Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-20-2010, 11:41 AM   #1
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
Argh...dropped my 505...

Ah well I dropped my 505 and the on/off button popped off. There is no way I can put it back on. I can still use it...using a push pin in the slot lol to turn it on. This is also a replacement, extended warranty, for the original which developed the nasty top right corner problem. This replacement is a "refurb"...it had the original owners family photos, books, etc. on it when I received it.

I use it only for reading novels. No magazines, papers, etc. and am quite comfortable using Calibre/Adobe Digital Editions to reformat, etc.

I'm considering replacing it with the 300. It is relatively inexpensive and meets all my needs as a carry along, daily use reader. I do not need the extra memory and actually quite like the smaller size and lighter weight.

I am asking those of you that own the 300 for your likes/dislikes knowing my needs, etc from the above.
BB has it on sale for $179, which is less than I paid for the 505 though I'd have to spend a bit more for the cover.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts,
Kai

Last edited by Kai Winters; 02-20-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Sorry about your 505, but it sounds like it still works.....

If you want to read books, then the 300 is great. No mp3's, family photo's, WIFI, 3G, touch screen....etc. But, it's a great book reader, and that is why I got mine. Had mine for 2 months now, and do not regret the purchase.

The screen is as crisp and clear as any reader out there, and better than many. The small size makes it handy, and gets taken lots of places because of it. Good build quality and pleasing industrial appearance as well. My wife picked up the pink one, and takes it everywhere.

As far as downsides, PDF's (tech docs not books) don't seem to do so great on it. I don't use them myself, but if you do that could be an issue. Of course I recommend a wall charger, as USB is just not consistently reliable as a power source. I came from PDA's so the 5" screen seemed huge to me, but may take a bit of getting used to for you. If you get one be sure to convert to ePub in Calibre with the PRS-300 chosen as the output style. I do that with a 2 pixel margin. You can also adjust the base font in Calibre if you need larger text.

Both of ours were bought at Best Buy, and we have had zero problems. I would recommend getting one at Best Buy and trying it out. You have two weeks where you can return it for a full refund, so there is really nothing to loose. I often do this on an electronic gadget purchase so I can see if the product is really right for me....

My wife and I have the standard Sony covers (Best Buy has them as well) and they work fine. My wife also has a couple of cloth covers that slip over the Sony covers she got on line.... She likes to switch them out depending on where she goes and her outfit.

Anyway, hope you work something out.... good luck!
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
nefferbea
nefferbea is faster than slow light.nefferbea is faster than slow light.nefferbea is faster than slow light.nefferbea is faster than slow light.nefferbea is faster than slow light.nefferbea is faster than slow light.nefferbea is faster than slow light.nefferbea is faster than slow light.nefferbea is faster than slow light.nefferbea is faster than slow light.nefferbea is faster than slow light.

Device: Sony PRS600, ipod touch, Sony 950
Oh, man, that sucks! I'm so sorry. I hope that you'll like your replacement!
nefferbea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Sorry!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the kind words...
Thanks for the font/format suggestions Bremen...great info. I do use Calibre to change formats, if needed, and to import a book cover if there isn't one, etc.
I think I'm going to get the 300 today or tomorrow.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
4-eyes
Enthusiast
4-eyes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-300
The 300 is a great device but you do lose a slight bit of functionality in return for portability.

The way it's set up, the text sizes are physically the same size as the 505 so you have less text on the 300's screen vs the 505.

You also lose the page turn buttons on the right hand side that the 505 has but the 300 is small enough to hold in one hand and the 'joypad' disc is pretty usable. Less buttons overall but that isn't really a bad thing.

There's no removable storage but a decent amount built-in, enough for a couple of hundred typical eBooks. Also no audio playback functionality but that's not a feature I ever have used myself on the 505.

It doesn't come with a cover which is a bit of a disappointment.

I got one as a portable companion for my 505 and I've been very pleased with it. I still use the 505 as my main reader at home but the 300 is much more luggable (even though it's not actually a whole lot smaller when you lay it on top of the 505 for comparison) and is the one that goes travelling.

I think Sony definitely made a mistake with the more glossy, less contrast-y screens of the 600 and 700. The 300 continues the design of the 505 but miniaturised slightly.
4-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
joobies
Addict
joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 1, Sony PRS-505
Sorry to hear about your 505.... that is just never good news.

I recently saw a new 505 at Sams Club that was reduced to 198.??
They used to be priced at 250.??

Don't know if it is priced that way in all Sams Clubs. Look for a heavy cardboard representation in with the new release books.
joobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:51 PM   #8
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
To be honest I like the 505 better. I returned the 300 after one week, too many issues with it. I say if ur 505 is still usable and u r comfortable with the power switch sitch keep using it. Sorry!
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:58 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by joobies View Post
I recently saw a new 505 at Sams Club that was reduced to 198.??
They used to be priced at 250.??
That would be a nice find! Even at a price of $250.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #10
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
If I saw a 505 at Sam's for $200 I would buy it.... what a deal....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:03 AM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
If I saw a 505 at Sam's for $200 I would buy it.... what a deal....

I'd buy as many as they had in stock.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #12
prisha
prisha began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-600, Ipod Touch (3rd gen)
i don't know if it is country wide but i saw yesterday in paramus, NJ sony style stores that they are selling display units of 300 and 600 for 40% off ie 300 for 120 dollars and 600 for 179. the cons are i am not sure how bad they are as they r display units.
prisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:17 PM   #13
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
Sorry to hear you dropped the 505. I did that too and messed up the top silver edge. That is a part you can buy from the Sony parts website. I think it cost me about $50. The top assembly includes the slide switch you mentioned. It was a pretty easy repair.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:39 PM   #14
Kai Winters
Lover of Books

Wow...great info Ken.
I'll look into that.
I also have an extended warranty that I purchased for it when I bought it. I've used it once for a problem. I may have "oops I dropped it" coverage as well and will check tonight.
I wound up buying a 300 mainly because I liked the size and weight of it...It is great...very light and compact...great to use at work as I did tonight hehehe.
I may wind up with 2 working ereaders...cool.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:32 AM   #15
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
Congrats on the PRS-300! Great size and screen.

If you do look for the part, here is some info: The site is https://servicesales.sel.sony.com/ec.../web/index.jsp. Enter part
A1362416A in the search box and select Part Number from the drop down box next to it. The cost is $36 plus tax/shipping.

It's nice to have a backup!
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote