Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-28-2010, 12:48 AM   #1
Chrysanthemum
Enthusiast
Chrysanthemum began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2,
RTF to Epub, " changed to g

I recently converted an RTF file that I made in OpenOffice to and EPub in Calibre. The trouble is every time there is a start quotation mark at the beginning of a paragraph, it is converted as the lowercase letter g.

"Bonjour, m'amie, you're late" becomes:
gBonjour, m'amie, you're late"

Any suggestions for fixing this?
Attached Files
File Type: epub Remember - Potterfan2008.epub (617.5 KB, 162 views)
File Type: rtf Remember selection.rtf (45.9 KB, 151 views)
Chrysanthemum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:36 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysanthemum View Post
I recently converted an RTF file that I made in OpenOffice to and EPub in Calibre. The trouble is every time there is a start quotation mark at the beginning of a paragraph, it is converted as the lowercase letter g.

"Bonjour, m'amie, you're late" becomes:
gBonjour, m'amie, you're late"

Any suggestions for fixing this?
I tried opening this in Wordpad then saving it. The conversion on that file said it had something not supported by calibre and to save it as html. So I opened it in Word then saved as web (filtered) and added the htm to calibre. This file converted clean, see attached.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Remember - Potterfan2008.epub (97.0 KB, 139 views)

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-28-2010 at 01:38 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 07:31 AM   #3
Chrysanthemum
Enthusiast

I have a Mac, and for some reason my machine cannot even open the file you fixed. But I tried opening my file in Word and saving it as an html as you did. Now every place the author had used an accent mark above a French name, the letter was changed to an Asian character of some sort.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Remeber Chpt 1 Selection - Unknown.epub (97.0 KB, 189 views)
Old 09-28-2010, 07:42 AM   #4
Chrysanthemum
Enthusiast

Oh I fixed it. I don't have Wordpad, but the comparable program for a Mac is Textedit. So I thought I'd try doing what you did. It turns out this was the only program I had that opened the file in rtf as a clean file, no errors. So I save it from there as an rtf, loaded that into Calibre and converted it, and it converted fine.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysanthemum View Post
Oh I fixed it. I don't have Wordpad, but the comparable program for a Mac is Textedit. So I thought I'd try doing what you did. It turns out this was the only program I had that opened the file in rtf as a clean file, no errors. So I save it from there as an rtf, loaded that into Calibre and converted it, and it converted fine.
I'm glad you got it working.

In the future since you created it in OpenOffice you can try this extension (the creator is developing it in this thread) to save it directly as a epub or save it as html from Openoffice and then convert with calibre.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
Chrysanthemum
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I'm glad you got it working.

In the future since you created it in OpenOffice you can try this extension (the creator is developing it in this thread) to save it directly as a epub or save it as html from Openoffice and then convert with calibre.

Good Luck.
Wow, that's great. I tried that and the epub from Oo maintained all my formatting. Thanks for the tip. I also noticed after I added it to Calibre that the file size was smaller.