Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-16-2014, 02:08 PM   #1
Red_Breast
Red_Breast began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
another ssh problem thread?

I have the same problem as the linked thread ... I think.

http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...d.php?t=216627

I started with trying to set this up in diagnostic mode first. Had no luck so I tried the usbNetwork method. Still no joy.

I noticed NiLuje's knc1's and replies. I mention that as in the wiki, which seems to be a tutorial for diagnostics modes, settings for the host IP and the kindle IP are the following

HOST_IP=192.168.15.201
KINDLE_IP=192.168.15.244

Well I've just plucked and pasted those from my config file after I tried ~usbNetwork mode. I copied it from my kindle to my PC after entering ~usbNetwork a second time to disable it, so that I could access the kindle's storage.

So from what I've gathered so far the usbNetwork IPs are the same as the diagnostic mode USB IPs?

I'm using my Debian PC to do this. I do have a Windows 8.1 PC (for some old games) as well which I tried doing it on but I can't work out how to do the wiki's step 5 (below) on Windows. I have sorted the driver out for it though.

5.) Setup your new network interface: IP 192.168.15.201 Subnet 255.255.255.0

I was using the tutorial on Jennifer's 365 (link below) which was easy to understand until I got to "Set the IP address on your computer to the address defined under "HOST_IP" in the config file. Subnet should be 255.255.255.0. Everything else can be blank."

http://www.shatteredhaven.com/2012/1...work-hack.html

I've been using PCs since 1981 and GNU/Linux mostly for the last 10 years. I've softmodded stuff like game consoles (Xbox, Wii) and I'm good at following instructions but when it comes to network stuff I might as well be back in 1981 - I've never been able to get my head around most of it. Changing my router's password and setting up firewall rules is about as far as it goes.

At the start I said "I think". Reason being is I'm expecting some feedback from Putty but I see nothing. Just an empty shell. Like you can see in the screenshot. I do get some sort of feedback from the shell don't I? I can't type into it.

I tried with Debian's Remote Desktop Viewer and got the same.

[Image violates guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

The screenshot above also shows the panel's network icon saying it's requesting a wired network address for Wired connection 1. So I'm sure that the command "ifconfig usb0 192.168.15.201" has worked. Under Devices > Network Tools I selected Unknown Interface (usb0) and then Configure (to the right) and up popped a second box showing Wired connection 1.

Any help appreciated please. Spent about 8 hours on this last night and a couple today and don't want to spend much more time on it.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-16-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Red_Breast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
This should be in the developers' board, I think. An admin might move it? Anyway, you're probably facing a conflict between NetworkManager and your manual ifconfig command. I would suggest using NetworkManager for setting the static IP for now. That's a bit awkward in the long term, since the Kindle presents itself as a new device each time (due to changing MAC address), but it should give you a first successful connect.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2014, 03:37 PM   #3
Red_Breast

Thanks for the reply hawhill - what you've suggested might be a bit beyond me. I'm not sure.

I wasn't sure which forum it should go in.

When I make a longish thread I type it up in a txt file first. I made the following before seeing your reply.

I just tried again in diagnostic usb mode.

I think my silver 4NT does have the usb diagnostic mode. Number 4 in the wiki has the following:
usb networking: Misc individual diagnostics -> Utilities -> Enable USBnet -> Exit

I do all but Exit, so:
usb networking: Misc individual diagnostics -> Utilities -> Enable USBnet

For which I get a screen which is basically divided into 3 sections. The top section includes stuff like ipAddress and netMask. The second section has Press X to continue and PASS whilst the other section has (X) Exit - FW Right to exit*

If I do Exit after Enable USBnet I'm taken back to Enable USBnet

*Afraid to look a fool but does this mean I can use either FW Right or just select the middle button in the FWay to achieve the same result?, that is to Exit.

I seem to be getting the same thing though. Under Unknown Interface (usb0) when I select configure I see there's now another entry - "Auto Ethernet".

Here's a similar screenshot to above but this is in diagnostic usb mode. Putty gives me the same result as well - just empty apart from the cursor and it's not possible to type into.

usb networking: Misc individual diagnostics -> Utilities -> Enable USBnet -> Exit.

By the way - can I just use Gnome's terminal to ssh? If so how do I do that? I know I have openssh-client on my Debian box. What command do I use to start it in the terminal?

Thanks again for looking.

If this doesn't work I might as well remove the jailbreak. I did burn a CD-R with Kubrick before starting all this but is there a de-jailbreaker rather than a de-bricker?
Old 09-16-2014, 04:14 PM   #4
Red_Breast

I gave the static ip a try hawhill.

The method I used.

Editing Network Connections. That's what it's called in Gnome Classic.

Under IPv4 from Automatic DHCP to Manual and entering the ip and netmask. I got Putty with a login request, which, as root worked, and entered the mario password which failed.

Then i tried to use the online password calculator but found I couldn't get to any website in Firefox. Just my modem/router. I set IPv4 back to Automatic DHCP which seems to of solved the problem.

Seems quite an awkward method but doable I guess. Just got to get my password now.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-16-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
Red_Breast

Apologies regarding the images.
I'm getting results from Putty with framework/mario but not with root/mario and other suggestions with the online calculator, which gives mario and different results for the 2nd and 3rd password options every time I try it which I'm struggling to get my head around.

I'll explore and see if I can find another solution so I can login with root.
Advert
Old 09-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #6
Red_Breast

after something like 15 hours - ssh

I used kindle tool for the password.

Well I think I'm done, although at the moment I have to reboot the PC when I change back from static IP to Automatic DHCP. Wouldn't mind a more elegant solution although having a second computer (the Win8.1 PC) helps.