Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 05-31-2012, 02:06 AM   #1
jsibauste
jsibauste began at the beginning.

Device: PocketEdge
PocketEdge 7". Can't find USB Debugging

I've had this done in other 7" Edge and I had no problems. This one I have been saving for a while and now I am ready to upgrade. I've downloaded Z4Root and installed it, ran it, and it tells me that I have to enable USB Debugging. When I click ok, it takes me to the Applications settings page and I only see 2 options, Unknown Sources and Manage Applications. Development is not there.

Model = edgejr
Firmware = 1.6
Kernel Ver. = 2.6.29 buildmaster@zeke #4
Build Number = DINGO-1.8

So I cannot root my device. Any help is greatly appreciated.
jsibauste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:35 AM   #2
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
You could try upgrading first. Not sure whether debugging is in Dingo 1.13 or not til Ermine.

Good luck!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
jsibauste

I tried uprading but goes back to Android screen, and of course updating the PE doesn't work any more.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsibauste View Post
I tried uprading but goes back to Android screen, and of course updating the PE doesn't work any more.
A couple of things.

Why do you want to root your PE? If it is because rooting is cool then forget it. If it is because you want to get the market then that has already been done by pablob with his PE upgrade RC3.

What update are you trying to use? Have you read the multiple threads here about updating and the pitfalls that the unwary can fall into?

After you have sorted out what you actually want to do and have followed the instructions in the various threads and if you still have problems.

Come back with a full description of what you have done and what went wrong then we should be able to help you. It is no good saying 'it didn't work' as that gives no information at all.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
jsibauste

I am following the instructions right here ---> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138186

That is what I want to do. I have already upgraded 3 other PE, but since the update is not available anymore, I cannot do it. I take it that when you do the update when you first turn it on and go through the setup process, it gives you the USB debugging utility.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
Filark
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey there, jsibauste! Have you looked at this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=159872. The first post contains the download you (probably) want and instructions.

I'm pretty sure Pablob's rc3 supercedes (or incorporates?) Kenny Minot's work. The only update that is not available (that I know of) is the download from enTourage itself, and even that has been preserved. See: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170249. Just make sure you have the "Pocket" version, as I'm sure you know!

Good luck!!
Old 06-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am following the instructions right here ---> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138186

That is what I want to do. I have already upgraded 3 other PE, but since the update is not available anymore, I cannot do it. I take it that when you do the update when you first turn it on and go through the setup process, it gives you the USB debugging utility.
Assuming your main aim is to get the market then you should get pablob's rc3 update. With that you don't need to mess about with debug.

One thing you must do is read the instructions - open the zip file and read the instructions there and follow them. If you do that you should have few, hopefully none, problems. The main problems being renaming in windows and ending up with update.zip.zip (won't work) and finding a USB stick or SD card that the unit accepts.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
jsibauste

I am sorry for creating this thread. I was changing the name of the original file, not unziping and changing the name of the zip file that was inside the zip file. Thank you all for helping me see where my mistake was.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #9
ivanjt
Guru

Quote:
I am sorry for creating this thread. I was changing the name of the original file, not unziping and changing the name of the zip file that was inside the zip file. Thank you all for helping me see where my mistake was.
Don't be sorry for creating the thread, your mistake and your willingness to admit it could be the very thing that helps someone else with the same, or similar, problem.

The other thing is that we all have done something like that in our lives and the main thing is that we learn from it.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #10
Filark

Congratulations on finding the solution!

I agree with Ivan.

Tags
debug, debugging, root, update, z4root