Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Fake Virus Alerts

(Please move if I've put this in the wrong board)

I was browsing the net yesterday, looking for pic.s of hairstyles as I'm having a re-style on thursday, and my pc started going crazy, but not in the manner my normal anti-virus software does when it's not happy.

A pop-up box told me that AVG (which I don't use) had found "suspicious activity on my computer"!! and would take action. "No you won't" thinks me. When I got rid of the pop up, I was shown an image of "my" computer (like the bit you'd see if you click on 'my computer') with lots of red flashing numbers indicating the number of infected agents in each part.

I was suspicious because a) I don't use AVG and b)my instinct as a long time pc user set off bs alarms.

I rang my friendly techie, and while chatting about the issue, pop-up boxes giving me the option to save or cancel insistently popped up. I kept clicking cancel.....and got another one. I was distracted by the conversation and accidentally clicked "save" and looked at my desktop to see if there was anything new. I had a logo which looked like the AVG one but was called 'Avmast'. I thought the spelling interesting. so looked at its properties: an exe file made by someone called drweb. I deleted it from both the desktop and the recycle bin, then ran a virus scan, which was clear.

I could have thumped my techie friend when, after the event he told me the key shortcut for closing down pop-ups

Thought I should let others know. I'm sure you're all savvy enough not to run the program, but virus alerts are scarey.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
That kind of drive-by web malware is pretty common these days, and there's no real defense. If you see it again, do a system restore to a point you know is previous to getting it. That almost always gets rid of it. If it doesn't, you have a serious problem (I ran in to one that was sophisticated enough to kill most AV programs, block access to Microsoft Update and AV web sites, and deleted all old restore points. That involved reinstalled Windows.)
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
[QUOTE=BookCat;1410551
I could have thumped my techie friend when, after the event he told me the key shortcut for closing down pop-ups

Thought I should let others know. I'm sure you're all savvy enough not to run the program, but virus alerts are scarey. [/QUOTE]

Obviously, I'm not. What is the shortcut?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Obviously, I'm not. What is the shortcut?
Probably Alt+F4, the shortcut for closing IE windows
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
I got the Avira AV virus a few days ago that almost completely shut down my computer. I used my Kindle to look up how to manually remove the virus. Started the computer in safe made, deleted the instructed registry keys, changed a few settings in my web browser, and then my antivirus program was able to remove the virus.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
(Please move if I've put this in the wrong board)

I was browsing the net yesterday, looking for pic.s of hairstyles as I'm having a re-style on thursday, and my pc started going crazy, but not in the manner my normal anti-virus software does when it's not happy.

A pop-up box told me that AVG (which I don't use) had found "suspicious activity on my computer"!! and would take action. "No you won't" thinks me. When I got rid of the pop up, I was shown an image of "my" computer (like the bit you'd see if you click on 'my computer') with lots of red flashing numbers indicating the number of infected agents in each part.

I was suspicious because a) I don't use AVG and b)my instinct as a long time pc user set off bs alarms.

I rang my friendly techie, and while chatting about the issue, pop-up boxes giving me the option to save or cancel insistently popped up. I kept clicking cancel.....and got another one. I was distracted by the conversation and accidentally clicked "save" and looked at my desktop to see if there was anything new. I had a logo which looked like the AVG one but was called 'Avmast'. I thought the spelling interesting. so looked at its properties: an exe file made by someone called drweb. I deleted it from both the desktop and the recycle bin, then ran a virus scan, which was clear.

Thought I should let others know. I'm sure you're all savvy enough not to run the program, but virus alerts are scarey.
I can sympathize 100%, you were right, obviously, in being suspicious. The other big give away is the blinking flashing lights and numbers and warnings of impending doom.

I see those at work all the time, often enough that have a disk created specifically for it that has Malware bytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org/) and, for the really stuborn ones, combo-fix (http://www.combofix.org/) on it.

As your first line of defense, run malware bytes repeatedly until it comes back clean. If that does not solve it, I've not met one yet that combofix could not take care. Note that you may have to run them in safe mode since some of the malware will detect it when you run these, and other, recovery tools and virus scanners.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Because Windows is so commonly used (if for no other reason), it's vulnerable. For safer browsing, try Linux. It's much more friendly these days, and Linux Mint is great for non-nerds. You can set up your computer to run Linux AND Windows, choosing which operating system to use when you start up. You can also run Windows software under Linux using something called WINE. What's more, Linux software is Open Source, which means it's free to download.

Linux, like Unix, is built from the ground up with security in mind. It's great! I no longer use Windows at all -- I don't trust it, and I certainly don't like the way it gradually gets slower and slower until you have to do a complete reinstall.
Richard Herley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #8
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I HATE those guys! They really should be drug out into the street and beaten like dogs. If I had a dollar for every elderly friend and relative of mine who thought they had a virus, which in reality was one of the scams... well, I could quit my day job.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:34 PM   #9
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
What gets me is that after all these years, people just go along with the idea that this is fairly much "the norm"...

Our whole family has switched away from Windows and it's now a lot less trauma.

That said - I agree, those deceptive alert system people really should be taken out and put through the wringer!

Paul
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #10
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Unlike all you radicals, I believe in tradition. My family has always used Windows, and it will continue to use...system crash
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:49 PM   #11
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I never click anything inside those pop-up boxes. If necessary I use the task manager to shut down Firefox.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:21 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
Unlike all you radicals, I believe in tradition. My family has always used Windows, and it will continue to use...system crash
If your systems crash, you have a problem. I've not had a crash in Windows for at least the last 5 or 6 years. Crashes are generally caused by either hardware issues or flaky device drivers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:32 AM   #13
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Aaah, but poorly applied non applicable non relevant historic facts make for the best jokes... just like "There's no software for linux" or "You can only use the command line in linux" or "HP-UX rots your brains".

.... wait, there might be some truth on the last one.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #14
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
The one he told me is: ctrl-alt-delete to bring up the task manager and close down programs. I don't use IE but Firefox.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:19 AM   #15
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
The one he told me is: ctrl-alt-delete to bring up the task manager and close down programs. I don't use IE but Firefox.
unfortunately task manager doesn't seem to have enough muscle to close down really serious viruses
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fake, virus alerts