Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-03-2007, 03:27 AM   #31
BACbKA
мокрец
BACbKA began at the beginning.

Device: palm, iliad
does dillo on iliad automatically work with int'l pages (such as cyrillic) (when a corresponding page shows up OK on dillo on my debian), or does one have to install fonts for that?
BACbKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:15 AM   #32
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Yokos: Thanks a lot for your improved packaging and for the connection scripts package! It was avery needed update :-b.
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2007, 04:27 AM   #33
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACbKA
does dillo on iliad automatically work with int'l pages (such as cyrillic) (when a corresponding page shows up OK on dillo on my debian), or does one have to install fonts for that?
No, the supplied dillo doesn't includes the intl. support patches. It's a vanilla one.

The debian one is a heavily hacked dillo (with the intl pacthes, frames support patches, ssl support...), but is a lot more unstable than the original dillo and that's the reason I used the original one.

I've not even looked at what dependencies it has... but it should be compilable for the iliad, of course. I cannot do it right now, but perhaps someone can volunteer for it (Mike B.? That would be a nice test of your toolchain installation ).
Old 09-27-2007, 05:59 AM   #34
jbui
jbui began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Dillo and version 2.11

I had Dillo installed in my iLiad with version 2.10.2 and worked perfectly. After upgrading to version 2.11 it does not work any more. Perhaps did I lose my shell rights by upgrading?(or it is the Dillo browser not compatible with version 2.11?)
jbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:26 AM   #35
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
After each software upgrade you will have to re-request the developers package.

But for 2.11 it is not yet working.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2007, 03:08 AM   #36
jbui

Fonts for Mathematical display on Dillo

Dillo already works with version 2.11.
I use Dillo mainly to surf Wikipedia pages related to Mathematics and Physics stuff. Mathematical expressions not always are correctly displayed (missing or wrong exponentials and other symbols). I have tried to put a lot of scientific truetype fonts in Dillo's fonts directory but without any success. Anyone knows a solution to this problem?
Old 10-05-2007, 11:01 AM   #37
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbui View Post
Dillo already works with version 2.11.
I use Dillo mainly to surf Wikipedia pages related to Mathematics and Physics stuff. Mathematical expressions not always are correctly displayed (missing or wrong exponentials and other symbols). I have tried to put a lot of scientific truetype fonts in Dillo's fonts directory but without any success. Anyone knows a solution to this problem?
Current dillo doesn't support ttf fonts (it uses gtk+1.2).

Three possible solutions (all requires work):
1. Find a suitable ttf font and convert it to BDF with fontforge ( http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/ ), then convert the BDF to pcf with bdf2pdf (using your favorite UNIX or Linux platform). The resulting font should be put in one the font directories and "mkfontdir ." should be executed in that directory to refresh the font directory (again, in UNIX or Linux). That is to make the font suitable for gtk+1.2. After all that work, dillo would have to be configured (.dillo/dillorc) to use that font. The "configuring dillo" part is what I'm less sure on what have to be done.

2. The dillo team has just published a new alpha version that uses fltk2 instead of gtk+1.2. Fltk2 supports ttf fonts, antialiasing, ect. I've downloaded it, but have not had the chance to compile it yet. If it works, I'll update the dillo package with it. This one would resolve your problems is a clean and easy way, but I'm very unreliable about having free time...

3. There is a very interesting article about a port of WebKit to SDL (among other platforms) here: http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6750053334.html .If it compiles cleanly for the iliad, THAT is a complete browser (WebKit is the engine behind Apple's Safary, based off KHTML). It has CSS, JavaScript, et all. Really, this could be a good solution to escape from the bundled minimo. Alas, this option is clearly marked as FUTURE ;-).

Hope that helps a bit.

My recommendation is to wait a week or so to see if (2) is feasible ;-).

UPDATE: dillo-fltk needs some polishing right now, even for experimenting. Have compiled for x86 and crashes. There are reports of working in x86, but it consistently crashes in x86_64 and other archs; i.e. there is a report of compiling it for familiar on the iPAQ, which is another ARM device, and only works when forwarding the display to the PC, not in the local display... they're hammering the bugs, but it'll take a while until it's as usable as the gtk+1.2 dillo. I'll keep you posted ;-).

UPDATE2: the crash I was experimenting in x86 with dillo-fltk was only because the ~/.dillo directory didn't existed. After creating it, it works for me. Ok, utf-8 is working, but I'm not so sure about ttf fonts for the main window. Will have to investigate it a bit

Last edited by Antartica; 10-05-2007 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Add the update
Old 10-05-2007, 02:08 PM   #38
Pitchfork
Connoisseur
Pitchfork began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad/Ipaq 6340
With regard to solution 3:

I noticed the following at the end of the article about WebKit:

Quote:
In related news, Trolltech earlier this week announced plans to integrate Webkit with its Qt desktop and embedded development frameworks.
Perhaps some help could eventually come from this other project by Aena.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14221

I do not know much about Linux / Iliad development, but the quote made a bell ring in my head.
Pitchfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:37 AM   #39
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchfork View Post
With regard to solution 3:

I noticed the following at the end of the article about WebKit:

Perhaps some help could eventually come from this other project by Aena.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14221

I do not know much about Linux / Iliad development, but the quote made a bell ring in my head.
Nice! I didn't noticed that thread. I would love to see his display driver for qtopia (rectangle updates, yum!).

Hope that Trolltech finish his port of WebKit to Qtopia soon. Tha coupled with Aenea's work would fulfill (3).

(off-topic)
Alas, I like having an X server (luckily, there is one for Qtopia, but I think it has not been ported to Qtopia 4...)
(end of off-topic)
Old 10-08-2007, 04:05 AM   #40
jbui

Bookmarks with Dillo

Someone knows why bookmarks do not work with Dillo?, putting the stylus on the book ikon only produce the error message: can't start dpid daemon!
Old 10-08-2007, 07:47 AM   #41
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbui View Post
Someone knows why bookmarks do not work with Dillo?, putting the stylus on the book ikon only produce the error message: can't start dpid daemon!
Because the iliad dillo distribution doesn't contains the dpid daemon nor the bookmarks dpi. DPI's are the method of dillo for supporting plug-ins. Https, bookmarks and the download manager are DPIs (opening file htmls also needed a dpi, but that part was patched so to not need the dpi) .

I didn't include them because I was unsure of how to manage the life of dpid.

If/when dillo-fltk is ported to the iliad, dpi's will be included .
Old 01-07-2008, 03:04 PM   #42
serge
Enthusiast
serge has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iRex iLiad
I liked browsing with dillo much better than with the current port of minimo - a readable font is chosen and refreshes are much better in dillo.
I could not figure out how to save a page in minimo, while it's pretty obvious in dillo. Now I can save longer pages and read them later offline with either FBreader or (heavily marked-up ones) mobireader.

I noticed that if I flip pages with the flipbar, the green LED is then always blinking. To make it go away I lock and unlock the keys with the stylus.

After a long session, on exit, dillo blackened the screen and I could not get into any controls. Only rebooting helped.

All-in-all, even with some glitches, I found dillo very usable and useful. Huge thanks, Antartica!
serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:25 AM   #43
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge View Post
I noticed that if I flip pages with the flipbar, the green LED is then always blinking. To make it go away I lock and unlock the keys with the stylus.
Yep. That's a bug in the hacked libX11.so, but I don't know how to fix it. I mean, to my knowledge, I do in the libX11 all th necessary steps for stopping the blinking light, and it works the first time (the loading app blinking), but when its lit by page turns it ignores my request to stop it :-?

Quote:
After a long session, on exit, dillo blackened the screen and I could not get into any controls. Only rebooting helped.
Uh? If you manage to get that behavior "reliably", I would love to hear how to reproduce it (to try to fix it ;-).

Quote:
All-in-all, even with some glitches, I found dillo very usable and useful. Huge thanks, Antartica!
thanks for the compliments :-).
Old 01-10-2008, 07:24 PM   #44
serge
Enthusiast
serge has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica View Post
Uh? If you manage to get that behavior "reliably", I would love to hear how to reproduce it (to try to fix it ;-).
When I lock the device by hitting the PIN icon, while dillo is running, unPIN it, and then try to quit dillo, dillo freezes. If I then try to refresh the screen with anything, the screen blackens and the device does not seem to respond to anything. PINning and unPINning again wakes it up. On unPINning, dillo is gone.

Last edited by serge; 01-10-2008 at 07:26 PM.
serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:33 AM   #45
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
When I lock the device by hitting the PIN icon, while dillo is running, unPIN it, and then try to quit dillo, dillo freezes. If I then try to refresh the screen with anything, the screen blackens and the device does not seem to respond to anything. PINning and unPINning again wakes it up. On unPINning, dillo is gone.
Thanks. I'll look at it as time permits.