Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #31
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks cromag. But with the installing updates, how is Microsoft going to contact me that I need to install updates? (I'm just so used to the updates happening basically automatically when I shut the computer down.) (I just don't want to screw anything up.) And really, I use Chrome all the time, even though IE is my default browser, so what's the big advantage to making Chrome the default browser? Maybe I should just leave well enough alone.
Updates have little linkage to the browser; the control panel update application is totally independent of the browser in recent versions of windows (Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8).

I run with Chrome as the default and have for a few years now. I also do have FireFox installed along with a fully updated install of IE 10 with no issues.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #32
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Thanks cromag. But with the installing updates, how is Microsoft going to contact me that I need to install updates? (I'm just so used to the updates happening basically automatically when I shut the computer down.) (I just don't want to screw anything up.) And really, I use Chrome all the time, even though IE is my default browser, so what's the big advantage to making Chrome the default browser? Maybe I should just leave well enough alone.
If you're using automatic updates, nothing will change. That is a seperate subsystem independent of IE. If you're doing them manually, set a bookmark in IE (Add to Favorites, or whatever it's called), and when you want to do updates, launch IE manually with the blue E, and go to that bookmark.

Unless you tell it not to, IE will also probably ask you if you want to make it the default browser any time you launch it, so it's easy to change back.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #33
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also remember this is one of those religious computer discussions; there is no right or wrong answer, it's whatever YOU are comfortable with.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #34
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Updates have little linkage to the browser; the control panel update application is totally independent of the browser in recent versions of windows (Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8).

I run with Chrome as the default and have for a few years now. I also do have FireFox installed along with a fully updated install of IE 10 with no issues.
Think I'll be okay even though I'm XP and IE8?

Thanks
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #35
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
If you're using automatic updates, nothing will change. That is a seperate subsystem independent of IE. If you're doing them manually, set a bookmark in IE (Add to Favorites, or whatever it's called), and when you want to do updates, launch IE manually with the blue E, and go to that bookmark.

Unless you tell it not to, IE will also probably ask you if you want to make it the default browser any time you launch it, so it's easy to change back.
Thanks taustin and all my updates have always been automatic so I should be okay. But, like I just asked Peter, do you think even though I'm running XP and IE8 I'll be okay with switching?
Old 03-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #36
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Thanks
As far as I know it's a moot point. XP is out of support and I don't think there are any new patches coming for it.

But why don't you just try and see what happens when you launch the Windows update application after making Chrome the default.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
How so JS?
My wife was using Chrome and switched back to Firefox because of Google collection data on her usage.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #38
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
If I recall correctly, Windows Update in XP required ActiveX and IE. If you removed IE, you wouldn't be able to run Windows Update. (That was true if you removed just the browser, and left the libraries behind.) That being said, I think automatic updates was independent of ActiveX and IE.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #39
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
If I recall correctly, Windows Update in XP required ActiveX and IE. If you removed IE, you wouldn't be able to run Windows Update. (That was true if you removed just the browser, and left the libraries behind.) That being said, I think automatic updates was independent of ActiveX and IE.
But I really doubt Gregg intended to REMOVE IE; just to set a different browser as default.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #40
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Warning: Off topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
If WE don't maintain pedantric standards, what will the pedantrists of the future aspire to?
Shouldn't that be 'pedantic?'

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #41
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Thanks
I should note that the last security update for XP from Microsoft will be in April of next year. It would be a really, really, really good idea to replace the computer by then with something running a more current operating system. (You'll have more and more trouble with IE8 as time goes by. Already a lot of web sites are not supporting it, and more and more are giving annoying pop-ups about it.) But any of the others should work fine if you keep them up to date.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #42
taustin
Wizard

Quote:
As far as I know it's a moot point. XP is out of support and I don't think there are any new patches coming for it.
That isn't true yet. Another year, more or less. April 2014.

Quote:
But why don't you just try and see what happens when you launch the Windows update application after making Chrome the default.
It will fail. The XP version uses ActiveX controls, which only work in IE. But the automatic update system is independent.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:04 PM   #43
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

It's over!

Guys, thanks so much. And no, I was never intending to remove IE8. But my computer's working good with IE as the default browser, and I'm using Chrome as the actual browser so everything's cool. I'm just going to leave it the way it is. And thanks (I think-lol) for the heads-up on XP's demise, taustin. My computer is working great. Oh well, at least I have another year. Maybe they'll come up with a patch (or maybe Obama will do one of those free coupon giveaway things like he did for digital TV converters a couple of years ago and I can get a new computer for free). (It could happen.)
Old 03-28-2013, 12:06 AM   #44
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Just to explain, Microsoft's automatic updates are automatic. But ...

As a result of a pretty dramatic malware attack a few years ago I "hardened" my Windows computer. In addition to the usual anti-virus, anti-malware, firewall systems I have several other security programs, including Secunia PSI, which warns me of outdated or insecure versions of software. There have been a few times that Secunia picked up a Microsoft product that didn't have the latest patch. Presumably I would have eventually gotten an automatic update -- but I updated manually rather than wait. For those manual updates I manually called up IE.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:39 AM   #45
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Guys, thanks so much. And no, I was never intending to remove IE8. But my computer's working good with IE as the default browser, and I'm using Chrome as the actual browser so everything's cool. I'm just going to leave it the way it is. And thanks (I think-lol) for the heads-up on XP's demise, taustin. My computer is working great. Oh well, at least I have another year. Maybe they'll come up with a patch (or maybe Obama will do one of those free coupon giveaway things like he did for digital TV converters a couple of years ago and I can get a new computer for free). (It could happen.)
Dont you should set chrome or another browser to default Internet explorer 8 is 2-3 years old and has a lot of vulnerabilities. Better to set chrome the default.
@JSwolf
Firefox is financed by Google and it provides Google the almost the same amount of data as chrome. 70-80% of the legal or above board web runs google ad services so if you use the internet google collects your data so what browser you use is not that important as long as you are on the internet you are owned by Google
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote