Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-05-2008, 05:55 AM   #31
kakemoms
kakemoms began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The screen doesn't drain power, but other things - the CPU, RAM, etc - certainly do. You'll drain the battery in 4-5 days if you leave the machine switched on.
My was "on" for a week. No change in battery level (steady at 60%). For reference it has Mobipocket Reader version 6.0 (build 60). I don't know which flash version that is supposed to be, but the battery-indicator-bug is not on mine.
kakemoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:18 AM   #32
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakemoms View Post
My was "on" for a week. No change in battery level (steady at 60%). For reference it has Mobipocket Reader version 6.0 (build 60). I don't know which flash version that is supposed to be, but the battery-indicator-bug is not on mine.
How could it be steady at 60% if you started with a full battery? And how do you know it was on? The battery indicator will not be updated until you do something that updates the screen. So when you run out of battery the screen will be exactly the same and show the battery indicator at the same value.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:07 AM   #33
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wonder how people saying that the battery indicator is not reliable have done their observations. If you have you cybook on all the time and it is in library view and pick it up to read and then check the battery meter than that will not be a reading of the current status. You have to do something like start reading a book and then exit to the library to get the correct value. So if people have not done that it would explain a lot of the observations described in different threads here.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:10 AM   #34
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I wonder how people saying that the battery indicator is not reliable have done their observations. If you have you cybook on all the time and it is in library view and pick it up to read and then check the battery meter than that will not be a reading of the current status. You have to do something like start reading a book and then exit to the library to get the correct value. So if people have not done that it would explain a lot of the observations described in different threads here.
It appears to me that it's reliable down to 50% and then the more it gets used the more reliable the indicator gets between 25%-50%. I've yet to find it consistently reliable below 25%. But then, YMMV.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:36 PM   #35
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakemoms View Post
You can set the display to "landscape" and "fit to width" while displaying PDF. This will zoom the PDF around 130% so that it becomes readable.. thats with glasses or good vision.

I hope the next version of the software comes with "eliminate margins" option so that it will be easier to read the text.
No even setting to landscape and fit to width, the text is ridiculously small and it is not practical to read - I suppose I could use a magnifying glass too . I wish there was a way for me to manipulate the PDF files on my computer to make them so they could be practical to read on the Cybook. As it is now, the PDF option seems more like a marketing afterthought (yes, the Cybook can read PDF files) that is practically useless.

I hope the next firmware release makes this option more useful.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:28 PM   #36
Ceri
Ceri began at the beginning.

I've just joined here and i wonder if someone could answer some questions for me please. (i'm not too technical so simple instructions would be best, thanks) I've just bought myself a new cybook gen 3 and i got it yesterday. Today the screen completely froze on the 'connected' screen. I pressed reset and the light turned off, but the screen was still frozen. I pressed the on button and it started up again normally, then froze on the loading screen before the library. If I do 'reset' and 'on' again the same sequence of events happens.
Can you suggest any solutions? Or do I have to contact bookeen and send it back? Please help, I want my little cybook to live again!
Ceri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:18 PM   #37
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri View Post
I've just joined here and i wonder if someone could answer some questions for me please. (i'm not too technical so simple instructions would be best, thanks) I've just bought myself a new cybook gen 3 and i got it yesterday. Today the screen completely froze on the 'connected' screen. I pressed reset and the light turned off, but the screen was still frozen. I pressed the on button and it started up again normally, then froze on the loading screen before the library. If I do 'reset' and 'on' again the same sequence of events happens.
Can you suggest any solutions? Or do I have to contact bookeen and send it back? Please help, I want my little cybook to live again!
Okay,

First thing to remember is to not pull or insert the SD card during boot-up or switching to/from Library.

Second this is not to put in pictures which are LARGE or ebooks with LARGE cover images, because the Cybook *will* choke attempting to create a thumbnail image for the library.

Does that help?

Derek
Old 01-05-2008, 07:50 PM   #38
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

I think that adding a lot of fonts can cause these problems also.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:17 AM   #39
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Okay, I've been playing around with some of my PDF files and I've got them now where I can read them on the Cybook.

Since I have the full version of Adobe Acrobat, I opened up some of my PDF files there and removed the white margins (open up a PDF file, select all pages then select Document > Crop Pages > place a checkmark in the box next to "Remove White Margins").

Now when I open up the files on my Cybook, I don't see wide margins. The print is still smaller than I'd like, but much, much better than before.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:50 AM   #40
Ceri
Ceri began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Okay,

First thing to remember is to not pull or insert the SD card during boot-up or switching to/from Library.

Second this is not to put in pictures which are LARGE or ebooks with LARGE cover images, because the Cybook *will* choke attempting to create a thumbnail image for the library.

Does that help?
Thanks a lot! i think i tried to put the SD card in at the wrong time. Its all fine now
Ceri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:22 AM   #41
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri View Post
Thanks a lot! i think i tried to put the SD card in at the wrong time. Its all fine now
Glad I could be of help. I kind of thought that might be the problem, but you know how it goes... without actually seeing it, I had to guess.

Derek
Old 01-11-2008, 07:13 AM   #42
orlincho
Enthusiast
orlincho began at the beginning.

Device: Gen3(brick)/NOOK/NOKIA E52
Lightbulb CYRILIC on CYBOOK

Q: What for showing Cyrilic text in CYBOOK in different formats.

A1: Mobipocket Convertor converts quite well cyrilic TXT/DOC/HTML in PRC and it is shown correctly with internal fonts.

A2: simple TXT files in ASCII format can be viewed by using fonts found HERE for win1251 or KOI8 encoding.

A3: PDF shows cyrilic text correctly.
orlincho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:26 PM   #43
delphidb96
Wizard

The SD card MUST BE inserted with the contacts-side to the front!

Yep. This was not made clear in the Quick Start Guide sheet, but I have been assured either the orientation will be more clearly marked on the Cybook or the QS Guide will be updated to make that MUCH more clear. Quite possibly both.

Derek
Old 02-29-2008, 09:50 PM   #44
Kitty
Kitty began at the beginning.

Device: Aaahhhhahahahaha! It's heeeee-rrre! ... oh. CyBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
... First thing to remember is to not pull or insert the SD card during boot-up or switching to/from Library....
I stumbled into a similar problem. So, is the safest way to use the card to boot up completely, then insert the card? Or is it better to insert the card and then power up?

If the problem is large cover-art on the book, is there a way to scrub the picture or reduce its size?

Thanks!
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:24 AM   #45
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
I stumbled into a similar problem. So, is the safest way to use the card to boot up completely, then insert the card? Or is it better to insert the card and then power up?

If the problem is large cover-art on the book, is there a way to scrub the picture or reduce its size?

Thanks!
I prefer booting w/o the SD card in the slot. I also prefer removing the SD card while the unit is turned on but in the Library. But that's just me.

And if the large file gives you a problem, delete it.

Derek