Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
notsure
Zealot
notsure has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350
Ignoring MS Office Smart Tags during convert?

I've got a huge html document which contains MS Office Smart Tags. i.e.

<st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">University Place</st1:address></st1:Street>

When Calibre converts this to epub the formatting goes a little wonky (University Place would appear on it's own line or something similar).

Is there a way to get Calibre to ignore these tags all together?

Thanks!
notsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
If you have MSWord, you could try the following :-

1. Open the HTML file with Word.

2. Then File Save-As type WebPage-Filtered.

This should give you a new HTML file without the MS smart tags.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 08:22 PM   #3
notsure
Zealot

Thanks.

I've only got linux available (and no Word).

I could write a regex and use sed to strip them out but since the files are passed to me already in a zip file, I bring them in directly to Calibre and convert to epub.

I guess I'm kinda hoping that Calibre can handle this on it's own. Maybe I'm just being too lazy!
Old 12-15-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can put regexps into the remove header and footer options to remove whatever you like.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:01 PM   #5
notsure
Zealot

Figured it out, works great!

Last edited by notsure; 12-15-2009 at 10:41 PM. Reason: d'oh!
Advert