Notices

Old 11-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
karolymettler
karolymettler began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Basic New
Problem with Turkish (ğ and ı) characters

Hi!

First post here, welcome everyone!

I've just bought a Pocketbook Basic New and I'd like to read some Turkish stuff on it. These files are in UTF-8 format and display perfectly on my PC. When I upload the txt files on my device, it display ş, ç right, but all of the ğ and ı display as g and i.
I tried to set other encodings on the device such as ISO 8859-9 or win-1254 without success. So I can see ş and ç all right but not ğ and ı.

And I want to learn Turkish with these books so it's really confusing and I need the exact characters.

I don't really understand how come half of the Turkish characters are ok, half of them not and I'm not sure what the problem is.

Any suggestion, advice?

I'd appreciate it, thanks.
karolymettler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
preempalver
Connoisseur
preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: PocketBook pro 603 (Leggo IBS fw PB 2.1.3)
Hi.
Perhaps the font provided with Basic New doesn't have complete coverage of glyphs for turkish language. Search and donwload other truetype fonts, for example here: http://www.turkishlingua.com/turkish-fonts.html.
Then it should be possible to choose somehow the downloaded font for use with epub files.
preempalver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #3
karolymettler
karolymettler began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Basic New
Hi preempalver and thanks for the tip.

I've downloaded the Turkish fonts and copied into the fonts folder.

Then I set the new font as default but my problem remained unfortunately.

Any other idea?
karolymettler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
preempalver
Connoisseur
preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: PocketBook pro 603 (Leggo IBS fw PB 2.1.3)
Quote:
but all of the ğ and ı display as g and i.
As a second thought, what you are signalling here could be also the result of a defective epub conversion.
Let's suppose that the original source of the ebook was a book digitized with a scanner and converted in editable format via an Optical Character Recognition program.
Then it's quite possible that ğ and ı were mistaken as g and i during the process, a typical issue of OCR conversion caused by multiple factors.
An epub editor like Sigil could help in substituting wrong occurrences with right characters.

EDIT:
I'm deeply sorry, I need to sleep. You said you're using a txt file. May I ask if you can provide me a link to the file, I'd wish to try it on my PB603. Or attaching just a partial file here?

Last edited by preempalver; 11-11-2012 at 12:09 PM.
preempalver is offline   Reply With Quote