery problems maybe being format related - I was using the PDF reader every time it flattened the battery (but then this is the format I use most often, so it may be just coincidence.

The probelm could also be SD card related - I have a 16Gb SDHC card.

Ross.
rossh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:24 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Good though about the battery problems maybe being format related - I was using the PDF reader every time it flattened the battery (but then this is the format I use most often, so it may be just coincidence.

The probelm could also be SD card related - I have a 16Gb SDHC card.

Ross.
I am using a 4G card (class 6) and EPUB, still 4 bars.