Notices

Old 05-16-2009, 06:16 AM   #1
Momo_Germany
Connoisseur
Momo_Germany began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 (great!!) +DX, Sony PRS-505,-700,-600 (dislike!), iPad
Question Question concerning notes-function

Hi everybody!

A friend of mine (living in Germany as myself) is thinking about maybe ordering a Sony PRS-700 in the USA, as she would love to have an ebook-reader but she needs the function to make notes on books.

The question now is: how about those notes? Do you feel it's quite comfortable to use this function or not? And - more importantly: is it possible to save those notes on the Computer too? This means: is there a function to copy them somehow to the Computer and save them (and how are they saved then?) or are they saved exclusively on the PRS-700-device and if this device might crash or might be replaced once, the notes would disappear? (Interesting question for myself too, not only for my friend.)

As the device isn't available in Europe so far we can't try it out somewhere and I also don't find the user's manual online to check this point out.

Thank you and greetings from Germany,
Momo
Momo_Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo_Germany View Post
As the device isn't available in Europe so far we can't try it out somewhere and I also don't find the user's manual online to check this point out.
Hi Momo

The user manual should be available at this --> Sony eSupport site, unless they can somehow block access geographically.

I use notes on my PRS-700, and find it quite comfortable doing so with the virtual keyboard, while reading but haven't moved any back to my PC. I think I saw a thread about syncing with your PC that gives you access to your notes on your PC, but no way to print them out. (I'll have to do some digging to find this reference)

Hope this is of help,

WetDogEared (WDE).

*edit*
You can also display/edit/add notes directly from the eBook Library.

From the manual on syncing notes under heading "Synchronizing Content with Reader":
Quote:
To merge Notes of the Reader and eBook Library when synchronizing
You can set to merge the Notes of the Reader and eBook Library when synchronizing. The merging feature is activated by default.

1. Click "Preferences" on the "Edit" menu.
The "Preferences" dialog box appears.

2. Check "Merge all notes when syncing with PRS device."
* Note
  • If you uncheck "Merge all notes when syncing with PRS device," the Notes will not be merged.

3. Click "OK."
The "Preferences" dialog box is closed.

Hint
  • When merging the Notes, highlights can be overlapped except when the highlights cover the same range completely. In this case, the comments of both highlights are saved.

Notes
  • When merging the Notes, if any inconsistent Notes are created for the same word, the older Notes will be replaced with the latest Notes.
  • If an overlapped Note is hidden completely under the other Note, you cannot edit the hidden Note. To edit the hidden Note, delete the Note that is covering it.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 05-16-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
Momo_Germany
Connoisseur
Momo_Germany began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 (great!!) +DX, Sony PRS-505,-700,-600 (dislike!), iPad
WOW! Thank you so much, Wetdogeared, you helped us a lot! Very good to know that and how it works!

Thank you, Momo
Momo_Germany is offline   Reply With Quote