Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 03:09 PM   #121
Old Serg
Old Serg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
I have the "last page" hack. Where do I find the timeout hack? Thanks.
You can find it at the page #7, post #100
Old 10-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #122
Old Serg
Old Serg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=100
Advert
Old 10-28-2009, 09:58 AM   #123
Keithd
Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505
Dumb question time.
In the file in the link provided, the README says, "Copy update_screensaver-timeout_install.bin to the root of the mass storage Kindle partition."

However, there is NO update_screensaver-timeout_install.bin. There is update_screensaver-timeout.bin and update_screensaver-timeout-k2.bin -- I *assume* I need to put update_screensaver-timeout.bin in the root of the DX folder, then apply the update, but I get paranoid when instructions don't match what's there.

And just to make sure - is this working with the latest 2.1.1 firmware?

Thanks all!
Old 10-29-2009, 09:26 AM   #124
Keithd
Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505
Nevermind....

I got USB networking running here.
Telnetted in, edited /etc/powerd.conf, and now it's good to go.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:51 AM   #125
tsatryan
tsatryan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I was just now able to apply the screensaver timeout hack on my DX. The patch listed in post 100 works. But, the directions are a bit incomplete, so I will attempt to list here exactly what I did so that others may succeed. I did this on a MacBook Pro.

1 - download the patch, named "screensaver-timeout-0-1.1.tar.gz" and save it to your desktop for easy access
2 - double click the file, which will expand it into a folder named "screensaver-timeout-0-1.1"
3 - connect your Kindle DX to your MacBook with the USB cable. Then open the Kindle drive. You will see the root, which should contain four folders - audible, documents, music, and system
4 - copy the following files from the "screensaver-timeout-0-1.1" folder on your desktop into the root of your Kindle (note - do NOT put them in any of the four folders listed above) - install.sh, kindle_update_tool.py, Makefile, screensaver-timeout, and update_screensaver-timeout.bin
5 - eject the Kindle drive from your MacBook
6 - On your Kindle, go to the home page (shows all your books) and then press the Menu button. Scroll to the Settings, and select it with the joystick.
7 - While on your Settings page (this is the page that shows your Registration, etc) press the menu button again, and then select "Update Your Kindle"

Let the Kindle update - don't touch it! When it is done, it should say that it successfully updated.

8 - Connect the Kindle to your MacBook again, and you will see a log file there, which if you open it, it will tell you that the timeout was changed to 3600.

9 - You can safely delete all of the files in the root of your Kindle. Just don't delete the four folders that were originally there!

Hopefully these detailed steps will assist others in defeating the ridiculously short screensaver timeout.
Advert
Old 11-23-2009, 10:34 PM   #126
Jim2991
Jim2991 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX and Kindle 2
I have a question about #125.

I have a DX that I have aviation terminal charts loaded. I use them for flying instrument approaches to airports.

I want the Kindle to time out with the page that is currently open and not go to the preloaded author pictures.

When the chart it open, it may take 15+ minutes to fly the procedure. I need to page ahead and previous page to keep the chart I am using open. It does not take a long time for it to re-open but it is a bit too long to be good.

Does the mod listed above keep the current page that is open - open??

Sorry for the dumb question but I am not all that used to makeing changes to devices. I tend to run them how they came out of the box.

Thanks.

Jim
Old 11-24-2009, 05:36 PM   #127
Aeromot
Aeromot began at the beginning.

The new update v. 2.3 just downloaded from Amazon (if you had the wireless on and let it go to sleep), increases the time before sleep to 20 minutes, as well as other improvements. Since I also use mine for aviation charts, this s a significant improvement. If I just remember to hit the space bar once during an approach, it won't go to sleep. (I get my plates from www.NACOmatic.com.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200324680

Quote:
Kindle DX
- Better cropping of PDF files: In landscape orientation, white margins of PDF documents are automatically cropped to maximize the amount of content shown on the screen.
- Option to convert PDF files to Kindle format. If you prefer to have your personal PDF documents converted to the Kindle format (so that they can reflow), type "Convert" in the subject of the e-mail when you submit your personal document to your @kindle.com address.
- View pages longer: We've extended the time before Kindle DX switches into screensaver mode — from 5 minutes to 20 minutes — giving you more time for reviewing your content.
Other Kindles get somewhat different upgrades (see the Amazon link above), but they now can read PDFs. I guess if you eyes are good enough, you could try to read approach plates on one of them. The new software is v. 2.3 for all models. To find out what version you have, go to Menu, select Settings and it's at the bottom of the page.

Last edited by Aeromot; 11-25-2009 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:03 PM   #128
Jim2991

[QUOTE=Aeromot;667919]The new update v. 2.3 just downloaded from Amazon (if you had the wireless on and let it go to sleep), increases the time before sleep to 20 minutes, as well as other improvements. Since I also use mine for aviation charts, this s a significant improvement. If I just remember to hit the space bar once during an approach, it won't go to sleep. (I get my plates from www.NACOmatic.com.)

Thanks for that! Yep 20 minutes is much better, I can live with that. And the space bar tip is good to remember, better than my page ahead and back..

Here is where I get my terminal charts - www.pdfplates.com

Thanks for the tip.

Jim

Last edited by Jim2991; 11-26-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:36 PM   #129
Rancho210
Rancho210 began at the beginning.

Jim2991 and Aeromot (from Rancho210),

Using Kindle DX for IFR flying is great. Canceled my Jepps! Also, www.pdfplates.com has a nice download program to ease the task of downloading multiple IFR approach plate files.

The Screensaver timeout hack in Post #100 (Page 7) works well (1 hour wait time!). Use the "original" script. The one marked _K2 doesn't seem to work.

If anyone hears from ebs (or others) about how to install the "last viewed screen becomes screensaver!" hack for a more recent Kindle DX (see above posts!), please let us know. I'm hoping a new hack can be generated for our Kindle DX's that works. Would be a great feature.

Standing by...

Rancho210
Old 11-26-2009, 09:12 PM   #130
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Has the last page hack been updated to work with 2.3????
Old 11-27-2009, 11:13 AM   #131
Jim2991

I have been a Jeppesen customer for ever it seems. I had the first JeppView software and as they "advanced" it the more I hated it. I had a renewal on my desk of $750 and that tipped me over to the DX and pdfplates.com. I saved money and I think it is a better tool. I have a K2 and love it and the DX is for charts only.

The "last page" I guess is what I am really after.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:36 AM   #132
savanik
savanik began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
*kerbump*

Just got a Kindle2 for Christmas, running the 2.3 bios. Really like the PDF support! Really need longer than the 20 minute timeout. I use the thing heavily for reference. Have not been able to find any version of this update that will work on the 2.3 update. It's exactly what I need.

I do know a bit about C, C++, Unix hackery and would be willing to take a crack at it if someone can direct me towards where the source files are.

-- Sav
Old 01-20-2010, 05:42 PM   #133
SalvaG
Enthusiast
SalvaG is on a distinguished road

try to make a new package:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63225

but maybe it's not feasible, as with the last-page screensaver hack:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=63
Old 01-23-2010, 01:48 AM   #134
savanik
savanik began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvaG View Post
try to make a new package:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63225

but maybe it's not feasible, as with the last-page screensaver hack:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=63
Yeah, I saw those - that's why I was looking at doing the new binary diff. But in order to do something like that, I'm going to need more than a python script for repackaging old updates.

I was hoping I could get pointed at some threads with tools for making the binary diffs in the first place. Wasn't able to find those on my own.

Sav
Old 02-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #135
bdserv
bdserv began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsatryan View Post
I was just now able to apply the screensaver timeout hack on my DX. The patch listed in post 100 works. But, the directions are a bit incomplete, so I will attempt to list here exactly what I did so that others may succeed. I did this on a MacBook Pro.
I just purchased a DX with firmware rev 2.3 and I was unable to get this hack to load.

After loading the files into the root directory, the selection "Update Your Kindle" is still grayed out. At first I thought that this was because I had disabled the wireless, but it stayed grayed out even after I re-enabled the wireless.

So, I selected "Restart" and it did attempt to update - however the update failed with error code "0003".

Any idea what is going on here?
Closed Thread