Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
WinterRampage
WinterRampage began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1
Stuck with a blank screen.

Hey guys,

Yesterday I shutted down the reader (full shutdown) and haven't been able to start it ever since. The battery was full at the time. Currently, when I try to power it on, the led blinks orange continuously ( it lasts for a variable amount of time; a couple of minutes usualy and then stops ). I almost sure that it's fully charged since when I try to charge it (using a wall plug), the red light lasts 1-2 minutes then stops. If I keep pluging it the red light time becomes shorter unitl it doesn't appear at all. Also it was fully charged when I shutted it up. (Also if it's off any help, sometimes the orange light flashes during the contiunous red light)

In the last weeks I had problems with it discharging to fast. I fixed it removing all the books, but after that I added some of them back. Eventhough it didn't had any discharge problems, this is the first time I shutted it down, so a corrupt book is a possibility .

Taking all of this into account, I'm almost sure it's a software problem. From what i've heard (i may be wrong here), the orange light indicates some processing going on. Thus, the reader may be stuck trying to load or process something.

The big problem is that i can't do a hard reset (since I can't get to the opening book screen), or a sd recovery (same reason). Pressing the restart button doesn't help (just causes the orange light to start flashing when it's not). Also, I can't acces the files on my computer since it requires it actually running (tried both on Windows and on Linux). The PC simply doesn't recive any signal ( the /var/log/messages file on linux doesn't detect any event when connecting or disconnecting).

Do you guys have any other ideas of what I can try, or what the problem is?

Thank you.
WinterRampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
How long are you letting it charge from the wall plug? If it's completely out, I'd say give it a good four hours, if not overnight.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
WinterRampage

I did charge it overnight last night. Still no use. After some time, the red light stops and only the orange pulse (or nothing) remains. Also it was wall-pluged for most of today.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
I wish you luck, but don't have any real ideas that could help.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Do you have an sd card installed? if so take it out and try resetting it again... a bad sd card can cause the problems you describe and clean the screen I had a dirty screen cause problems... good luck...
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
WinterRampage

No, I didn't had any SD card inserted. As for the dirty screen, i doubt it could cause this problem, but i'll clean it anyways.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Sounds like a duff battery - contact Sony Support - is it still in Warranty ?

Otherwise, somewhere on the Fotum is a source of batteries for Sonys, also, I think, info on where there's a how-to video.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:02 AM   #8
WinterRampage

Looks like there may be a hardware problem afterall. This morning, the reader was completley discharged, as the led flashed three times red. This was to be expected since it flashed orange all night (at least a couple of hours then i went to sleep). If this indicates a process, full discharge is normal.

Anyway, I pluged it in my computer and the red light only lasted a couple of minutes, after that being replaced by the orange flashing. Maybe the battery doesn't charge afterall. I don't think it's the case, but could it have something to do with the USB cable am using? (the small one which comes with Nokia phones).

Thanks for the support guys!
Old 07-02-2012, 07:56 AM   #9
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
I have noticed that every charger has a tiny bit of difference even though they are supposed to be the same. Why not try the charger that came with the T1 and remove the cover in case it is the problem?
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #10
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
that is Weird... the only time I see the orange led is when I insert the sd card the orange led indicates loading/reading the sd card I can only suggest you keep on charging and resetting sometimes it will fix itself... try a hard reset when really desperate... let us know how you make out
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #11
WinterRampage

I'll try charging with the provided cable as soon as i'll get home, which is tomorrow afternoon. I don't know if removing the case (for making sure that the battery is fit?) would void the warranty.

As for the hard reset, that's not possible since it doesn't even start. From what i know, it must reach the "Opening book" loading screen in order to do it.

Now the bad news. I can't find neither the receipt nor the warranty card (the one issued from the store I bought it from, not the card inside the box from Sony, which is unpersonalized). I asked them if the serial is written on the small sticker with 7 digits on the lower left back corner, but they said it's on the warranty card. I believe the Serial Number should be written somewhere on or inside the reader. Anyone knows where? Also, if it's inside, would removing the case void the warranty?

Edit: It's possible that I'm misinterpreting the email I received. It literally says (translation): "Also, the product's SN is on the warranty certificate, which proves from where (as in from which shop) you've bought the product". I'm not sure whether this means that the sticker doesn't list the SN or if they need the warranty certificate because they don't have the SN in a database.

Edit2: Just in case I don't manage to make them fix it: is it possible to have it repaired at a Sony Center for a fee?

Last edited by WinterRampage; 07-02-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #12
WinterRampage

I just tried the Sony Tech Support, yet they didn't managed to find a solution (in the end they said it has to be the battery). I'm quite curious whether a corrupt book could cause this. Common sense indicates that it should at least try to load the OS (and show some prompt on the screen) before tempering with the user files.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #13
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
You opened the reader??? Yes I do believe that does void the warranty.

I never know how to explain this properly so forgive me if I don't but try using a dedicated AC charger that has a Micro USB plug not one of those iPod type chargers where you plug a USB cable into something that plugs into the wall.

Something like this Micro USB Wall Charger
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #14
WinterRampage

Well, I haven't opened the reader. I was just curious if you can do that without voiding the warranty.

Even though I used to charge it with a Nokia cable, and a cheap third party USB wall charger (which, if I remember correctly, came in a 3rd party Apple charging kit which I bought for my iPod), yesterday I tried that with a proper USB cable and wall plug (also with the PC) and nothing happens. I'm almost sure the way I charge it is not the problem, since the red light appears for some time, then stops.

Since I haven't been able to find the warranty, and the shop from which I bought it wouldn't help me without it, I think I'l go to a Sony Service Center and have it repaired for a fee.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:06 AM   #15
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Any cable with the right plug will work OK, any charger with the same spec as a Sony one will work OK, a PowerMonkey will charge it OK.
Oh, and the PC/USB will to - only don't leave it charging on PC overnight, can lead to battery draining on rare ocassions.

AND, v. important, and may be relevant ?

NEVER use anything Apple-y on it, as they do not like each other very much, and has led to great unhappiness on the Sony .
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote