Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
USB Drive Mode

I have ejected my Kindle (most recent software update) from my PC (Win7) and yet it still seems to think it is in USB Drive Mode. Windows Explorer does not 'see' it. No files are currently being put on the device. Is it safe just to unplug?
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
It should be fine to unplug.

You have to eject the Kindle by right clicking on the Kindle drive in the Computer explorer window if you're using Vista or 7. If you use the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media icon in the notification are then it does what you're describing. Its the other way around if you're using XP. Amazon mention it in the manual.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post

You have to eject the Kindle by right clicking on the Kindle drive in the Computer explorer window if you're using Vista or 7.
That's what I did... but the Kindle seemed to think it was still in USB mode.

Ah well... unplugging did the trick. Thanks!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #4
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
It should be fine to unplug.

You have to eject the Kindle by right clicking on the Kindle drive in the Computer explorer window if you're using Vista or 7. If you use the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media icon in the notification are then it does what you're describing. Its the other way around if you're using XP. Amazon mention it in the manual.
Wow. So that is why I couldn't read while my kindle was charging! I was afraid something was wrong. Thanks!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #5
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
That's what I did... but the Kindle seemed to think it was still in USB mode.
Huh. Odd. Just chalk it up to phase of the moon or something

It should be safe to unplug if Windows/OSX thinks it is ejected as nothing is writing to the drive at that point.
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 12:22 AM   #6
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
I have Win7 x64 and I've discovered:

If I eject my Kindle via Calibre then the Kindle icon is removed from My Computer but the device itself still says it's in USB Mode.

If I eject the Kindle from the system tray or from My Computer, then Calibre doesn't detect that my Kindle was ejected (until I unplug it) but the device comes out of USB Mode while I still have it plugged in.
chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I generally try to use the "safely remove" from the tasktray - especially since the behavior of EJECT (under Explorer) varies from version to version of Windows - that is it works differently in xp and vista and 7 and I have all of those on the different computers/laptops/work/home computers that I use.

And sometimes I get the message "something is using that drive" type messages and NOTHING is open that shows any drive is in use - obviously the OS may still be accessing it in some way. Usually, if I wait and come back it clears but sometimes it remains and I'm not sure whether to just pull the usb and hope for the best or wait it out.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #8
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I generally try to use the "safely remove" from the tasktray - especially since the behavior of EJECT (under Explorer) varies from version to version of Windows - that is it works differently in xp and vista and 7 and I have all of those on the different computers/laptops/work/home computers that I use.
Yeah. If you just want to unplug the Kindle then it doesn't really matter either way you do it. Its only important if you want to actually read whilst its plugged into a computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
And sometimes I get the message "something is using that drive" type messages and NOTHING is open that shows any drive is in use - obviously the OS may still be accessing it in some way. Usually, if I wait and come back it clears but sometimes it remains and I'm not sure whether to just pull the usb and hope for the best or wait it out.
Explorer sometimes keeps it open because of plugins that aren't 100% well behaved. Stuff like video codecs or file plugins trying to do the preview on files. Killing explorer and then letting it restart should fix it but its safer to just restart.