Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-10-2011, 07:00 AM   #61
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
oh oh, i just posted here yesterday, and a few hours later i was buying ebooks!
I'm sorry for your lapse. But remember — just because you've fallen off the wagon once, it doesn't mean you should stop trying.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:07 AM   #62
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It has now been four days since I last bought an ebook. I'm grateful for the support of other members of this thread.

Helpful reminders culled from this thread to help you stay purchase-free:
  • There'll be another Fictionwise sale along later
  • Add to your Wishlists instead of buying
  • New releases will drop in price when the paperback comes out — and you won't get around to reading the book before then anyway.
  • Ebook prices are unlikely to rise
  • Free ebooks don't count
Advert
Old 06-10-2011, 07:17 AM   #63
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
[*]Free ebooks don't count[/LIST]
Oh they do count, we you have so many it crashes your Kindle

Seriously though, I find adding things to ereaderiq price watch helps, because then I convince myself that I really am going to wait till the price drops
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:21 AM   #64
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
well, i don't buy at fictionwise. i buy exclusively from amazon using the money i get from mechanical turk. the only time i get from other stores is when there's a freebie

hmm...and it seems like many of the books i want don't have a digital format yet. i hope they get digitized soon ):
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:36 AM   #65
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

...oh my...while casually browsing through possible reads, stumbled on a mystery series where most books' kindle edition is $0.99 only o_o
Advert
Old 06-10-2011, 09:48 AM   #66
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
It has now been four days since I last bought an ebook. I'm grateful for the support of other members of this thread.

Helpful reminders culled from this thread to help you stay purchase-free:
  • There'll be another Fictionwise sale along later
  • Add to your Wishlists instead of buying
  • New releases will drop in price when the paperback comes out — and you won't get around to reading the book before then anyway.
  • Ebook prices are unlikely to rise
  • Free ebooks don't count
That middle one is SO true and does help my impulses.

A question for everyone -- although feeding my addiction probably isn't a good thing, but...

I keep hearing about these Fictionwise coupons. I'd never used their site before, but 60% is 60% so I made an account there last night, and... I find their site incredibly hard to navigate. Is it just me? Does it get better? I couldn't even really determine if they are indie-only or if they carry mainstream stuff -- I couldn't find any of my usual mainstream searches, but maybe I was Doin It Rong.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #67
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I keep hearing about these Fictionwise coupons. I'd never used their site before, but 60% is 60% so I made an account there last night, and... I find their site incredibly hard to navigate. Is it just me? Does it get better? I couldn't even really determine if they are indie-only or if they carry mainstream stuff -- I couldn't find any of my usual mainstream searches, but maybe I was Doin It Rong.
Fictionwise used to carry everything. But the Agency model now used by the big publishers can't work with their system of club membership and discounts, so now it pretty much only has independent publishers. There's some good stuff on there still, e.g. Ethshar series by Lawrence Watt-Evans, but not as much as there used to be.

Their website is a little bit old-fashioned now.

But you don't really want to buy any ebooks just now, do you? Wait until you've finished the ones you've already bought!
Old 06-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #68
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I can be a pain, but they carry at least a little of everything, both indie and mainstream. (Whether any of it is anything you want is subjective, of course.) I've been using them for years, and through a few site changes, so I guess I'm used to it. (I'm also getting used to the fact that sometimes whole lines of books get culled from the site, usually right before I'm going to buy it.)

One good thing is that you can filter your results by format, so if you just want DRM-free multi-format, you can set it to only show those.

You may have noticed that the books have tags in the description area - I sometimes find it more fruitful to tag-hop than to use their genre browsing.

The ratings are almost useless, in my opinion.

I guess it's just a matter of whether you can tolerate the site long enough to find something there. Sorry, guess that wasn't very helpful.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #69
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I guess it's just a matter of whether you can tolerate the site long enough to find something there. Sorry, guess that wasn't very helpful.
I actually find the Fictionwise website to be the easiest for finding ebooks. It's the most organized ebook retailer I've had the pleasure of buying from. The site isn't much to look at but in terms of useability, I like it the most.

Just a thought, do ereader purchases count here? I just bought a Nook Color from Overstock 10 minutes ago and in the past 30 days, I've also bought an iPod Touch 4G 32GB from Amazon (nighttime reading), a PRS-350PC from Borders (home use) and a PRS-350SC from B&N (purse)...

Last edited by ilovejedd; 06-10-2011 at 10:37 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #70
wyndslash
Wizard

mmm i'm tempted to snatch up some more $0.99 ebooks at amazon, as i never know until when those price cuts will last. still...*sigh*...maybe just one?
Old 06-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #71
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
This is the tactic I've been taking too. And then Fictionwise did do a 60% off coupon. I was doing really well this year up until then!
My problem is when I go to Fictionwise for one of the big sales, I tell myself that I am only going to buy 1 or maybe 2 books. Twenty - thirty books later, I force myself to checkout. I am so weak!!!

jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:10 AM   #72
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Hello, my name is Pooh.
And I have fallen. Again.
I bought an ebook today [damn that Deals, Freebies Forum]
It was only $2.39.
I didn't need it.
I never heard of the author.
But I bought it.

But ... I can stop anytime I want to ...

Obviously I don't want to ..... yet
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #73
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Just a thought, do ereader purchases count here? I just bought a Nook Color from Overstock 10 minutes ago and in the past 30 days, I've also bought an iPod Touch 4G 32GB from Amazon (nighttime reading), a PRS-350PC from Borders (home use) and a PRS-350SC from B&N (purse)...
In your case, yes, ereader purchases count. I ordered a Pandigital from DailySteals last week, but that's because the Literati (which my roommate uses) is behaving badly and I know it's only a matter of time before it stops working.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #74
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I bought an ebook today [damn that Deals, Freebies Forum]
It was only $2.39.
I didn't need it.
I never heard of the author.
But I bought it.
Oh dear, you do have a very serious addiction. Perhaps it would help to consider that even low-price deals are likely to come around again.

As penance, you must put this newly purchased book at the very top of your TBR pile. Read it once you've finished your current ebook.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:12 PM   #75
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Oh dear, you do have a very serious addiction. Perhaps it would help to consider that even low-price deals are likely to come around again.

As penance, you must put this newly purchased book at the very top of your TBR pile. Read it once you've finished your current ebook.
Will do.

[Will doing this qualify me to buy another ebook now?]
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote