Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #61
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Do NOT risk the Touch 2.1.4 on a Glo.

A factory reset will take you back to whatever firmware came with the device originally.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:45 AM   #62
Sound
Sound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Maybe I haven't been clear.
I'm going to try to be polite here. You've been posting the same opinion over and over again each time with a different angle.

Some of the arguments you make are just plain wrong: "Face it, normal none technical people are moving things on and off their Kobo's. What happens if they accidentally delete all of the files? What happens if their computer has a problem and corrupts the drive?"

Is this to imply it will brick your kobo? Go ahead and try it. I've formatted my Touch's drive. You lose all your stuff (well you formatted... duh!) but the device works fine and you can recover it with a factory reset.

So shock! Not everyone agrees with you! Suffice to say you've made your point (if there was one to be made). Now you are entitled to your opinion, but remind me how is posting the same thing every 5 minutes supposed to be productive?
Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2012, 03:11 AM   #63
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound View Post
I'm going to try to be polite here. You've been posting the same opinion over and over again each time with a different angle.

Some of the arguments you make are just plain wrong: "Face it, normal none technical people are moving things on and off their Kobo's. What happens if they accidentally delete all of the files? What happens if their computer has a problem and corrupts the drive?"

Is this to imply it will brick your kobo? Go ahead and try it. I've formatted my Touch's drive. You lose all your stuff (well you formatted... duh!) but the device works fine and you can recover it with a factory reset.

So shock! Not everyone agrees with you! Suffice to say you've made your point (if there was one to be made). Now you are entitled to your opinion, but remind me how is posting the same thing every 5 minutes supposed to be productive?
So, sarcastic is polite nowadays? Fun!

Maybe Murg has to keep repeating what they're saying because no-one has actually really come up with a proper reply yet. (Except for some that understand the point (see below) but just don't deem it necessary.)

Quote:
Over the past year, Kobo users have been trained that they can manually load firmware updates. We were warned that after 2.1.4 future firmware may be targetted to specific devices and may be 'incompatible' with the non-targetted devices in the future. There is a fairly large difference between 'incompatible' and 'will render useless'. 2.1.5 came out without any announcement, and specifically without an announcement that the firmware was targetted to specific devices and that it would break the Glo.

Consider two facts, the first of which is that 'incompatible' is not a very strong word or warning. In fact, I found that the 2.0.0a official release was incompatible with my Australian Touch. The second fact is that 2.1.5 is an emergency bug fix release and the clear assumption was that it was just 2.1.4 with the major bug fixed, not that it was the first of these future releases. In fact, while one can make the argument that while it was technically a future release and covered by the warning, in my mind I was expecting the next feature release (now 2.1.6? 2.2.0?) to be the one that we had to be careful of.

In fact, 2.1.5 was not really a 'release' in that Kobo did not update the release notes, and the 2.1.4 release notes are displayed on the device when you update to the 2.1.5 firmware. Nor was 2.1.5 announced here on MR, which seems to be the place for Kobo to announce new releases.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:01 AM   #64
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
my 2 cents...

Why do people sideload firmwares?
Because they are not satisfied with the actual one.

When I bought my Kobo it updated to 1.9.17, this was the one with no margin on top.
It was impossible for me to use the device with that firmware without reconverting all my books to give them some extra space on top. Which I did not do. It was Kobos fault, not the fault of my books.
Well, things like this can happen.
But it took Kobo months to come up with a new firmware! Until today I don't understand why there was not an updated 1.9.17a the second next day which did not introduce anything new but just add the top-margin...

I was really glad when I found out how to get older firmwares to the device, so I installed 1.9.16, which (for me!) was much better than 17.
Then, months later, came 2.x, which was WAY WAY WAY better then 1.9.x, it just had some bugs.
But Kobo is/was working on this, and everything will get fine, I have no doubt right now about that.

What I do not understand, why do you roll out the firmware location- or whatever-related?
Give the user the choise...
Kobo Desktop knows the users Kobo, it can tell him "for your device we can install 1.9.16, 1.9.17, 2.0, 2.1.5 which one do you want?"
And if there are still some problems on (some Australien?) devices to install 2.1.5 then do not offer this for devices that have this problems (I am sure you can find out by some IDs).

The problem right now is that people wait for 2.1.4 (or newer) but Kobo Desktop does not offer it.

If the actual firmware on some Kobos is one that causes problems (reboots or whatever) people will search for other ways like sideloading firmware.

My advice to Kobo, listen to what the user want. Checfk things like the "Firmware 2.1.4 Plugin Alpha Release", there is a reason why things like that get offered.
I completely understand that you want to sell books.
But no matter how many Wishlists, Discovers, Recommandations or whatever you put on the start screen, this is simply not the way *I* buy books. A "Shelves" button would be more useful for many users.

And some settings for formatting the SD card... New tapzones... Installable dictionaries (that you actually CAN sell! The installed English-German is a joke!)...
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:26 AM   #65
azbdsf
Aka Redfish
azbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Do NOT risk the Touch 2.1.4 on a Glo.
Arguments to be so categorical ?
In the first post it say 2.1.4 is shared firmware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
A factory reset will take you back to whatever firmware came with the device originally.
The factory reset make back my Kobo to 2.1.2... and want to have 2.1.4.
azbdsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #66
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbdsf View Post
Arguments to be so categorical ?
In the first post it say 2.1.4 is shared firmware...
This is a belief, not a certainty. I'll review the first post. I have not heard of any problems with 2.1.4.

Quote:
The factory reset make back my Kobo to 2.1.2... and want to have 2.1.4.
Now that you have factory reset, doing a normal sync with the Kobo Desktop should update your device to 2.1.5.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #67
azbdsf
Aka Redfish
azbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
This is a belief, not a certainty. I'll review the first post. I have not heard of any problems with 2.1.4.
On my forum (AlexandriZ), one habe briked is glo with the 2.1.4 gived here... maybe unrelated, just unlucky, but want to be sure.

Quote:
Now that you have factory reset, doing a normal sync with the Kobo Desktop should update your device to 2.1.5.
That is my problem... I don't want 2.1.5 but 2.1.4... impossible with Kobo desktop or synchro with the kobo in wifi.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #68
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
On my forum (AlexandriZ), one habe briked is glo with the 2.1.4 gived here... maybe unrelated, just unlucky, but want to be sure.

That is my problem... I don't want 2.1.5 but 2.1.4... impossible with Kobo desktop or synchro with the kobo in wifi.
If you know how to recover from the bricking, and are aware of the risks, they go ahead with the manual load of 2.1.4, as long as you can recover from it being bricked, if that happens.

There! My lawyer should be happy with that.

Is there something in 2.1.5 that you don't want? It seems to be 2.1.4 with the major bug fix and some minor new features.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #69
azbdsf
Aka Redfish

2.1.5 bug I have not with 2.1.4:
-Very slow when modify the fonts or texts options.
-Text become very blur after the page of the refresh (= only the page who have the refresh is ok).
Now I must use refresh on every page... before a refresh every 6 pages was ok.
-When I open the read menu, choose a option who open a windows, and close it... the text who was under the window is more dark, bold and blur.
-Freeze many sec when I change of chapter.
Have no one of this problem when I was in 2.1.4.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:24 AM   #70
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
2.1.5 bug I have not with 2.1.4:
-Very slow when modify the fonts or texts options.
-Text become very blur after the page of the refresh (= only the page who have the refresh is ok).
Now I must use refresh on every page... before a refresh every 6 pages was ok.
-When I open the read menu, choose a option who open a windows, and close it... the text who was under the window is more dark, bold and blur.
-Freeze many sec when I change of chapter.
Have no one of this problem when I was in 2.1.4.

When did you purchase your Glo? I obtained mine the first day it hit the local Chapters and it updated to 2.1.5 on the initial sync so I'm wondering how long you had the Glo and when it updated to 2.1.4?

However if you do want to revert to the 2.1.4 firmware on your Glo, the firmware link is:

http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...date-2.1.4.zip

This URL allows downloading the file, it has kobo4 in the filename and it is 13MB larger than the Touch 2.1.4 firmware file but I have not tested it on my Glo so YMMV.

Bonne chance!
David

Last edited by DNSB; 10-26-2012 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Added file size comment
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:05 AM   #71
azbdsf
Aka Redfish

Pre-order 6/09/12, received 03/10/12 (in FNAC, France).
Come in 2.1.2, upgraded directly at activation in 2.1.4...
The 2.1.5 not exist at this time (dated on 12/10, but released on 17/10).

Thank for the link.

PS: YMMV ? What mean ?

Last edited by azbdsf; 10-27-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #72
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Your Mileage May Vary...

ie.. you might not get the same experience as others did.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:13 AM   #73
azbdsf
Aka Redfish

Thank ^^
Old 11-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #74
murg
No Comment

I updated the first post with the Dictionary direct links.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:22 AM   #75
andrusz
andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andrusz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kindle K3
Hi, do you have a link to Rakuten latest firmware for Kobo Touch?
andrusz is offline   Reply With Quote