Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-24-2009, 12:06 AM   #31
chip
chip began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
hi
I am trying to increase the disappointing clipping limit on an amazon azw file. I installed mobi2mobi, I believe successfully. The ln assignments seem not to have worked, so I created ~/eBooks/tools/ which is where the scripts all reside and moved the azw file there. Then, I run ./mobi2mobi bookname.azw and get an error.

I'm running on a mac in snow leopard 10.6.1 which worries me a little.

The error is:

[chipg5s-Computer-2...\ tools]$ ./mobi2mobi Parallel\ Worlds\ A\ Journey\ Throug-asin_B000GCFCL4-type_EBOK-v_0.azw
Can't locate GD.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /Users/chipg5/eBooks/tools /Library/Perl/Updates/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/Updates/5.10.0 /System/Library/Perl/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/5.10.0 /Library/Perl/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.10.0 /Network/Library/Perl/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Network/Library/Perl/5.10.0 /Network/Library/Perl /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.10.0 .) at /Users/chipg5/eBooks/tools/MobiPerl/Util.pm line 23.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /Users/chipg5/eBooks/tools/MobiPerl/Util.pm line 23.
Compilation failed in require at ./mobi2mobi line 54.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./mobi2mobi line 54.

Anyone have a clue? I'd appreciate it.

thanks in advance.
chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:12 AM   #32
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
Can't locate GD.pm in @INC
There is extra software needed, including LibGD, to run MobiPerl on a Mac, see Install Mobi2Mobi Mac.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2009, 08:38 AM   #33
chip
chip began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Yes, I know. I did the entire install, but that's why I was a little concerned about my OS as 10.6. In the jpeg lib install, the instructions say:
Now to make the library itself.
export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.5
(use 10.4 if you have Tiger.)

So, I did:
export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.6

...worrying that some pointer will not know to go there. As I look back at the install transcript, indeed I find:

cpan[3]> install GD
Running install for module 'GD'
Running make for L/LD/LDS/GD-2.44.tar.gz
Fetching with LWP:
ftp://cpan-du.viaverio.com/pub/CPAN/...GD-2.44.tar.gz
Fetching with LWP:
ftp://cpan-du.viaverio.com/pub/CPAN/.../LDS/CHECKSUMS
Checksum for /Users/chipg5/.cpan/sources/authors/id/L/LD/LDS/GD-2.44.tar.gz ok
Will not use Archive::Tar, need 1.00
GD-2.44/
GD-2.44/t/
GD-2.44/t/test.out.3.jpeg
GD-2.44/t/GD.t
GD-2.44/t/tile.jpeg
GD-2.44/t/test.out.4.jpeg
GD-2.44/t/test.out.5.jpeg
GD-2.44/t/test.out.6.jpeg
GD-2.44/t/test.out.7.jpeg
GD-2.44/t/test.out.8.jpeg
GD-2.44/t/test.out.9.jpeg
GD-2.44/t/test.out.3.png-1
GD-2.44/t/Polyline.t
GD-2.44/t/test.out.4.png-1
GD-2.44/t/test.out.4.png-2
GD-2.44/t/test.out.10.png-1
GD-2.44/t/test.out.10.png-2
GD-2.44/t/test.out.10.png-3
GD-2.44/t/test.out.1.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.2.gif
GD-2.44/t/test.out.2.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.3.gif
GD-2.44/t/test.out.3.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.4.gif
GD-2.44/t/test.out.4.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.5.gif
GD-2.44/t/test.out.5.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.6.gif
GD-2.44/t/test.out.6.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.7.gif
GD-2.44/t/test.out.7.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.8.gif
GD-2.44/t/test.out.8.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.9.gif
GD-2.44/t/test.out.9.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.5.png-1
GD-2.44/t/Generic.ttf
GD-2.44/t/test.out.6.png-1
GD-2.44/t/test.out.7.png-1
GD-2.44/t/frog.jpg
GD-2.44/t/frog.xpm
GD-2.44/t/test.out.10.jpeg
GD-2.44/t/test.out.8.png-1
GD-2.44/t/test.out.8.png-2
GD-2.44/t/test.out.8.png-3
GD-2.44/t/test.out.8.png-4
GD-2.44/t/test.out.8.png-5
GD-2.44/t/test.out.8.png-6
GD-2.44/t/tile.gif
GD-2.44/t/tile.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.2.png-1
GD-2.44/t/test.out.9.png-1
GD-2.44/t/test.out.9.png-2
GD-2.44/t/palettemap.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.10.gif
GD-2.44/t/test.out.10.png
GD-2.44/t/test.out.2.jpeg
GD-2.44/GD/
GD-2.44/GD/Group.pm
GD-2.44/GD/Polygon.pm
GD-2.44/GD/Simple.pm
GD-2.44/GD/Image.pm.PLS
GD-2.44/GD/Polyline.pm
GD-2.44/GD.pm
GD-2.44/GD.xs
GD-2.44/demos/
GD-2.44/demos/brushes.pl
GD-2.44/demos/font_list.png
GD-2.44/demos/fonttest
GD-2.44/demos/polys.pl
GD-2.44/demos/fills.pl
GD-2.44/demos/truetype_test
GD-2.44/demos/shapes.pl
GD-2.44/demos/copies.pl
GD-2.44/demos/ttf.pl
GD-2.44/demos/gd_example.cgi
GD-2.44/demos/tile.png
GD-2.44/demos/polyline.pl
GD-2.44/demos/transform.pl
GD-2.44/qd.pl
GD-2.44/README
GD-2.44/Makefile.PL
GD-2.44/README.QUICKDRAW
GD-2.44/META.yml
GD-2.44/typemap
GD-2.44/bdf_scripts/
GD-2.44/bdf_scripts/README
GD-2.44/bdf_scripts/bdf2gdfont.PLS
GD-2.44/bdf_scripts/bdftogd
GD-2.44/bdf_scripts/bdf2gdfont.pl
GD-2.44/README.unix
GD-2.44/ChangeLog
GD-2.44/MANIFEST

CPAN.pm: Going to build L/LD/LDS/GD-2.44.tar.gz

Notice: Type perl Makefile.PL -h for command-line option summary.

**UNRECOVERABLE ERROR**
Could not find gdlib-config in the search path. Please install libgd 2.0.28 or higher.
If you want to try to compile anyway, please rerun this script with the option --ignore_missing_gd.
Warning: No success on command[/usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL]
LDS/GD-2.44.tar.gz
/usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL -- NOT OK
Running make test
Make had some problems, won't test
Running make install
Make had some problems, won't install
Failed during this command:
LDS/GD-2.44.tar.gz : writemakefile NO '/usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL' returned status 512

Which went by and I didn't notice it. So, indeed, gdlib-config is not in the path.

any ideas?

thanks.
chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #34
MadDog_
MadDog_ will become famous soon enoughMadDog_ will become famous soon enoughMadDog_ will become famous soon enoughMadDog_ will become famous soon enoughMadDog_ will become famous soon enoughMadDog_ will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
I realize that this thread is pretty old, but going back to Catsong's Original Post, I too have the same exact problem and wound up finding this thread through Google.

I'm reading my Kindle books on an iPad, and wound up with the "clipping limit exceeded" problem clipping off my notes.

I've read the posts on using mobi2mobi to delete the clipping limit record but am not quite sure how to test this out. I have the following questions:

1) If I delete the clipping limit from the .azw file, will the clipped notes now be available, or would I have to start a book from scratch?

2) After deleting the clipping limit from the PC copy of the .azw, I'm assuming that I have to transfer that copy back to my iPad. Is that correct, and if so, can anyone tell me how to do that?

Thank you so much for any help. The whole clipping limit thing has been a total bummer for me and is really limiting one of the major reasons I got an iPad, which was to create electronic notes created via Kindle.
MadDog_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #35
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

Be very careful. Very recent Kindle ebooks have changed to use the clipping limit as one of the metadata fields that are used in the calculation of the PID key for all of its books. So if you have bought a new Kindle ebook (with DRM) and remove or change the clipping limit, you will probably not be able to view it in Kindle or remove the DRM using the "tools".

So if you decide to change the clipping limit on a book purchased very recently (in the last few days) you may not be able to actually open the ebook if you do not remove the DRM first. So please remember to keep a completely unmodified copy of the ebook around.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #36
Luisiko
Luisiko began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Pfffff

Hi, I am new. I am trying to understand what you all have written, but... O_O

I am not very good at computers, and I don't speak English very well. The thing is... Is there finally any easy way to remove the clipping limit? or at least increase it to 100%?

I have recently bought a Kindle 3 in order to extract easily some passages while I read. And now I find that is useless! :'( I need my kindle for an academic use, but not with books from Amazon. I use pdf papers converted to Mobi, I suppose free-DRM...

Is there any easy thing that I can do in my files to remove the clipping limit? Could anyone explain it to me in a way for dummies?!?! Thank you very much.
Luisiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #37
Jeff L
Zealot
Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If you're using mobi files which you've created yourself, then there are no clipping limits on them.

The clipping limit is set by publishers when they make their ebooks. They aren't automatically set on all ebooks.
Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:46 AM   #38
Luisiko
Luisiko began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks for the response.

But then, why do i have a clippings limit in an academic pdf. paper that I got from my teacher and converted via Amazon?
Luisiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exceeded, my clippings