Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #31
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Hi.

My name is Ana. I've been an eReader for almost a year now. I currently own 4 eReaders... and a smart phone... and have promised Husband I won't buy any more this year. Especially not the new Kobo, with its tempting badges and shiny awards. Even if it would motivate me to read more and blog less. I will be strong.

I have 1,008 "books" in my Calibre library, but some of them are PDF files of my favorite online comics and blogs that don't currently exist in "real" ebook form. I don't know if those books are better or worse from an addiction standpoint because while it doesn't cost money to compile them, it does take me days of work. This is why I send emails to authors begging them to compile stuff for me so I can just buy their work at whatever price they want.

Anyway, ahem, I have 902 books that still need to be read and reviewed in my library. I've read some of them in the past, but long enough ago that I really need to read them again before I can write a good review.

I also have, um. We're all friends here, right? I have something like 1,500 dead tree books in my library. My goal is to read them all, narrow them down to the ones I simply cannot live without, and buy those in eBook form. The idea is to be entirely dead-tree-free in a few years. The problem with this plan is that I don't actually like reading dead tree books anymore, so I try to find my paperbooks at the eLibrary and rent them before decided whether or not to buy a replacement or just donate to Half Price. This habit makes me feel unutterably silly.

My goal is to remove one book a week from my dead tree library. I'm trying not to buy new eBooks in the meantime. If I *must* read something new, it's supposed to come from the library first, to make sure I really really really want to own it.

FREE BOOKS DON'T COUNT. CHEAP BOOKS FROM INDIE AUTHORS DON'T COUNT EITHER. THAT'S SUPPORTING STRUGGLING ARTISTS AND CHARITY AND STUFF.

I don't know why I'm shouting. I do that sometimes. I'm sorry.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #32
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Hi, my name is ILJ and I haven't bought an ebook in exactly 2 weeks. My last purchase before that was in January 2011.

I have over 200 purchased ebooks. I've finished reading around 80% of them, the remaining 20% weren't worth reading. I averaged 15~20 books a month at the height of my addiction. I have since cut back drastically on ebook purchases but since the purchase of my iPad, the "savings" appear to be getting redirected towards digital comics purchases. (Assuming that also counts as an ebook, then my last purchase was this Monday, June 6: 5 books.)

I also have 2,000+ fanfics converted to ePub via FLAG (surprisingly, all of which I've read except for the badly written ones).

There's also a number of classics in my TBR pile which I don't know when I'll get to.

I sleep around 2~5 hours a day and occasionally go without sleep if the book I'm reading is compelling enough.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 06-09-2011 at 03:30 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #33
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I sleep around 2~5 hours a day and occasionally go without sleep if the book I'm reading is compelling enough.
*envious*

I can't imagine what I would do with all that extra time!
Old 06-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #34
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I can't imagine what I would do with all that extra time!
Don't be. After a while, the lack of sleep usually manifests in a major migraine with extreme sensitivity to light and noise, and leaves me unable to function for the whole day.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #35
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Don't be. After a while, the lack of sleep usually manifests in a major migraine with extreme sensitivity to light and noise, and leaves me unable to function for the whole day.
Oh, dear, that sounds quite awful.
Advert
Old 06-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #36
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
oh oh, i just posted here yesterday, and a few hours later i was buying ebooks!
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:27 PM   #37
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
Read them! Read them quickly and they won't "count"! Your total balance will remain in equilibrium.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #38
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
If it will make you feel better, I will confess that I got six free books on Feedbooks and my $100 B&N ebook gift card just arrived in the mail and is staring at me.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #39
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If it will make you feel better, I will confess that I got six free books on Feedbooks and my $100 B&N ebook gift card just arrived in the mail and is staring at me.
you can get a lot of books with $100 so when are you going to spend it? and i love feedbooks too

@ATD: I can't i still have some books that i borrowed that have already expired and i still haven't finished theeeem. gah. this is why i haven't turned on Sam's (my k3) wifi yet.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #40
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
If the temptation is too much to handle, I'd be happy to watch that gift card for you until the urge passes...
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:56 PM   #41
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

BACK! BACK I SAY! IT'S MINE!!

I'll probably spend it all tonight. The worst thing about those nice Wishlists that B&N/Amazon/etc. let you maintain is that by the time you get a gift card, it's already spent.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:59 PM   #42
wyndslash
Wizard

i almost spent $100 on romance titles when i first got my ereader. they were a bit hefty at $5.39 and a little below. but i stopped spending once i started borrowing and i feel a bit regretful about it now. still, i do tend to re-read so it might not be all that bad
Old 06-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #43
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
BACK! BACK I SAY! IT'S MINE!!

I'll probably spend it all tonight. The worst thing about those nice Wishlists that B&N/Amazon/etc. let you maintain is that by the time you get a gift card, it's already spent.
Oh crap. We just started this group and we already need our first intervention...

Ana, sweetie, you know we all just want what's best for you, right?

Okay, I'm not the right person for this, because if I got that gift card in the mail today it would already be spent. Who am I kidding? Have a ball, dear, and try not to clog the interwebz with your mass of downloads tonight.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #44
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
i almost spent $100 on romance titles when i first got my ereader. they were a bit hefty at $5.39 and a little below. but i stopped spending once i started borrowing and i feel a bit regretful about it now. still, i do tend to re-read so it might not be all that bad
Yeah, I have a couple of new releases that I wish I'd gotten at the library. I hadn't yet discovered the Free Library of Philadelphia.

Once you buy an ebook, it's yours forever. *sigh* I wish there was a legal way to sell/give them away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Oh crap. We just started this group and we already need our first intervention...

Ana, sweetie, you know we all just want what's best for you, right?

Okay, I'm not the right person for this, because if I got that gift card in the mail today it would already be spent. Who am I kidding? Have a ball, dear, and try not to clog the interwebz with your mass of downloads tonight.
Haha, thank you. At least I can say I bought the gift card last week.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:03 PM   #45
wyndslash
Wizard

thank goodness most of my wishlist is agency 6 books, which i won't be getting until they reduce their prices :P

@amara: oh, i borrowed from a private group in GR. i don't think libraries carry a lot of m/m romances and don't you need to convert them to mobi before reading on the kindle? i've always doubted that. i mean, what's to stop someone from just keeping a copy after they converted? o.o or is there a script in the lending that prevents that?