Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #31
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
It is only ground breaking and trend setting if other people follow it. No one did, hence not ground breaking or trending.

bgalbrecht: I get that it worked for you and others and you bought the Nook for it but it did not lead to the sale of books for BN. So they sold a device but did not get follow on business and it is the follow on business that makes them money. So they made some people happy who were not going to spend money at their store. How did that help them?

The devices are not making them money, the sale of the books are.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:56 PM   #32
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAcheson View Post

In the end, though, the Kindles beat the Nook fairly soundly. I'm guessing that Amazon's reputation and ecosystem and marketing was what put them over. That and the fact that the Nooks that followed the Nook Color were fairly underwhelming hardware-wise.
Amazon launched the appstore first, got it established, and then launched the hardware. When Fire came out it already had far more available apps than the Nook appstore ever mustered and a lot of Android phone owners were already vested in the Amazon appstore.

Amazon acted like a content vendor, B&N as a hardware vendor.
(And not a terribly competent one.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #33
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
bgalbrecht: I get that it worked for you and others and you bought the Nook for it but it did not lead to the sale of books for BN. So they sold a device but did not get follow on business and it is the follow on business that makes them money. So they made some people happy who were not going to spend money at their store. How did that help them?

The devices are not making them money, the sale of the books are.
I understand that. What I'm saying is that while the people who bought the nook because of the sd card reader may not buy as many ebooks from them as someone who doesn't use the sd card reader, we wouldn't be buying any ebooks from them at all because of their DRM that prevents us from reading their books on our readers. I've bought hundreds of books from them (albeit mostly daily deals) that I would never have bought if they hadn't included the sd card readers and I had bought Sony or Kobo instead.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:08 PM   #34
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Amazon launched the appstore first, got it established, and then launched the hardware. When Fire came out it already had far more available apps than the Nook appstore ever mustered and a lot of Android phone owners were already vested in the Amazon appstore.

Amazon also promoted their appstore heavily with the free app of the day so it had a huge following and a large number of apps before they had the hardware.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:33 AM   #35
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
It is only ground breaking and trend setting if other people follow it. No one did, hence not ground breaking or trending.
Oh, come on, you can't be both
1) Just following the market, pl,aying catch-up.
and
2) Cocking up in new and innovative ways.

Ground breaking is not the same as successful.

MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2014, 02:15 PM   #36
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

I also saw a whole lot more Kindle Fire ads on TV than I ever saw for the Nook.

Honestly, if someone were to ask me what a "Nook Color" is, at this point I would describe it as "equivalent to the Kindle Fire," because they probably know what that is.
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:09 AM   #37
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAcheson View Post
I also saw a whole lot more Kindle Fire ads on TV than I ever saw for the Nook.
That's the thing with Amazon and their almost-monopoly. They have the money to "buy" continued success: constant freebies, below-cost offers, ads, commercials, partnerships, buying out sites, taking over local or national stores, and so forth. A company has to try very hard to be unsuccessful (like Sony) once a certain market share and revenue flow is achieved.

I'm not saying that various of Amazon's competitors are blessed with an abundance of economical cleverness (look at Kobo's store interface, for example), and there is a lot of mismanagement, but it's much easier to remain successful if you have the funds, an established customer base, and wiggle room for mistakes and failures. And above all, you have more time once you're in a dominant position, which also allows for experiments and innovation.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:54 AM   #38
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've just noticed that LiquaVista (an Amazon subsidiary) are currently hiring.

Good news for Amazon, I think. Bad news (as if they needed more) for B&N.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote