Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 07-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
borisb
Edge User

The eDGe on BestBuy!

(retracted)

Last edited by borisb; 08-15-2010 at 06:26 PM.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
StevenP
Edge User

Excellent! Now I'll need to write a review for it on their web site.

Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 11:15 PM   #3
summatusmentis
Edge User

This is good to hear, I might be able to convince myself it's worth the cost if I can play with it

Old 07-13-2010, 04:43 AM   #4
NiaTrue
Edge User

I'll have to write a review as well.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:58 AM   #5
Gunnerp245
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
The eDGe is now available at Best Buy USA.
Coming soon? Is what the site says.

Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
Snow
Edge User

Quote:
When I originally checked, it said "ships in 1-2 weeks", but a few hours later it went to "Coming Soon".

It also says it's "online only" (at the moment), so you won't be able to test one out in the store yet. That's certainly an eventual possibility, but enTourage will really have to ramp up production to get units out to every store - and don't forget all the college book/computer shops that will be offering them this Fall.
We are also not on the floors of the stores yet because of negotiations of where exactly should we be placed in the store? This question has humored me, what do you guys think? Next to netbooks, or next to e-readers (but all the e-readers are 200-300$ cheaper if not more)? Or by the phones since we run Android? Perhaps we should be by the tvs? (I'm not poking fun, I'm just enjoying the unique specs of our product)

Old 07-13-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
kenjennings
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow View Post
We are also not on the floors of the stores yet because of negotiations of where exactly should we be placed in the store? This question has humored me, what do you guys think? Next to netbooks, or next to e-readers (but all the e-readers are 200-300$ cheaper if not more)? Or by the phones since we run Android? Perhaps we should be by the tvs? (I'm not poking fun, I'm just enjoying the unique specs of our product)
Right in front of the entrance doors in a display large enough to hide the display for yet-another-ridiculous Guitar Hero accessory.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:09 PM   #8
sarah11918
Edge User

Super interesting question, Snow!

My gut says not the netbooks. I just think if someone were thinking of a netbook, they probably wouldn't choose an edge instead. Plus, while price may be more comparable, a light netbook might have the appearance of running faster and offering more programs that people are familiar with, so I just don't see a typical prospective netbook customer being so blown away by the eDGe that they choose one instead. I could be totally wrong, but that's just my initial reaction.

E-readers do make sense: this is simply a luxury model. And, while the netbook market is typically people looking for something cheaper than a full computer, an e-reader is an add-on device that many will have in addition to or separate from a computer, so you might be able to win over those who are willing to pay more for the most fully decked-out e-reader. I understand the concern of placing this item near others that retail for much less, but at least it's obvious that this is an e-reader with a lot more to it. Most e-readers aren't that flashy because e-ink (right now) is more functional than funky, so you at least can position yourself as "better" than the competition spec-wise, and some people will be willing to pay for that.

I know personally I picked up an eDGe because I'm into tablet PCs, and the cost was a no-brainer when I compared it to a $2K machine. The tablet PC aisle probably doesn't get a lot of action, though. But, if you want to go reverse-cost-psychology, it's 25% the price of a new tablet PC but yet might have enough features that tablet-cravers may be satisfied with.

Can you have product in separate locations simultaneously?

Old 07-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #9
sarah11918
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjennings View Post
Right in front of the entrance doors in a display large enough to hide the display for yet-another-ridiculous Guitar Hero accessory.

A special back to school display, perhaps? (Though I don't even want to think about how much that promotional space costs...)

Old 07-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #10
aidren
Edge User

I tend to agree with Sarah. I think, even given the price difference, most consumers these days have a tendency (been trained?) to be more responsive to upselling rather than downgrading.

And because it is such a different beast, I think a point of purchase display would be a very good idea, if only for an introduction period ($$$$). Maybe Entourage could include some sort of giveaway contest asking consumers where they think it should be displayed.... it would encourage them to have a better look.

Once they're in Canada, Entourage can send me some empty boxes and I could down to my local Best Buy and place them strategically... on the the Apple table?... next to the iPad???

Old 07-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #11
aidren
Edge User

Quote:
EDIT: You can also supply the store with a mockup box or signage in the one section encouraging them to investigate the actual eDGe stocked in the other section.
That's a good idea...

Old 07-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #12
Eddy R
Edge User

Quote:
Indeed! I would, too, but I don't have a US address in order to create a BestBuy account on the site.
You write it. I'll post it. (as many would many)..Without edit or comment.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:26 AM   #13
Gunnerp245
Edge User

The local best buy has the nook, but it is on the back of the rack where it can not be seen unless one is really looking for it.

Last edited by Gunnerp245; 07-14-2010 at 05:28 AM. Reason: typo

Old 07-14-2010, 10:48 PM   #14
skapsal
Edge User

When I was shopping, I was shopping for a large screen eReader. With the edge I got an android netbook for free for about the same price as the large kindle. A lot of people are shopping for eReaders now and in the coming year.

Plus 1 vote for - with the eReaders.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:31 PM   #15
Steed
Edge User

Personally I think placing it right inside the front door to begin with is a great idea. It gets immediate exposure (the Sony eReaders were place there when Best Buy first started selling them). As for the permanent sales location, I think it should be placed right next to the iPads by the netbook section. This way it provides the iPad gazers a direct and better alternative to Apple's large iPod Touch as well as the netbooks. Many of the people who stop by to look check out the iPads are looking for a combination device and that is what Apple advertises. They key in on reader potential of the iPad as well as the apps. Having the EE right next to it and by the the netbooks provides EE with the exposure to both sales audiences, ereader and netbook not to mention to those looking for a combination device like the Edge and so-described iPad.